90 Series Prado, where the heck do I get parts lads! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 2000 Land Cruiser Prado J90 - VZJ95W and I want to get brake pads and rotors, thing is, I can't find a good enough spot to get parts at the best price. USDM doesn't have this model but the UK and AU do, wondering where I can find the best parts, decent price and are able to ship to the GREAT WHITE NORTH. Thoughts anyone?

Picked up a 2000 Land Cruiser Prado J90 - VZJ95W and I want to get brake pads and rotors, thing is, I can't find a good enough spot to get parts at the best price. USDM doesn't have this model but the UK and AU do, wondering where I can find the best parts, decent price and are able to ship to the GREAT WHITE NORTH. Thoughts anyone?

I'll re-post this reply I gave on my thread , but people will stumble along this post with your question before mine.

===========

Here is the top level 90 series parts repository Toyota EPC

The rear Rotor, Caliper, and pads are here. Caliper/Pads and Rotor

Click on the part you want - it will bring up the Toyota XXXXX-YYYYY Toyota part number.

Plug that number into rock auto, Napa, your local Toyota dealer, or one of the online dealers for Toyota parts and you should be set.

==========

Also look at JDM Journeys thread - A fellow posted a link to the entire service manual.

In short, it is a Gen3 4runner with 80 series back brakes ...

I'll re-post this reply I gave on my thread , but people will stumble along this post with your question before mine.

===========

Here is the top level 90 series parts repository Toyota EPC

The rear Rotor, Caliper, and pads are here. Caliper/Pads and Rotor

Click on the part you want - it will bring up the Toyota XXXXX-YYYYY Toyota part number.

Plug that number into rock auto, Napa, your local Toyota dealer, or one of the online dealers for Toyota parts and you should be set.

==========

Also look at JDM Journeys thread - A fellow posted a link to the entire service manual.

Do you think a Gen3 4Runner steering rack would fit the Prado? I’m having leaking issues and I would want to replace the entire rack. Could I buy one and basically flip it around? Any thoughts

Do you think a Gen3 4Runner steering rack would fit the Prado? I’m having leaking issues and I would want to replace the entire rack. Could I buy one and basically flip it around? Any thoughts

That is a dilemma I have reviewed - It looks like a rebuild is the only option as the numbers do not match and it does not look like the same rack flipped.. But if you have a sub-200,000km Prado that would be way down the list of likely failures.

There do seem to be available in Junkyards in BC though - You can get them from Japan or Dubai - But you are going to pay for that...

I bet you would be better to pull it and be rebuilt as I bet many of the rebuild parts are interchangeable.

Interesting though

You can get an RHD rack off of Alibaba for $100 US - google Toyota PN 44250-60010

You could use that in the interim while you get yours rebuilt. I would guess shipping will be $100 US or greater shipping though.

e.g. buy Chinese part - Wait for it to arrive - Swap out part and sent Toyo original for rebuild, and then swap out the Chinese again when the rebuild comes back...

So you're saying I could buy an 80 series back brake/rotor kit and it would fit the Prado?

Check the links I gave above - The numbers line up and it looks like it should work but I have not done it yet.

My Prado arrived from Japan with over 80% meat on the pads so I do not need to swap it yet.

I think they are the same - Funny you mention - I will be greasing them tomorrow.

Then front diff oil change then transfer case - Did the rear diff last Thursday - Mastercraft Synth 75W 90

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Bill, this Rockauto.com is going to change lives.

IMG_4569.jpg

Rock Auto first saved my Bacon in 2011 when an air shock failed on my 2005 Expedition - $1100 for one, after a real hard search of Canadian suppliers - While one failed I needed to replace 4 to "Fix" the issue for good.

Enter Rock Auto and I got the regular (Non Eddie Bauer) Expedition springs for $700 cdn for all 4 all in and was good for another 5 years before I sold it.

They gave a good Supply of reasonably priced for my Pajero for 6 yrs as well.

Just beware siren call of cheap parts for a lot of the running gear - A quick search of the forums tell that Lower Ball joints, Radiator (Strawberry shake) and Waterpump/timing belt and other running gear issues are typically addressed with real Toyota parts.

Just beware siren call of cheap parts for a lot of the running gear - A quick search of the forums tell that Lower Ball joints, Radiator (Strawberry shake) and Waterpump/timing belt and other running gear issues are typically addressed with real Toyota parts.

You wouldn't suggest a aftermarket Moog lower ball joint on the Prado? Timing belt for the 3.4L should stay OEM?

Exactly - The Moog looked appealing to me but the overwhelming consensus when I searched here, and other forums, is that all the non OEM will wear out far to fast over the OEM.

I have a pair coming from Toyotapartsdirece.ca They were $175 each. Delayed by the Zombie Appocolypse apparently.

You will see Rock does have the OEM rad and OEM belt kit for really reasonable prices (The Asin belt / water pump / Toyota idler tensioner piston and idler pullies) is only $274 CDN plus shipping - Same for the Denso original Rad at only $149

So OEM does not mean explicitly from the dealer

So in doing some deep diving with the current information; rear brake rotors became an issue, in looking for parts locally I found the specs for the rotors OEM:

Outer Diameter: 312mm or 12.28inches
Center Diameter: 106.1mm
Brake Disk Thickness: 68.1mm
Bolt Pattern: 6x139.7
OEM PART # (1999-2002) 42431-60201

For simplicity sake for the front

Outer Diameter: 318.5mm
Center Diameter: 108mm
Brake Disk Thickness: 20.5mm
Bolt Pattern: 6x139.7
OEM PART # (1999-2002) 43512-35210

@billblyca ; Lets say I'm looking for new shocks and springs for a unit like this, maybe I would want to give it a bit of lift so I could put bigger tires on; what are your thoughts on that?

That's outside of my specialty - Mine I am leaving stock and hoping it runs up to 500,000 km for the next 15 yrs - Plans are up to Tuk on the artic highway, out to Labrador, Up to La Grande in Que, maybe even to go as far as my nerves will take me up to Churchill :)

Last edited:
That is a super plan, if you end up in Manitoba let me know we can meet up! I will probably end up doing some modifications to mine. I would like to redo all the bushings and bearings, timing belt kit (water pump included), all the belts and probably new struts, shocks and springs (mine are getting worn).

Just an update for you, I changed the front brakes and rotors on the front, they are indeed the same as 3rd Gen 4Runners. I changed the rear brakes and rotors with Brembo pads and rotors these popped up on RockAuto when I put in the OEM part number (43512-35210)
I changed all the spark plugs with NGK Platinum's (dual tipped to match OEM), NGK spark plug wires (the blue color is nice) and NGK ignition coils. Now there was nothing wrong with the OEM stuff other then natural wear on the plugs. I will be keeping all those OEM parts because they are still in working order, and for the sake of consistency I would changed out all NGK.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but can anyone point me where I can find some prado 95 series rear brake dust shield. Been looking for what feels like forever to no avail. I found some via part #s but $500 each seems steep. Thanks again

Matt

Sorry to revive a dead thread but can anyone point me where I can find some prado 95 series rear brake dust shield. Been looking for what feels like forever to no avail. I found some via part #s but $500 each seems steep. Thanks again

Matt
I do not know any of them by name, but there is a collection of JDM/RHD auto wreckers in the Vancouver BC and Victoria BC area - they may have some

Thank you for responding I will definitely be looking into that. It's crazy that it's so hard to find parts online for vehicles that 60% of the world have just not us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom