92 fj80 shift lock solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not able to shift into reverse/N/Drive when sitting in Park unless i use the override switch. I do have the shop manual, and i checked for signals at the various wires on the shift lock ECU. I get a 12v signal when the brake is pressed from the wire designated for that. I get 12V for acc as well as ignition. The keylock solenoid seems to function as intended, can't remove key except when in Park with acc off.

The shift ECU box had some crusty black stuff on the electrical board when i disassembled it, so i am somewhat blaming that (discontinued) box 85933-60010. Intermittently the shift lock solenoid will get 12v and click back and for, like it's "trippin out" but not consistently. The signal off the shift ECU seems to be 1 or 2v when it's not working, and bumps up to 12v when it is. IS this the way that unit normally fails?

Has anyone rewired 85933-60050 that is more readily available with their existing plug to use it instead of the existing unit? Bad idea? I only have the diagram for 1992 model, any way someone could compare theirs to mine?

Attached is the plug i'm most interested in, since i saw another guy a year or 10 back who said it would not fit.

IMG_1555.jpg

My truck is currently doing the same thing so I'll be watching to see what your fix is.

Oh, and as a follow up....if anyone has an 85933-60050 would it be possible for you to open it up and take a photo of the board? that would really help me track down if i can make it work or not....in addition to maybe comparing your service manual from a 93+ 80 series to mine and making sure all the electrical stuff "matches".

I bought a 100 series shift lock ECU, going to wire that up to use it and see what happens. I got the wiring diagram from both, and it looks like they do the exact same thing...so we shall see.

Could you post some close up pics of your damaged board, both sides if possible?

Partial voltage is an unusual failure mode but maybe we can spot some bad components that could just be replaced.

Here's the board, just for fun. I went ahead and replaced it with one out of a 2000 LC using my little home made cord.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

So, as for results, it appears that this one works identically to the original. Power goes to the shiftlock solenoid under the same scenarios according to the 2000 manual i checked, as well as the Key-Lock Solenoid. The true test is obviously over time if it continues to work. The 2000 model manual says "20-28 ohms" and my 91 manual says "21-27 ohms"...that's the only difference i can see.

IMG_1582.jpg

Hi, Have you tested those capacitors? Looks like one or more are going bad. Mike

Hi, Have you tested those capacitors? Looks like one or more are going bad. Mike
I ended up just buying a different one that had the same inputs and what not off ebay for 30 bucks and it seems to be working very well.

IMG_1589.jpg

Last edited:
This ended up being my issue too. After replacing brake lights and checking grounds/trailer harness it still wasn't shifting out of park. Got a used one off here from a part out and all is good now.

I had the same issue and checked lights, fuses, parasitic drain, plugs and shift lock solenoid and found nothing

In the end I pulled out the shift lock ECU from under the centre console and found the problem. The circuit board had “corroded”….
Put out the multimeter and checked all the copper tracer lines and found that 2 lines were not connected any more, so I just soldered in 2 wires to complete circuit again and now it work perfectly

IMG_5069.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg

I've been looking and see many different part numbers, all starting with 85933 and ending in... 60050 (mine), 60010 (above, @Mikel 80 ), Camry is 60030, etc... has anyone tried a Camry shift lock ecu? It looks identical including the wiring harnesses.

EDIT: Looks like it should work!

ShiftLockCamry.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom