97 radio and Antenna ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First let me qualify that I have spent hours searching past posts and to no avail.
Radio is working on left and rear "woofer" channels but no right speakers are working. Stock am/fm/cass./cd with stock amps. Do the amps fail on 1 channel like this?
Interesting note: Dome circuit was blowing fuses. When testing circuit I could hear right speaker clicking on power up. Once I got the circuit to stop blowing fuses, don't know what I did to fix it, the right speaker no longer clicks.
Antenna does not operate. Motor runs when it should and mast is all there. Is there a replaceable part that connects the motor to the mast? I can pull the mast up but it falls right back down when I let go.
Just bought truck and PO had removed his DVD and aftermarket amps and whatever. I cannot afford a new stereo until I get over the puchase of this wonderful vehicle.

In a 97 model the cable that feeds the mast is part of the mast. You will most likely need a replacement mast.
As far as the radio function goes, I can't offer much help other than to suggest that the stripping out of the video system may have something to do with it, especialy if it was tied in to the audio system.

Thread Hijack-Hey Cruiserdan-Lets just say hypothetically you wanted to get rid of the power antenna, is there a Toyota replacement that will fit the 80 and look stock? If not, how pricy is a complete new power antenna mechanism (I have replaced the mast already)?

There is no manual antenna imported into the US for the 80 series. A new antenna assembly, 86300-60080, lists for $261.72 and a smart shopper could find one for around 197 bucks.

I have not tried to substitue the OEM antenna. Some board members may have replaced their antennas and could offer up suggestions. The Tacoma has a sculpted fender and one of those antennas may be able to be modified to fit and look "right".

D-

Radio shack sells those cool plastic jobs ;) :cheers:

So how hard is this here antenna gonna be to remove and is the mast replaceable seperately? Or all new motor etc.?
As my stock front amp blew out its right channel, the one behind the right front dash speaker.
Anyone got one laying about gathering dust? I am willing to buy and pay shipping to Wisconsin.

Its not that hard to pull the dash and the stock cd/radio and check all the wiring there as the P.O. may have screwed something up when he removed the aftermarket stuff and put the factory stuff back in.
Well worth your effort,cause it will be cheaper in the long run to just get an aftermarket cd head unit(which bypasses the stock amp,anyways).
You might find a loose/scuffed/broken wire,which you can repair,if not its probably better to save your money for an aftermarket unit(usually under 200.00)for a decent one.......

check christos site www.sleeoffroad.com for instructions on how to remove the dash panel(unless you already know how).

doug

I noticed that my aftermarket unit with Toyota piggy tail adapter comes loose and I lose my left channel's bass.

This time it gets fixed permanently.

If I may jump in on this thread-
My antenna motor was replaced a year ago. Now the antenna does not go up or down, but the motor is abviously running. It is almost like whatever connects the motor to the antenna has become disconnected, although the dealership says I need another new motor ($300+ dollars). Anybody got any suggestions.
Thanks.

rsm,

What year is your vehicle?

ccoli,

The mast is available as a replacement part, as I have already mentioned in my earlier post. :rolleyes:

rsm,
We've covered the antenna replacement for the various years several times. The 97 mast is different from 93-96. 91-92 are also a little different IIRC.

It's an easy 1 banana repair and many of us have done that as one of the first DIY repairs on "new to us" trucks.

-B-

I have had dash/radio out already. Output from the head unit for right channels is good. No output from seperate amplifier. Connectors are tight. Thats why i'd like to try another amp. Ya Ya I know that a new CD aftermarket is better. Bought the Cruiser this month and it tore the budget up. Was not planning on a new truck this year. Tax time too ya know. PO let it go for cheap and I couldn't say no to such a nice truck.

Could it possibly be a shorted output or a toasted speaker? Did you disconnect the output plug and test? Hookup a 1.5v AA battery to the output wires to see if you get any sound from the speakers as you make contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom