'93 vs '97 Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 and I just found a really clean '93 I purchased. The parts numbers for the engine wiring harness are different. What is different between these model years in regards to the motor? I know the 93 doesn't have airbags etc. I assumed the motors were the same but it doesn't look that way.

The '93-'94 have VAF vs MAF, and the PAIR system, which is in the harness. They also don't have a crank position sensor or two-piece oil pans (the latter being a bonus). The lower ends are otherwise the same.

A comparison of the EWD will list all the details. If you have both engines, you need both EWDs.

The engine itself can be used in either as long as the bits for the final vehicle are reused (crank sensor, MAF/VAF, PAIR system)

The head and the block are the same 93-97. The "accessories" change.

The engine itself can be used in either as long as the bits for the final vehicle are reused (crank sensor, MAF/VAF, PAIR system)

The head and the block are the same 93-97. The "accessories" change.

None of the accessories change: accessories are PS pump, starter, alternator, vacuum pump, injection pump, etc., those are considered accessories in the automotive world.

What changes are sensing and control/logic systems.

They also don't have a crank position sensor or two-piece oil pans (the latter being a bonus). The lower ends are otherwise the same.

All 1FZs have upper and lower oil pans. The 93-94 upper pan does not have the crank position sensor provision.

None of the accessories change: accessories are PS pump, starter, alternator, vacuum pump, injection pump, etc., those are considered accessories in the automotive world.

What changes are sensing and control/logic systems.
Thanks for the more detailed info. I was being very general in my description due to laziness, calling everything that bolts on as an "accessory".

Knowing full well that the 95+ use a crank sensor and have a different oil pan and need to swap the spacer for the crank sensor if going old to new. If new to old, then you can leave it and not use it. (Do you have to remove the timing cover to do this?)

The timing cover would not need to be removed in a retro-fit of a 95-97 long block into a 93-94. If putting a 93-94 long block into a 95-97 the head and timing cover need to come off to add the crankshaft trigger ring and the narrower timing chain crank sprocket.

If I were to build a long block for some future use I would fit the trigger ring and narrow crank sprocket. That way the motor can go in any year.

EDIT: The crank chain sprocket does not change, the oil pump drive gear changes to clear the added trigger ring.

Last edited:
if you are swapping the oil pan and sensors its not that simple. you need to change the oil pump drive gear also as the depth is different. i have done it plenty of times over the years. if you have questions send me a PM and i can walk you through all the changes and what you need to move around. if putting a 95+ engine in an older one its not so bad. if putting a 93/4 engine in a 95+ thats when things get tricky.

Last edited:
<snip> you need to change the oil pump drive gear also as the depth is different. <snip>

Yup, I forgot about that. It's not the crank timing chain sprocket.

if you are swapping the oil pan and sensors its not that simple. you need to change the oil pump drive gear also as the depth is different. i have done it plenty of times over the years. if you have questions send me a PM and i can walk you through all the changes and what you need to move around. if putting a 95+ engine in an older one its not so bad. if putting a 93/4 engine in a 95+ thats when things get tricky.
I may have a chance to get a 93, and have a 97 1FZ. Could you please forward the info about the changes as mentioned in this post? Thanks

I may have a chance to get a 93, and have a 97 1FZ. Could you please forward the info about the changes as mentioned in this post? Thanks
ask yourself if you are prepared to change the head gasket because if not then stop now. you need to remove the timing cover to do the swap and there is a chance you will mess up the head gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom