A cheaper Diesel swap-a-roo??? Your thoughts please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blue 60 said:
Ok, lets look at the big blue oval then. Ever since the 6.0 powerstroke came out, I have only heard great things about it. Now Ford is producing a "baby" powerstroke in the 4.5L V-6 size. Any word on that or is it too new yet. (But then according to Dallen341 it has all been covered already... :grinpimp: )

Yup...already been covered extensively late 2007 and early 2008. I suspect you missed it!

Don =^)

Tapage said:
why not go with a Toyota diesel engine . ?

Notice the title of the thread.

"Cheaper" and "Toyota Diesel" are two words diametrically opposed to one another. :D

Fred

I have been looking at a first class 1HD-T conversion for my 60. This is NOT cheap. It is not mid-priced. It is EXPENSIVE. Would be a great combination with the five speed. I am still on the fence.

M

I'm sitting at about "T-Minus Three Weeks" to get my 4BT-converted FJ62 back (BTJ62 now, I guess) from Proffitt's Cruisers in CO. It's 4BT mated to the original H55F (via AA GM-pattern adapter, since this 4BT was originally mated to a GM box).

Blew the 3F a while back and when looking at the cost to get it rebuilt, versus the conversion, it made more sense to me to convert it. I'd been looking at a diesel conversion for a LONG time, but I couldn't justify pulling a good engine out. Time and a boatload of miles made the decision for me.

Sat on the fence for a 1HDT or 12HT for a *loooong* time. I have some experience with these conversions and have had the pleasure of driving a converted US-spec FJ60 with a 1HDT, and thought this would make a great combination. But the cost of a Toyota engine and the hassle (not impossibility, but just sheer hassle) and expense of getting spare parts and even some maintenance parts made me pass on it.

I've run a Venezuela-spec FJ62 in the US for 9 years and trust me, waiting for parts from overseas is not a fun thing, especially when the vehicle is down and sorely needed.

In my case the ease of conversion wasn't a big point to consider because regardless of whether I went with a Toyota diesel or a Cummins, I was going to farm out the conversion, I don't have the time, space or expertise to do something like this by myself.

When the beast gets back I'll post some pics and details on the conversion. Folks like GreaseCruiser on this board that are running a 4BT are reporting 22-25 MPG even on sprung-over trucks. That's DOUBLE the fuel efficiency I was getting before, and with the new 40-gallon tank, the truck's operation range will vastly exceed that of my bladder on long trips! :)

sisukid1975 said:
Notice the title of the thread.

"Cheaper" and "Toyota Diesel" are two words diametrically opposed to one another. :D

Fred

Yep I know that .. is the cruel true, but you do one time, well ! with Toy engine.

Exiled said:
When the beast gets back I'll post some pics and details on the conversion. Folks like GreaseCruiser on this board that are running a 4BT are reporting 22-25 MPG even on sprung-over trucks. That's DOUBLE the fuel efficiency I was getting before, and with the new 40-gallon tank, the truck's operation range will vastly exceed that of my bladder on long trips! :)

I demand detailed photos when you get the beast back :) How much lift did you go with (or were you already sprung over)?

I like my 6.2L swap. The first quoted paragraph has a number of issues.

Yes the F was based on a stovebolt 6. the 6.2 has nothing to do with that. It's considerably wider and taller. if you mount the heads in front of the firewall, it needs a lift. When I switched to an auto after lunching a number of clutches, I pulled the motor as well to reposition it further forward. The oil pan is too close to the pumpkin. My fuel pump got destroyed by big bumps as it was. you need a Mark's adapter to move the engine forward with a Toyota trans to clear the heads and keep the shifter in place. I would and did just go with an auto.

A non -turbo 6.2 gives almost the same torque and hp numbers as a 2F. It weighs almost exactly the same as well. It is overall more reliable, but has some big ticket common problems like injector pumps and starters.

It is correct that they are cheap. FL and me both got ours for free IIRC. A good deal would be to buy a military Blazer or K30 and get a 6.2/Th400/NP205 and a pair of D60s all at once.

it needs a overdrive. A 700R4 built for the diesel application would be good. My Th400 is strong enough, but I get crappy highway mileage because it's running too many revs.

I think it runs stronger than a 2F. it sure gets better fuel mileage. Even with diesel now well over $3.

Exiled said:
I'm sitting at about "T-Minus Three Weeks" to get my 4BT-converted FJ62 back (BTJ62 now, I guess) from Proffitt's Cruisers in CO. It's 4BT mated to the original H55F (via AA GM-pattern adapter, since this 4BT was originally mated to a GM box).

Blew the 3F a while back and when looking at the cost to get it rebuilt, versus the conversion, it made more sense to me to convert it. I'd been looking at a diesel conversion for a LONG time, but I couldn't justify pulling a good engine out. Time and a boatload of miles made the decision for me.

Sat on the fence for a 1HDT or 12HT for a *loooong* time. I have some experience with these conversions and have had the pleasure of driving a converted US-spec FJ60 with a 1HDT, and thought this would make a great combination. But the cost of a Toyota engine and the hassle (not impossibility, but just sheer hassle) and expense of getting spare parts and even some maintenance parts made me pass on it.

I've run a Venezuela-spec FJ62 in the US for 9 years and trust me, waiting for parts from overseas is not a fun thing, especially when the vehicle is down and sorely needed.

In my case the ease of conversion wasn't a big point to consider because regardless of whether I went with a Toyota diesel or a Cummins, I was going to farm out the conversion, I don't have the time, space or expertise to do something like this by myself.

Hey Ex, man cant wait to see that baby in action. I had an Idea that I HOPE you took advantage of. My thought was to rhino line (hurculiner) the engine compartment prior to the swap. That way you'd cut down big time on the rattle of that engine. Those babies are loud and you'll have no compensation for it as you are now.

Tom

Moby said:
I demand detailed photos when you get the beast back :) How much lift did you go with (or were you already sprung over)?

Hey one more on the list . I'm also awaiting for those awesome pics .. !

Como van los avances Henry . . ?

Gumby said:
..a good deal would be to buy a military Blazer or K30 and get a 6.2/Th400/NP205 and a pair of D60s all at once.
How does it work when you put a non-Toyota transfer case in a Cruiser? Do the drive shafts line up right? If not, how is that dealt with?

Last edited:
I know advance adapters offers an adapter to mate the NV4500 to the toyota T-case, I am not positive but I think they have one for the auto's to. BTW I may just have a dodge truck coming my way, looks like I am going with the 6bt, can't wait for all that torque. Will keep posted on progress!

Attention rattler-drivers: how much do you think low-sulphur diesel will cost a year from now when it's federally mandated? Diesel's already 10% more than super premium in front range Colorado.

The oil companies are screwing all of us to the wall, especially those who have no choice of type of fuel. Only answer is to go bio.

For those that need diesel power for torque, range, & fuel safety, maybe the cost will be worth it.

Tinker said:
Attention rattler-drivers: how much do you think low-sulphur diesel will cost a year from now when it's federally mandated? Diesel's already 10% more than super premium in front range Colorado.

The oil companies are screwing all of us to the wall, especially those who have no choice of type of fuel. Only answer is to go bio.

For those that need diesel power for torque, range, & fuel safety, maybe the cost will be worth it.

California already has low sulfur diesel mandatory. diesel is about 25c a gallon more expensive than gasoline, $3.25 vs $3, approximately.
My BJ70 gets 25mpg on average, my FJ62 got 12 mpg, my FJ40 got 11. savings on fuel are more than 50%. If you go bio, savings are more like 85%.
what was your argument? :rolleyes:

paulj said:
How does it work when you put a non-Toyota transfer case in a Cruiser? Do the drive shafts line up right? If not, how is that dealt with?

If you put a center output case in a cruiser you have to change the rear end. Either a centered rear out of something else or the mini truck hybrid that has been well documented. Otherwise, you get a Advance Adapters adapter from the trans to the cruiser case.

None of the auto manufacturers seem to be putting all their eggs in the diesel basket. They seem to know which way the wind is blowing and it don't smell like diesel fumes. :D

I'd like to see a study where someone has shown how we could grow enough bio to replace dino diesel. I have heard nothing but the opposite.

You can get the oil for bio from algae. It has the highest oil to mass ratio and grows very quickly and is not to picky about where is grows. IF biodeisel is the wave of the future (and I am not saying it is) then we will see an increase in algae farms in the US. For now I will stick with snaggin WVO and brewing my own. Once I gain a further understanding of how the cummins will handle the veggie I will run it straight off of that stuff.

You don't have to run all vehicles off biodiesel! Maybe if all the cars we drive (when not driving our cruisers, of course), you know.. the little go to work cars, shopping trolleys, etc.. well if they are built like the Toyota Prius (hybrid car) and are backed up by a little high tech diesel running on biodiesel then you could get close to running all of them on biodiesel. Otherwise, if you run them as B50 (50% biodiesel and 50% normal diesel) it apparently has a huge effect on reducing pollution, and obviously reliance on normal diesel.
I've been running my cruiser on biodiesel (100%) for the past three weeks and I think it's great.
But, I can't buy it here so have to make it all myself and that is going to be a hassle.

Very interesting to read this thread particularly that there are more guys out there that have done a diesel swap. I am very happy with my 4BT, it is loud particularly in my unisulated FJ55 but ptherwise a great engine and I absolutely love the diesel and conversion... The 4BT is about the same weight but with some tweaking and tuning, even though it is "quite fast" now it still "feels" like the original 6 cyl to an extent, aka it is light and does not have overbearing power to really make the vehicle haul ass or tow through anything unlike the 6 cyl 6BT.

But at the same time it is doing quite well. Feels sort of like a 2F on roids around town and off road, and close to a V8 on the highway. I loaded down my truck heavily with full roof rack and massive wind obstructions, pushing 7K lbs and took it 14 hours to burning man and it did pretty well even though I had some strange symptoms from a blown head gasket.

For something that is almost completely daily driven or something say on 33's SUA I would almost say go for the 6 cyl. It is a smoother engine and the power does help and I think it would probably be better for DDing in general. But for wheeling and a rig like mine I actually do much prefer the weight of the 4 cyl and it still has reasonable power. Mileage has been pretty high on the highway, now over 20 mpg recently which is great with the engine back to 100%. Hope it helps... Andre

....Mileage has been pretty high on the highway, now over 20 mpg recently which is great with the engine back to 100%. Hope it helps... Andre[/QUOTE]

Andre,
You are only getting around 20 mpg in your 55? I guess you are turning 35"s. Mine with 33"s is averaging 25+. I have had as high as 28 and as low as 23. 23mpg was pulling a 6K lb trailer over a mountain pass.

Sorry to hear about the head gasket. I hope all is well. Later. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom