93 fzj80 going dead - HELP!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK. Yesterday I changed the oil and air filter and also did some cleaning underneath and on the engine. Used SuperClean for degreaser and hose to wash off and was careful. I did unplug the center wire on the distributor cap to get at the oil filter easier.

After all was done it would hardly idle finally cleared up but going dead instantly when put in reverse also goes dead if you are coming to a stop when in Drive. Freakiest of all is it will go dead when turning left more than if going straight or turning right - left kills it for sure along with reverse. Just won't hardly run in reverse must keep foot on brake and gas to make it move.

Idles better with air con on than with it off.

Good news is the oil leak seemed to stop when switched to 0W-40 as suggested here - Thanks!

You got water somewhere it doesn't need to be. Give it a day or 2 to dry out.

Look at all of your rubber hoses especially the air cleaner to TB for cracks and what nots; is your PVC connected?

ultimauk said:
Look at all of your rubber hoses especially the air cleaner to TB for cracks and what nots; is your PVC connected?

I agree with Ultimauk. When you replace the air filter you have to be careful with the removal of the hose between the canister and the intake. This hose had been the source of numerous problems identical to yours; frequently following an AF replacement or inspection.

The proper way to change the AF is to loosen the hose clamp on the canister side of the hose, then gently remove the lid of the air canister, replace the filter, and reinstall.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom