96 LX450 Turns Over Intermittently (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to start my LX and it just clicked. Turned off ignition. Repeated and then clicked again with all lights coming on. Scan gauge showed 12.8 bolts. Turned ignition again and started right up. Ran it for 20-30 minutes. Was showing 13.4 v on scan while running. Turned off and same thing. Hooked up a jumper and no change. Did not start. Then started right up when I took off jumper cable. It either clicks or sounds like it can barely turn over engine. Then starts right up and drives like nothing is wrong. Any ideas? Going to pull battery even though it shows 12.3 on jump start meter. But feel that it is a starter issue.
Thanks in advance
Tom

Sorry. Scan gauge when wouldn’t start showed 11.8 not 12.8.

When was the starter last replaced? And if it has been, was it a denso or some autoparts special?

I'd also pull the battery clamps off, give the battery posts a good scrub with a battery post tool and ditto for both clamps just to ensure you have good electrical contact to the battery. Though if it has issues with jumper cables connected to the B+ and engine hoisting clamp then it's even more likely the starter.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
Anything 12.5V or less is a dead battery. If you fully charge it, then disconnect and let it sit overnight and check voltage in the morning. Should be 12.5 to 12.8V.

Otherwise, it's time for a new battery.

Mine used to do as you describe, would just click but if I turned the key a handful of times it would eventually turn over and fire up. Didn't do it every time, but it got more frequent over time. It was the starter for me. I tried replacing the contacts and plunger (or whatever comes in the little rebuild kit you can get through toyota) and that didn't do it. Finally ended up getting a replacement unit from Autozone.

Ordered a Denso remanufactured starter. Bought new battery. The old one was 3.5 years old. Figured I’d do both of these now. Florida heat kills batteries any ways. Going to replace starter myself this weekend.
Thanks
Tom

Please see battery state of charge chart.

1650556842644.jpg

Got a rebuilt in USA Denso starter for around $169. All good now. Had a bear of a time breaking loose the two bolts between not having a lot of room to get leverage. Ended up using a cheater bar that allowed me to crack each bolt loose. Rest was a breeze. Did battery while there.
Tom

Got a rebuilt in USA Denso starter for around $169. All good now. Had a bear of a time breaking loose the two bolts between not having a lot of room to get leverage. Ended up using a cheater bar that allowed me to crack each bolt loose. Rest was a breeze. Did battery while there.
Tom
Where did you order it from? Local places im looking at it is running closer to $250.

If the alternator doesn't do the trick, I think you need a Toyota ignition switch (part # 8445060180).

I was having same issue as you. Changed alternators, thought it was a loose ground, etc. As soon as I replaced the ignition switch, no issues.

I also recommend getting a Toyota one. I bought aftermarket and have to be careful when taking the key out because it allows me to remove the key while in auxiliary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom