Help with reverse light switch fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.

Looking to replace the reverse light switch on a 1970 FJ40 with column shift. What I pulled out is pictured below....not factory and I can't seem to find a replacement. If anyone can help identify this switch or suggest a way forward I would appreciate it. Threads look a bit bigger than factory.

image1[53].jpg

image0[56].jpg

The upper tight may work. Use a relay.
Lower right? Add a spring.

The real switch I bought for my floor shift '70 was very poor. The distance between the end of travel and completing the circuit was only a couple of thousands. I ended up using a gasket material washer and machining the switch. The adjustment for correct function was to critical to be practical. I expect it to fail. When it fails I will make something that has reasonable travel distance so it functions and will last.

I'd try to fix the old one you have first.

That one looks like oem but modified. The oem switch is still available through Toyota.

Maybe I am mistaken. I got a new oem the screws in the shifter base from Toyota. I just assumed it was the same.

How are the wires connected to the poles on the switch? I found the problem with my backup lights, the rubber boot and wires are disconnected from the switch. Looking at the switch I see two clean poles. It's not clear to me how these wires could have been attached unless I am missing a part.

Is it possible to remove the switch without removing the transmission cover cowling inside the cab?

How are the wires connected to the poles on the switch? I found the problem with my backup lights, the rubber boot and wires are disconnected from the switch. Looking at the switch I see two clean poles. It's not clear to me how these wires could have been attached unless I am missing a part.

Is it possible to remove the switch without removing the transmission cover cowling inside the cab?
If I remember correctly, they were soldered into solder buckets originally on mine.
Use a small gas torch and plenty of flux to resolder them.

Its possible to remove but you need the right spanner. A ring should give you more angular freedom, but I ended up cutting down an open ended spanner to about 120mm long, and now keep it as a special tool.

Thanks, though that looks like a column shifter switch. My switch is on the transfer case.

For that you should just replace the switch.

Thanks, though that looks like a column shifter switch. My switch is on the transfer case.

For the transfer case 4WD light switch it is possible to replace from the bottom side. Lift the front and shouldn't have any problems with more than a drip or two of gear oil. My 1970 model year FJ40 had a bad switch. I easily changed from the bottom.
IMG_2611 (1).JPG

Plunger was fine.
IMG_2613 (1).JPG

The opposite side with the two pigtail wires with the male bullet connectors can't say the same.
IMG_2614 (1).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom