91 4Runner questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, yes, I did search so :flipoff2:

Hi all. I'm usually over in the 80's corner so I'm a little green on the 4Runners.

My wife has been wanting to get something she can drive on the easy to moderate trails instead of always riding shotgun in my 80. So today on the way home from work I see a 91 4Runner SR5 for $1000. Body is more or less straight, no rust, paint isnt peeling, good glass. Interior needs a lot of cleaning and seats redone, but is otherwise decent for its age. 203K on the clock, no leaks other than all of the drain plugs and PS line. Here's my concern: I've heard nightmares of the 3.slow V-6 (headgaskets, poor performance, etc...)I've even helped some friends wrench on their 3.0's and cursed myself for offering to help. There is no room at all in that engine bay to do anything! What is the typical lifespan of these engines?

Assuming nothing is majorly wrong, is this worth getting as a mild trail rig? Speed isn't neccessarily an issue since it will rarely get DD status. Don't plan to run tires larger than 33's.

$1000 for a running 2nd Gen 4Runner is a decent price, yes the 3.0 is a pain to work on, yes it's prone to head gasket issues, yes it's a dog, yes the mileage isn't great.... Yes it's a Toyota, and it'll go a long way if you take care of it! And if it's not going to be a DD, then it sounds like a good deal, 33's will go on without much trouble, or search here for threads started by Knixen..... :D

I can work with a motor that needs a hg replaced, afterall, my 80 has a 1FZ-FE! But I want to fix it and forget it. Is the hg issue from using bad material, or a defect in the engine design?

I just came out of a lifted and locked 80 to a lifted and locked 4runner. I am also running 33's and it is a daily driver for now. It is "liveable" in the power dept but I also have 5.29 gears. I have 235k miles and don't doubt to take it on any road trips. I do also like the fact that it is a lot more manuverable than the 80. I think for that price you can't go wrong. Just my 2 cents:cheers:

I can work with a motor that needs a hg replaced, afterall, my 80 has a 1FZ-FE! But I want to fix it and forget it. Is the hg issue from using bad material, or a defect in the engine design?

As I understad it it is a defect in the gasket. In 1990 The US banned HG's containing asbestos. And the 3.0 was desiged with just such a HG. So Toyota had to rush a HG to market that wasnt designed for the motor, and the rest is history. it also explains why the pre 1990 3.0's dont have the same level of HG failures. My 88 3.0 has 200,000 on the original HG and it scoots (5 spd). But at the same time I had a 90 and 92 with 150k+ and never had a problem.

I say buy it. Roll the dice for 1000$ you cant go wrong. and a 3.4L bolts in if you get sick of the 3.0.

I have a 1991 4Runner at 215k and no problems. I run 33in tires on 4.56 diffs. No speed demon, but when I went to and front New Mexico over the summer I got 20.56 mpg there and 21.06 mpg on the way back. My hg was replaced, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere.

If the headgasket was replaced by Toyota under the recall, it probably won't cause any more trouble. The replacement ones were redesigned to correct the problem. If you have the VIN, your Toyota dealer should be able to verify if it was done.

Does it have the ADD system for 4WD? My SR5 did. Never had any problems with mine, but it can be a pain to troubleshoot if it acts up.

If it has the tire carrier on the back, it likely had what Toyota called the power (or lack thereof) package. Those had 31" tires and lower diff gears (4.56 or 4.88).

I could be wrong, but i always thought that package started in 92.

31's, taller suspension, 4.88 gears, automatic, 3.0, sport seats....

Here's what I do know:
SR5
ADD sticker on the front diff, drive plates on hubs
It's an auto
Trashed bucket seats
HAD the tire carrier
31's (I'll look at the placard and see if they were the stock size)

I've heard of several 3.0 to 3.4 swaps, but don't they need to have a 5-speed behind them?
DSCF8690.jpg
DSCF8672.jpg
DSCF8685.jpg

Last edited:
Another view

DSCF8674.jpg

I've heard of several 3.0 to 3.4 swaps, but don't they need to have a 5-speed behind them?

Not at all. I have done 3 3.4 swaps and they were all with autos (two a340f's and even one a340h)

I've got a 1991 SR5 V6 with 5 speed manual that I drive daily.
It's no speed demon, but I do daily drive it to and from work. I rebuilt the 3.0 and the machine shop corrected most of the issues the 3.0 has. Its got the 4.56 gears in the diffs. And I put locking hubs on the front end.

It's been a pretty good truck. Its had a few nickel and dime issues but after the rebuild of the motor and the couple of nickel and dime stuff it's been a good truck. I don't hesistate to drive it to and from work or take it out to my trips to the desert.

That said, to do it all over again, I should have put the 3.4 in instead of rebuilding the 3.0. But I have a 3.0 that should go 500,000 miles.

My FJ40 is my rock crawler truck. So this truck won't see alot of trail time other than dirt roads and camping in the desert.

The 3.0 is just fine.
Some consider it underpowered but this truck will get up to speed on the freeway, and I can get it up to 75-80mph without problems.

If you are considering this truck, get the VIN and call the dealership to see if the headgasket recall has been done (or any recalls for that matter).

Last edited:
Ran the VIN this morning. HG was done in '97. Still open for the relay rod. Sounds like it might be a decent deal. Thanks guys for the advice:beer:

Ran the VIN this morning. HG was done in '97. Still open for the relay rod. Sounds like it might be a decent deal. Thanks guys for the advice:beer:

new HG was done 11 years ago with no problems?? Its fine!

I will chuckle if it blows the HG next week though.

run it till it's warm, and see if it starts missing or hesitation when you punch it.

if it does, it prob has the fuze block gremlin, and that is why they are dumping it.

replace the batt to fuse block wire, and alt to batt wires, and should silence the gremlins.

also think about adding the MSD 7mm plug wires. only tune up trick that ever helped my mileage and HP.
they don't fit the stock harnesses tho...

I have a 1991 4Runner at 215k and no problems. I run 33in tires on 4.56 diffs. No speed demon, but when I went to and front New Mexico over the summer I got 20.56 mpg there and 21.06 mpg on the way back. My hg was replaced, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere.

Speedo corrected?

I've got a 1991 SR5 V6 with 5 speed manual ...

Its got the 4.56 gears in the diffs. And I put locking hubs on the front end.

Is that factory?

Or did you put them in from something else?

Speedo corrected

Is that factory?

Or did you put them in from something else?

The 4.56 gears were factory for the SR5 package with the 31" tire option.
the manual locking hubs came from an 88 4runner that was in the junk yard. But the 91 stock has an ADD and drive flanges in the front. I figured the manual locking hubs would reduce wear on the cv joints and net me better gas mileage.

Not at all. I have done 3 3.4 swaps and they were all with autos (two a340f's and even one a340h)

Doesn't the auto tranny throw a code in the 3.4 swap? Last I heard no one's been able to figure out a fix for that.

I have 213k on my '90 4Runner. The headgaskets were replaced by the previous owner at 134k.

They are a bit slow, but not as bad as folks claim. I can do 75mph on the interstate, as long as there aren't any hills, and I'm running a poor gear ratio.

1000 bucks doesn't seem like a bad deal. :D

I'd jump at it, if it was a manual. I hate autos. It that doesn't bother you, do it. Mine has 196k+ and it scoots along just fine. I often load it down, hook up a heavy trailerload of crap and take the wife and kids on 1000+ mile road trips. With my new tires, I'm averaging about 14-16 mpg empty. The engine sucks to work on, but except for one weird problem I had with the fuel rail a couple years ago, I haven't had to do anything to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom