'86-'95 1st Generation IFS lift/upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have just added the 4" trailmaster ifs kit to my rig. I havent trail testet it yet, but I will in the near future. I really did not want to use this kit, but there are som street-legal issues in Norway with other kits/BL. I was actually really happy with just 2" of BL and 2-3" suspension lift rear.

But in order to get my rig thru the norwegian DMV I needed a TUV-approved kit. And the 4" trailmaster kit is one of three kits with that kind of certification. The other 2 is 2" ome and 2" trailmaster.

Im hoping I will be happy with this kit, but I have my doubts. I really want to do a SAS conversion, but that kind of rebuilding needs a lot of paper work and could be illegal here. I am planning to use LJ70 front axle with original frame fittings. But I need a little help from Toyota in norway to deal with some technical issues and I`m not sure they are willing to do that.

I will add my oppinion on the trailmaster kit after I`ve trail tested it. I run on 38s fyi...

My plans were delayed when I blew all of my Total Chaos money on an 80 (I needed more space!). I do have the uniballs and the frame crossmember on their way here. I will get some pic's when I have something worth showing.

I have just added the 4" trailmaster ifs kit to my rig. I havent trail testet it yet, but I will in the near future. I really did not want to use this kit, but there are som street-legal issues in Norway with other kits/BL. I was actually really happy with just 2" of BL and 2-3" suspension lift rear.

But in order to get my rig thru the norwegian DMV I needed a TUV-approved kit. And the 4" trailmaster kit is one of three kits with that kind of certification. The other 2 is 2" ome and 2" trailmaster.

Im hoping I will be happy with this kit, but I have my doubts. I really want to do a SAS conversion, but that kind of rebuilding needs a lot of paper work and could be illegal here. I am planning to use LJ70 front axle with original frame fittings. But I need a little help from Toyota in norway to deal with some technical issues and I`m not sure they are willing to do that.

I will add my oppinion on the trailmaster kit after I`ve trail tested it. I run on 38s fyi...

Really nice 4runner, saw your other post. Can you get us some pictures of how the brackets mount? We just love a show and tell. :D

The brackets mount easily, its bolt on really. Didnt have problems with anything else than a few missing parts. I used around 8 hours in total installings this kit. But thats including some coffe-breakes...;)

Here are some pictures I took during installation... or not... My quota here doesnt allow me to post anymore pictures :frown:

But I guess that will change when I have posted 10 posts...

Now it seems like I can post some pictures, sorry for all the stupid postings... ME=NEWBIE :crybaby:

The kit was bolt on, although I missed a few parts. Have just finished the last details. I am going to add some coil-spacers in the rear because I think I like it a little higher.

I also have ordered some brass bushings for my "steering-thing" (sorry, dont know the english term :doh: ). And I hope that will help!
DSC00311.JPG
DSC00315.JPG

Ah, as I thought trailmaster is the one that has a welded front truss to the drop brackets. Others re-use the stock truss and it mearly bolts to the drop brakets. But also the trailmaster requires part of the front truss mount to be cut, so it is hard to go back to a stock setup.

As for the rear did you consider using any Land Cruiser coils?

If you look at the first picture i posted in my last reply you will notice that only a 4cm little part of the original mountings had to be cut. I assume welding it back on wont be a problem.

Its a kit, and the rear coils with this kit is working good. A bit softer than my previous coils so it performs a bit different. But flexing seems better...

But as I said, its a legal issue here in Norway so I am going to get it approved with this lift and some 35s and after that I can consider what to do...

I went and pulled this from yotatech to show how other bracket kits mount.

P1010033.jpg

This is a Pro Comp stage II, but notice it reuses the front truss and mearly bolts to the drop brackets. It does however prevents the need to cut part of the lower arm mount.

Personally I think for more serious use, the Trailmaster kit is the way to go. Please those who have first hand expreince with kits like the Pro Comp feel free to step in here.

I'm in the process of doing some upgrades on my dad's '87 4runner. It's going to end up with Rancho rear add-a-leafs and 1.5" longer than stock Downey shackles in the rear. Up front it will have poly upper and lower arm bushings, 25mm Sway-away t-bars and 1.5" BJ spacers. Pretty much left-overs off my truck. ;p

Since the upper arms are those off of my truck I could take my time and pictures of the BJ spacer install. With the minor work of a cut off wheel, the spacers just slip right in. I've heard there could be rubbing with certain wheel off sets so I'll see how that truns out but nothing my grinder won't cure.

seoul041.jpg

seoul040.jpg

seoul042.jpg

seoul043.jpg

Ah, as I thought trailmaster is the one that has a welded front truss to the drop brackets. Others re-use the stock truss and it mearly bolts to the drop brakets. But also the trailmaster requires part of the front truss mount to be cut, so it is hard to go back to a stock setup.

As for the rear did you consider using any Land Cruiser coils?

Incorrect - that's not a trailmaster kit. At least the brackets are not trailmaster. The only three that supply welded brackets are SuperLift, SkyJacker and TuffCountry. Directly from the TM site:

TP50.gif

My kit is from trailmaster! I could get my install guide and scan-to-show-you... Trailmaster is the only kit who is TUV-approved. I know for a fact that the trailmaster kit wasnt welded earlier, but mine is as you can see in my pictures. ;) (maybe its for the european marked, I dont know)

Most of the parts in the picture above are the same, but some parts are for the truck and not for the runner.

The only thing in my kit that isnt from trailmaster is the coils, because they have discontiued them according to my norwegian supplier. He supplied me with pro-comp coils instead.

Looks to me like Tuff Country IS NOT a welded truss type. From their site:

54800_lg.gif

Odd. I thought they re-badged Superlift's components. Guess not!

My kit is from trailmaster! I could get my install guide and scan-to-show-you... Trailmaster is the only kit who is TUV-approved. I know for a fact that the trailmaster kit wasnt welded earlier, but mine is as you can see in my pictures. ;) (maybe its for the european marked, I dont know)

Most of the parts in the picture above are the same, but some parts are for the truck and not for the runner.

The only thing in my kit that isnt from trailmaster is the coils, because they have discontiued them according to my norwegian supplier. He supplied me with pro-comp coils instead.

PErhaps they made recent changes? Dunno. I pulled the pict above from their web-site. The kit on my '93 was the bolt-together design.

I am running bj spacers, stock tbars (haven't touched them at all), low pro compression bumpstops, OME N98 shocks, OME steering stabilizer, no sway bar, idler arm brace, Sonoran Steel IFS rear truss, aisin manual hubs, and 33x12.5x15 on 15x8 steel wheels with 3.75" backspacing. I have been running this for 1.5 yrs. now and am as happy as I think I can be with IFS. Flexes well for IFS, and has been reliable. I have wheeled it in a variety of terrains and it has performed well. Fireroads, difficult rock trails, high speed desert in DV, long road trips (CA to MN), and it keeps on trucking. Paired with cruiser coils in the rear, it makes a great combo. The link in my sig has all the details.

Last edited:
cv axle problems on toyota pickup 4x4

i got a 1994 toyota 4x4 lifted 7 inches on 35's
everytime i lock it in 4wd the right front cv axle throws out
does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be?

i got a 1994 toyota 4x4 lifted 7 inches on 35's
everytime i lock it in 4wd the right front cv axle throws out
does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Too much angle and too big of tires? And what do you mean by "throws out"? Make sure nothing is broken and that you're not maxing out your joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom