Builds 86 Xtra Cab Build (4Wheelunderground 3 link front, 4 link rear and 3.4 swap) (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joined and checking in. I've got an 88 standard cab with lots of mods. SAS'd with 85 straight axle with high pinon from a land cruiser, 5.29 gears, Aussie Locker, Dirty 30's, Chromo hub gears and all the other typical goodies. V6 rear diff also with an Aussie Locker. Chevy rear springs and an anti-wrap bar. 35" KM3's. 3.4 swap, R151F trans with gear set from a R150. Dual 23 spline cases, Advance Adapter TX2, 4.7's in rear case, Davez Triple Shifter. TG power steering pump and hydraulic assist. T100 front brakes and dual diaphragm booster. Home built front bumper with old Warn 8274 with Masterpull line. Maybe more I forgot. I call it Frankenstein.

I joined because some of the other forums I'm on are kind of dead and I'm getting ready to build Frankenstein II. I've lurked here for a while and I like it. I bought an 86 Xtra Cab and stripped it to the bare frame and sheet metal. I'm going to swap most of my 88 over to this truck and install a 4WU front three link. I'm also tired of dragging my tail so either bobbing the bed or getting rid of it. Not sure yet. I'm selling whatever I'm not going to use. It helps to fund this project.

I have most of the 3 link parts ordered. I'm getting ready to plate the frame. I'll post up as I go. Probably ask for plenty of advice and opinions. It's going to take a while, lots to do.

Last edited:
Welcome to our slice of MUD, :flipoff2: <- official MUD welcome. Toss up some pics.

This is the 86 Xtra Cab when I brought it home. They're getting hard to find. I see a LOT of Toyota trucks heading south of the border through Arizona. Makes for slim pickins when you need parts.

This is my first attempt at attaching pics. Hopefully I get it right.

IMG_20210508_130750705.jpg

This truck was sitting in the sun since 1999. It was an old rancher's daughter's boyfriend's way back in the day. He got the title and I bought it.

I'm selling everything I can off it that I don't need. Already covered what I paid for it and in the positive.

Didn't take long to get it apart and everything cut off the frame.

IMG_20210605_171611478.jpg

IMG_20210513_111141051.jpg

IMG_20210609_151006765.jpg

IMG_20210610_100907456.jpg

IMG_20210609_091809324.jpg

IMG_20210609_084543140.jpg

IMG_20210608_161708068.jpg

Last edited:
Had to fix the front passenger side mount. I found a suspension bushing washer in my stash and modified it on my lathe. I cut it thinner than it is in the pic. Also replaced the front crossmember. Had been abused in the past.

IMG_20210616_171520388.jpg

Way cool. Keep up the posts. I've tagged your thread with "build."

Cool build, I like the extended cabs that year...sounds like you already have a ton of good parts to swap over from the 88'!
4WU 3 link will be a sweet setup, ive seen a couple of trail rigs with them and they look like they flex really well

My very detailed build thread for the 88 was on another forum but, the pics are all gone. I think I did it in 2012? If anybody wants to see pics of the SAS or the 3.4 swap let me know. Otherwise, I'll just post up the build of the 86.

I'm excited to get moving on this 86. Especially the suspension. I'm going to get steel this week to start reinforcing the frame. I need to make some room in my garage to park the 88 along side the 86. It's the only way I'm going to be able to swap parts. I have a sloped driveway and the HOA will be all over me if I had a disassembled vehicle in my driveway. It's going to be TIGHT.

If you're ever looking for some wheeling partners, look into joining the Copper State Cruisers! Here's the sub forum:

Looking forward to your build!

Yotadude, I'll look into the club. It's not just for Land Cruisers? My wife and I finally joined a club a few years ago but, Covid REALLY put a damper on activities. Really good group of people, mainly Jeeps. I think I was the only non Jeep on a few of our trips.

Any way, picked up some steel today. Making cardboard templates of the front frame section. My 4WU 3 link parts are at least a few weeks out I'm told. I have a bare 85 straight front axle I need to cut all the brackets off and the same for the rear axle housing. I'll start off with a clean slate. The bed is pretty beat right where I was thinking of bobbing it so I will get on that as well.

I'd like to keep my 88 drivable as long as possible. I'm going to have to get the engine and trans out to test fit in the 86 frame eventually though. I mounted the 3.4 in the 88 low to avoid a body lift or cutting the hood. This time I'm hoping to move it a little further to the rear if possible and maximize suspension travel. Also, the R151F shifter is under my radio. I had to bend a pretty good dog leg in it to clear. My power assist cylinder just barely clears my oil pan at max stuff. I'll cut a hole in the hood and "clearance" my firewall if I have to. My goal is lots of flex and no more dragging my tail on the steep stuff.

I made a cardboard template of the frame rail from the core support mount to the first cab mount.

Originally I was going to plate inside, outside, top and bottom with 3/16" steel. I emailed Brian @ 4Wheel Underground and he said to plate outside of both rails and all 4 sides on driver side only.

I cut out the piece, clamped it to the frame and traced EXACT fit to the frame. Used my belt grinder to trim as needed. Then I just copied it for the other side.

The belt sander attachment on my bench grinder is the best tool I never knew I needed. I use the heck out of it.

IMG_20210629_153941951.jpg

IMG_20210629_173750614.jpg

IMG_20210629_171034759.jpg

Last edited:
I marked where all the holes in the frame are and then marked the plates where I can cut holes to plug weld through.

I have seen some of the ready made plates you can buy. One has big holes all the way across to weld through. Another brand has slots. I kind of went with the slots but, more of them.

I drilled holes on each end of where I wanted the slots. I used a countersink to bevel them. I used my plasma cutter to connect the holes and a die grinder to finish the bevel. I'm also going to bevel the hole over the VIN plate. I want to make sure my weld fuses completely.

IMG_20210630_140018884.jpg

IMG_20210630_140035719.jpg

IMG_20210630_141128392.jpg

IMG_20210630_145024588.jpg

I made a pattern for the inside rail and cut it out in steel. It's going to go just beyond the cab mount and end in a taper. I'll get pics hopefully tomorrow. I got rained out for the day.

I used 3/16" x 8" wide steel strip and I bought 3/16" x 2 1/2" strip for the top and bottom. Steel prices are up but, I got a 20 foot stick of both for just under $125.

I just reread the email from Brian @ 4 Wheel Underground. It doesn't say to plate the inside.

I'm looking at all the holes on the frame at the thinnest section. I'm thinking of just going ahead and plating it. If not all the way to the cab mount, at least around the corner of the front crossmember. That's where the winch pulls from and the load of the steering box on the driver side.

Opinions??

IMG_20210630_193613450.jpg

I got both outside frame rail plates clamped on and tack welded. Solid spaced out tacks on the bottom. Top got fully welded so I can fit up the top plate.

Once I get it fitting properly I'll clean off the mill scale and drill holes for the plug welds. There will be an open corner joint on the outside edge. The inside edge is beveled.

I'll flip the frame over to finish weld the bottom and fit the bottom plate. I can weld overhead but, why work so hard.

I can see why Brian at 4 Wheel Underground said it's not necessary to plate the inside frame rail. There's a LOT of steel going on as is. I'm still concerned about the inside corners at the front crossmember though. I'm going to gusset it somehow.

The passenger side inside frame rail has a dent right near the hole at the arch that concerns me. Maybe I'll add a top and bottom plate on that side like the driver side. Gotta think about it. Advice is welcome.

IMG_20210701_133632659.jpg

IMG_20210701_182856692.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom