A/C unit not cold enough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used my A/C for the first time the other day and it was not cold enough. Roasting in the truck and it was only 80 degrees outside. I'm not excited for when it hits 100 degrees in a couple of months. Where would I begin to diagnose the problem? Plenty of air flow - just not cold enough.

It could be many things...refrigerant, pressure switch, damper, sensor, etc. Getting some codes will help to identify a starting point.

Put it in DTC check to help narrow things down:

Hold the Auto and Recirculate/Fresh button while turning the ignition switch to ON.

You should be seeing 1 or more codes if there is a problem, 00 = normal.

I would start simple besides the refrigerant ..

Evaporator ( clean / good shape ? )

Condenser ( clean / good shape ? )

how could it's the temp on your vents ..?

IMHO over 60°F at the vent and there is something wrong with 80°F outside ..

I used my A/C for the first time the other day and it was not cold enough. Roasting in the truck and it was only 80 degrees outside. I'm not excited for when it hits 100 degrees in a couple of months. Where would I begin to diagnose the problem? Plenty of air flow - just not cold enough.

IF I am understanding you correctly (let me know if I am not), then you are saying the 'system' is operating in terms of the unit 'calling' for A/C (I.E. the controls on the dash are working, the fan is blowing, the clutch on the compressor engages)?

IF so, we may for the time being...assume the control side of the unit is working properly.

So...the next logical step is to determine if you have a sufficient refrigerant charge. The 'correct' way to do that is to hook up a set of gauges and take a reading of your high and low side pressures.

As previously mentioned....a host of other issues 'could' be at play...but more often than not...a system that was working in the recent past...is simply low on refrigerant charge (due to a leak).

yeah, if you hardly ever run your AC, the o-rings lose their seal and eventually leak once they've dried out. you might try a product like red angel and a little 134a to get the gas back in the system.

After a week of the red angel, test and add a little more refrigerant. I hear a lot of people are still holding a good charge after a full year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom