99 or 01 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Similar 90k ish mileage. Few $K (I'm guessing $3-5k) difference. What to go with? It will serve some family hauling duty as well as see trails (not hard core play for now, I have another toy for that). I guess with 01 I'm gaining stronger front diff, stability control, traction control and loosing e-locker. How good is TRAC compared to one locker? Any thing else of importance I missed? I guess weaker front end one 99 can be easily rectified with an ARB locker ;) with some money left over for change.

Any $0.02?

I was very impressed with the ATRAC in the FJ Cruiser, don't know if it's similar to the LC's system. For me it would break down into two categories, '99 or '03. I'd go '99 for more of a wheeler and I'd go '03 for more of a dirt road driver. And with the prices coming down, the newer trucks aren't that far out of range price wise.

go with the 2001

someone will hop on here and tell you that there are number of discussions comparing 98/99 and 00 on. They are right. I think the concensus is 00 on is better. Trac is pretty awesome. you can add a locker later. And you will be on road much more than you are off road.

I'd go '99 for more of a wheeler and I'd go '03 for more of a dirt road driver.

Based on what? That's bull.

The front diff alone takes the '99 right out of the "wheeling" equation until you spend $1500 swapping the diff.

Calling the '03 a dirt road driver is just plain lame. I hung for 3-years in the '01 with TRAC-alone against my buddies in triple locked 80's. I never was left behind and never needed assistance. Some trails the 80's struggled more than me. Some trails the locked 60 and 80's got body damage and me none.

ALEX: I'd side on the path of safety. The 2000+ trucks are safer and they've been proved it. You will not regret spending the extra dough for the safety and added upgrades that came in 2001. Enjoy!

Based on what? That's bull.

The front diff alone takes the '99 right out of the "wheeling" equation until you spend $1500 swapping the diff.

Calling the '03 a dirt road driver is just plain lame. I hung for 3-years in the '01 with TRAC-alone against my buddies in triple locked 80's. I never was left behind and never needed assistance. Some trails the 80's struggled more than me. Some trails the locked 60 and 80's got body damage and me none.

I thought you did it for a lot less than $1,500? And I know of plenty of 98 and 99's wheeling with the dreaded 2 pinion diff, just as I will. Not everyone needs lockers to wheel.

And if you missed it in my post I said - FOR ME. As in, my opinion and for my use. I, ME, would use a 99 for wheeling and an 03 for dirt road driving. The 99 has the availability of the rear locker, the 03 has the NAV and 5 spd. To ME, the 00-02 are inbetween years.

Well I guess I was leaning toward 01 already. I've practiced rollover at 70mph already.
I believe big number of deaths in rollovers come from drives who don't buckle. 03 would be quite a few $$$$ more, NAV of prob better quality can be obtained for couple hundred any more. 5 spd would be nice of course.

I always thought it had it. Did some research and your right. Was not on the LX's till it was on the LC's. Looked into the system, who would ever need it? It's like the people complaining that their explorers were rolling over. Duh, it's an SUV. Don't take a corner like a madman and you will be OK.

Hate to admit it, but I'd go '01. Too much good data on VSC to argue with anymore, and I don't think it complicates the electronics much more than the ABS that's already there.

TRAC will also be nice until you can pony up for a set of lockers.

I would go '01 for the safety features, plus it's 2 yrs newer & has the 4 pinion diff. Not all '98-99's have the diff lock, so unless you've found one, it might not be a major factor. Technically, you can retrofit a factory diff lock into the rear by modifying the non-diff lock housing. I've had this done in my '86 4runner (not exactly easy, but it can be done if you want to go OEM electric instead of ARB air). Actually, the overseas 100's got the electric diff lock option all the way to '07, just not the N.A. ones.

Wouldn't the 98-99 axle be direct swap over into 00-02. 03+ has different ratio of 4.1 as I understand although would prob benefit from 4.3 anyway. I'd plan to run larger than stock tires which I would certainly be tempted to do.

It would be close undubtfully though I've seen them for as little as $600-700 for rear axle and $350 for front. Especially for 03 would mean slightly lower ratio and locker. Also ARB could be easily added upfront later since not having to setup pion depth means a lot less thins to mess with (setting up backlash is pretty straight forward).

Another question. Do the earlier 16" wheels fit 03+ LCs? Just in case if I decide to waste more $$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom