'93 SR5 noob hello (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello from a noob to the off road world and toyota trucks. I've wrenched on muscle cars but have not had a project in a few years. This is not my DD. I bought this '93 a few months ago after looking for an early 90's v6 5MT and finally found it in LA. I don't have a lot of time to spend on projects right now, but I'm probably going to spend about a year getting the truck to a good baseline, i.e. fixing all the s*** the PO messed up or did not tell me about. I'm repairing sections of the dash right now and trying to get the stereo working. The truck is bone stock mechanically. My main concern/problem is an intermittent noises coming from the front end. I call it the screech/bang combo and that's what it sounds like. It doesnt make the sound every time out, but within 3-4 outings I get the sound. It is a scratchy screeching that starts and ends suddenly and last for 3-5 seconds. This sounds like it comes from the left side front end or engine bay. Often, but not always, the screeching is followed by a loud bang that seems to come from the right side of the engine bay or front end. The bang sounds like you just hit a pot hole driving about 20 mph. The noise happens under light throttle or while coasting and seems to be limited to speeds less than 50 mph. Happens with or without the AC on. Has not happened while in 4WD, but I have not used 4 WD that much. Happens under straight and level driving, not related to braking or turning or bumps.The speedometer works intermittently.

I've had the truck in my local shop and left it there for them to drive for a week. They could not produce the noise and could not find any obvioius issues with motor mounts, u joints, hubs, etc.

I'm planning to buy a cheap camera with audio that i can mount under the truck to record the sound and hopefully this would help identify what is going on. I've been reading forums for months trying to figure this out. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks-Dave
IMG_1674.JPG
;);)

IMG_1674.JPG

I'm willing to bet the noise is an idler bearing. I don't know the 3.slow much at all, but I do know the AC has an idler pulley. If it's a cast pulley, you can press out the old bearing and replace it. If it's a stamped steel pulley, you need to replace the whole pulley. That is my official word. I know people that have managed to press out the bearing on a stamped pulley.

The bang could be engine mount.

Welcome to our slice of MUD :flipoff2: <- official welcome.

I'm willing to bet the noise is an idler bearing. I don't know the 3.slow much at all, but I do know the AC has an idler pulley. If it's a cast pulley, you can press out the old bearing and replace it. If it's a stamped steel pulley, you need to replace the whole pulley. That is my official word. I know people that have managed to press out the bearing on a stamped pulley.

The bang could be engine mount.

Welcome to our slice of MUD :flipoff2: <- official welcome.
Thanks Pappy,

How could these two things be related? i.e. usually the screech is followed by the bang.

Would a bad hub cause a loud bang once it releases from a bind up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom