$936 in labor to install Brake Booster Assembly w/ Master Cylinder?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find the LC is WAY too expensive to maintain. So may things to keep an eye for, perhaps, we expect LC's (20+ years old vehicle) to be perfect over any other car and throw parts just to make it perfect. I have replaced more parts in the my 2000 LC in pat 5 years compared to parts together in my 92 corolla and 97 4R. I cannot believe I had to replace the fan blade in the LC because it snapped and destroyed the radiator: I have NEVEr seen such a case in any of my other toyotas.

Owning an old luxury vehicle and expect it to run without repairs is unimaginable. When I bought mine, I knew the time and money (I do all repairs except the recent trans rebuild) has to be thrown at it. The brakes in LC are not just simple hydraulics. It got those crazy sensors and electronics. The LC 70 series is so simple we don't get it to the USA.

The 100 series (many non-diesel non-105 just like the ones in the US) are also very popular in many parts of the world, including some regions with terrible road condition and lack of high quality parts or even adequate gas/oil/fluids. But seems local people cope with that fine and keep them on the road for millions of miles 😅

Last edited:
Its just a shame that we have allowed car makers (by rewarding them with our dollars) to design and build such overly complicted and expensive systems.

Brake boosting and hydraulic brakes are 100 year old tech.....why did they over complicate it? Why did they add an expensive failure point on a 'rugged' land cruiser. Lame.
I think that just confirms that we all (as a generalization) like nicer and more capable things?

Brake boosting (with vacuum) was started in 1950. Hydraulic boosting came later. ABS in 78 (Mercedes). But that plain jane booster won't run ABS and traction control (including the awesome ATRAC system that's a huge benefit out on the trail). I'd much rather deal with a once-per-lifetime replacement booster than lose the ATRAC and ABS.

If simple is the goal I think you just need to go further back in time. IE the 80 series, 60 series. Those are great platforms that are old and much simpler. They're much less capable and practical in a functional stock form, but if you want a simple cruiser option, it's out there and they're pretty cool in their own way.

The 100 series (many non-diesel non-105 just like the ones in the US) are also very popular in many parts of the world, including some regions with terrible road condition and lack of high quality parts or even adequate gas/oil/fluids. But seems local people cope with that fine and keep them on the road for millions of miles 😅

We living in the US with all the technology and money are struggling with this high tech devices. There is no way other countries that lacks infrastructure to maintain these high tech vehicles cope with them. This is why NGO'S (UN, UNHCR, UNICEF, RED CROSS) Toyota distribution center in Gibraltar in Spain only deals with toyota's with less tech such 70 series and hiluxes. They also go with Manual transmissions over automatics. Counters in South America, Africa, Asia are still prefer older LC's than these newer trucks. I can see they can convert an ABS brakes into ordinary brake systems and run (which I too love to do), but we cannot do it here with CEL at inspections.

Brake boosting and hydraulic brakes are 100 year old tech.....why did they over complicate it? Why did they add an expensive failure point on a 'rugged' land cruiser. Lame.
x 2 The electro-hydraulic braking system performs much better than standard vacuum assisted brakes. Both system perform about the same when it comes to gentle stops, dry conditions, in a straight line with constant load.. The electro-hydraulic system shows it's advantages when beyond that. I can see newer LC's getting more complex brakes... especially if they adopt the same hybrid system as the Tundra. It'll have regenerative braking.

I’d like to see the list of parts put into a rebuild and near term life span of said rebuilt master cylinder. Beyond the motor, wasn’t aware of much else that could be rebuilt
Pretty sure you can fix leaky actuators as well, if you know what you're doing. Andy Le does them - I dont think hes active here, but hes on the 100 series FB group.

OP - its not a hard job to swap the assembly - unfortunately I've done it more times than I would like to admit. Just be careful when you're reinstalling the brake line flare nut, as you can cross thread them. Ask me how I know.

Guys please remember you are driving a Landcruiser, it is a $80k vehicle when it comes to parts replacement and repair, not a Corolla or Camry. Parts doesn't get cheaper as the truck age. As for the brake booster going bad, I think it is not too bad, replace every 150-200k miles/ 15 years? Pretty much replace once in the lifetime of the truck for 95% of the owner.

I think that just confirms that we all (as a generalization) like nicer and more capable things?

Brake boosting (with vacuum) was started in 1950. Hydraulic boosting came later. ABS in 78 (Mercedes). But that plain jane booster won't run ABS and traction control (including the awesome ATRAC system that's a huge benefit out on the trail). I'd much rather deal with a once-per-lifetime replacement booster than lose the ATRAC and ABS.

If simple is the goal I think you just need to go further back in time. IE the 80 series, 60 series. Those are great platforms that are old and much simpler. They're much less capable and practical in a functional stock form, but if you want a simple cruiser option, it's out there and they're pretty cool in their own way.
A $1000 overly complex, vehicle specific, unique and soon-to-be unobtamiuim brake brain electro-hydraulic-vacuum system is not 'nicer'. I see it as a negative, a deterrent.

A vacuum brake booster and dual circuit master cylinder with a separate, but bypass able, ABS pump is jjjuuuussssttttt fine. Wheel speed sensors (but by-passable) help. Paying attention while driving, good brake pads, and proper tires are crucial as well.

All common, used on multiple vehicles, cheap parts, fixable on the side of the road, by passable systems all can do the job just as well.

I want to travel far off the beaten path?...I get a rear locker.

We living in the US with all the technology and money are struggling with this high tech devices. There is no way other countries that lacks infrastructure to maintain these high tech vehicles cope with them. This is why NGO'S (UN, UNHCR, UNICEF, RED CROSS) Toyota distribution center in Gibraltar in Spain only deals with toyota's with less tech such 70 series and hiluxes. They also go with Manual transmissions over automatics. Counters in South America, Africa, Asia are still prefer older LC's than these newer trucks. I can see they can convert an ABS brakes into ordinary brake systems and run (which I too love to do), but we cannot do it here with CEL at inspections.
Can we file a petition to Toyota to bring a Hybrid version of 70 series to the US :zilla:

Can we file a petition to Toyota to bring a Hybrid version of 70 series to the US :zilla:
Not going to happen as far as I know those 70 series got only front air bags and is not the standard for newer vehicles in the USA.

I actually know somebody with a 70 series but fitted with a 100 series brake booster. He's super happy because of the added performance. I'll have to dig for the pictures.

I checked the 200 series and it seems all markets have an electric booster. It is a generation after the 100 series and I haven't heard a lot of complaints. AFAIK, the 100 series is the last LC with the option of standard vacuum assisted brakes. So, if vacuum assisted brakes is the final stop for you... better keep your 100 in the best condition as possible.

I find the LC is WAY too expensive to maintain. So may things to keep an eye for, perhaps, we expect LC's (20+ years old vehicle) to be perfect over any other car and throw parts just to make it perfect. I have replaced more parts in the my 2000 LC in pat 5 years compared to parts together in my 92 corolla and 97 4R. I cannot believe I had to replace the fan blade in the LC because it snapped and destroyed the radiator: I have NEVEr seen such a case in any of my other toyotas.

Owning an old luxury vehicle and expect it to run without repairs is unimaginable. When I bought mine, I knew the time and money (I do all repairs except the recent trans rebuild) has to be thrown at it. The brakes in LC are not just simple hydraulics. It got those crazy sensors and electronics. The LC 70 series is so simple we don't get it to the USA.

My 100 series is the first car that I have been actively maintaining and doing preventive maintenance on. Now I understand all cars will have maintenance, but with the 100 series I've had to worry so far about the fuse relay, ignition barrel rod, brake booster, wheel bearings, heater Ts, CVs ( and the different sizes of snap rings). Gladly I have not had to do the timing belt or the related replacements just yet. I feel like there are so many failure points, and things to keep an eye on. Do you feel the 100 series is less reliable than other Toyotas of the same era?

Last edited:
All 20 year old vehicles require (constant) maintenance.

The 100 series is no more or less reliable than other Toyotas of the same generation. However, that is the problem....they are not MORE reliable, as they should be. Unfortunately the 'brains' at Toyota did add quite a few failure/pain/struggle points in the 100 series LC that are unnecessary. Using more common parts, dumbing it down a bit would have been great, you know, as a world renowned rugged last forever Land Cruiser should be,

My 100 series is the first car that I have been actively maintaining and doing preventive maintenance on. Now I understand all cars will have maintenance, but with the 100 series I've had to worry so far about the fuse relay, ignition barrel rod, brake booster, wheel bearings, heater Ts, CVs ( and the different sizes of snap rings). Gladly I have not had to do the timing belt or the related replacements just yet. I feel like there are so many failure points, and things to keep an eye on. Do you feel the 100 series is less reliable than other Toyotas of the same era?
The failure points in a LC are
Heater T's
Radiators (20+ year old): Good construction so it lasts 20 years and we forget it!
Ignition rod failure is due to people having their wheels locked and turning the key forcefully to unlock" THE PROPER way is to release the lock is by turning the wheel in the opposite direction to release the force on the locking mechanism and then turn the ignition key! In my 30+ year experience with toyota vehicles, I never broke a single one or my friend in Australia have never heard of these issues.
Front wheel bearings lasts a life time if greased and maintained. Rear needs replacement, but I am at 250K miles and still it's original! Never heard of a vehicle other than Toyota with such a good quality of bearings (my car-corolla is at 288K miles and all 4 bearings on wheels are still factory and no play or sound)
ABS brakes are an issue. Yes, it fails. Best is to stick to older method.
2000 LC's have a faulty transmissions ( I experienced that and was costly!)

Is it worth pre-emptively having the brake booster rebuilt? I just got a 98 LX470 with 200,000 miles and after reading threads on here I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb! I have no idea of the PO had it done, but he replaced the AHC with monroe shock so I'm guessing quality parts wasn't a concern for him :)

How much warning do these give before they die?

Is it worth pre-emptively having the brake booster rebuilt? I just got a 98 LX470 with 200,000 miles and after reading threads on here I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb! I have no idea of the PO had it done, but he replaced the AHC with monroe shock so I'm guessing quality parts wasn't a concern for him :)

Yes if this is an expedition rig or if you drive long distance.

To do it right, buy a brand new OEm unit. It's about $1200.

No- you’ll get plenty of warning that the booster is failing with long priming cycles and then the screeching motor noise. And while braking will become manual and require more pedal effort, you won’t loose braking all together. You would be able to make it home.

This is a good reminder for everyone, make sure your eBrake is operational, a lot of north east guys have theirs seized and it doesn't apply brake to the truck should your main one fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom