For Sale '84 FJ60 in san francisco bay area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD 11/10/15 to tran90265

*** Update 10/29/15 sale cancelled until negotiations with insurance companies are finalized***

** Update 10/9/15 :Cruiser was hit and flipped on its side no rollover -***

Here is my moderately built trail rig for sale
10/84 build date
Except for 6 months in Colorado always resided in Oregon or California
290k miles and rising as a daily driver.
Desert Beige
$8000 ( before accident price )
Located in Sausalito CA 94965

I have owned this Cruiser since 2011 and and have driven it about 70,000 miles- - both on and off road, all over the western states. It's been great, but I need something different.

Overall the rig looks fairly tough, runs good, devours trails and daily drives like the beast that it is.

Hopefully someone will buy it that wants to take it camping and wheeling. It's great for that - no need to worry about nature's pinstriping and also no need to worry about getting back home.

I am selling because I can't drive it anymore without aggravating past injuries. The manual transmission on this is hard to drive and the extra hours spent on the long freeway going to the trail - keeping it around 2800 rpm/ 58mph-have taken their toll on me. Once you get off road or for a limited around town driving it's really fun. I do love this truck.

I no longer have the file with all the records going back to 1993. But I will do my best to recount what I've done to the vehicle and to give a complete overview of its current condition.

<<<Exterior/Interior: >>>
-no holes from rust on body or frame
-surface rust at various places throughout
-small to medium scratches and dents throughout
-small hole in rain gutter from rack mount incident in 2012. It has rust.
-missing rocker panel trim both sides
-missing cargo window trim both sides
-missing all rain gutter trim
-rear hatch rattles a bit when closed and locked.
-rear hatch sags to about level with the rain gutter when it's cold outside
-all doors and locks are working. The exception is the passenger side cannot be opened by key.
-all.windows are leak free with no cracks
-the windshield is aftermarket and has a few stars.
-the driver side window regulator was replaced with new OEM and the passenger side replaced with used OEM both done in 2012.
-the rear bumper has a receiver and the signal wiring. I used it one time with a uhaul trailer in 2013. It worked then.
-both rear bumper caps are scratched and dented.
-the ARB deluxe bull bar cracked and was welded in 2013. It was installed new in 2011.
-the Warn xd9000 winch has been used once for recovery. It has steel cable. The controls are in great shape.The winch was installed new in 2011.
-the headlights are round eyes- installed with an upgraded wiring harness in 2011 it is a big improvement from the stock headlights.
-all signals and running lights work. One rear signal assembly has some cracking.
-carpet is original in good condition throughout the passenger area.
- In the cargo area there are some stains on the carpet and the interior trim by the tailgate is missing.
-the tailgate carpet trim has some black tape on it.
-the only upholstery tear is the usual in the driver seat. Both front seats have high quality covers. But on the driver seat it's finally torn through.
-the headliner is intact and with normal wear- I've never touched it.
-all interior lights work -dome is from FJ80 it works better I think.
-FJ62 grab bar installed on dash -shotgun riders always appreciate this.
-no stereo
-In dash map compartment is in the Action Packer not in the dash.
-lighter works.
-power outlet installed for rear cargo area runs off the blue Optima
-dash is cracked above the speedometer and at the usual speaker area
-air conditioning is set to fresh - recirc is unavailable unless you manually change it under dash.
-A/C is ice cold and is running r-12 coolant. I got the leaks fixed and a fresh charge of i think 3 lbs of r-12 at a little shop in Tucson in 2011 .
-ARB switch for air compressor falls off sometimes when I don't depress gently
-sun visor on passenger side needs to be massaged up or down or replaced. The damage is in the metal interior.
-rear washer doesn't work
-rear wiper does work
-horn sometimes doesn't work on all three buttons even after servicing earlier this year
-speedometer squeaks on and off depending on the weather- after I installed a new OEM cable when the old one broke in 2012.
-all 5 seat belts work but the driver buckle got an end broken off. I sanded it down so it's not sharp and it won't stick you in the gut.
-there's a 24 gallon Action Packer that comes full of Cruiser extras including a good used OEM starter and an ARB tire repair kit. Included in the sale of course.

<<<Engine/ Drivetrain/Suspension>>>

Here's what is coming up for maintenance and what I have on my list to fix:

- spark plugs look close to done but no misfire. I'll try to get done this week.

-OEM toyota front brake pads are at about 20% after 70k miles.

-valves last adjusted at 265k on the odeometer so that's about 20k miles ago.

-oil change I'll do in the next day or so. Usually I run Castrol high mileage. I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit as it was leaking.

-PS pump was new OEM installed 2012 I still have to add fluid every week or two. It also groans sometimes.

-pistons were replaced at 221k - it burns about a quart between oil changes

-spare tire has a plugged tiny sidewall hole it's also a BFG and it holds air. It's on my list to replace.

-rear driver side tire leaks occasionally about 1lb a day. I think it's the valve stem. No one can find a bubble when submerged.

-when the rebuilt PS gear box was installed in 2011, the steering wheel was set just a couple of clicks off center. I didn't get around to adjusting it.

-there's some leakage from both front inner axle seals I think. It's not leaking on the ground, but it's there. A knuckle rebuild is probably in the future.

-there's some seepage from the passenger side aisin hub -I'm told the gasket is cheap- the install is tricky. Moves smoothly from lock to free.

-there's rear driveline vibration that's most noticeable accelarating around 22-27mph
It's not gotten worse in the past 4 years. Most techs shrug when I ask about it.

-4wd light only comes on when it's cold outside

-Speedometer and odeometer are not accurate with the 33s on. If you multiply by 0.9 that's closer to the real number.

-The suspension bushings are pretty much shot. There's some creaking now

-The rig leans about an inch and a half lower to the passenger side. I talked to the guy that designed the mojave lift and he said it does that to his 60 also. I tried putting in a longer rear shackle but that only ended up correcting the lean by 3/4 of an inch. Also when it is empty it sits higher in the rear. With a heavy load it sits level. The rear springs have triple overload leaves. It's actually a fairly smooth ride off road, all things considered.

****That's all on that section.***

<<Service and modifications done: >>>

At 173k : clutch replaced at toyota dealer
At 210k : new OEM radiator installed
( I recall this from the previous owners file)

At around 221k :
-steering linkage and tie rod ends replaced
-new exhaust & cat
-stainless egr pipe installed
-header pipe welded
-oil pan and gasket.
-starter replaced with used OEM

-Heavy duty bump stops installed 2012

-33 x 10.5 BFG ATs were purchased 7/2013 and have 18k miles and rising on them.

-running gutted air pump right now with hose and air pump in Action Packer ready for a smog test.

-alternator replaced 2012
-Red & Blue Optima batteries new in 2011
-knuckles rebuild in 2011
-transfer case rebuilt in 2011
-manifold resurfaced in 2012

-differentials rebuilt with used ARB lockers front and rear. Lockers and gears are over 10 years old from another rig. Gears are 4.56 I think.

-front driveline was modified to accommodate the shackle reversal - I broke it on the trail and it was repaired in 2013.

-brake lines were upgraded to heavy duty in 2011

-belts are all fine -new OEM in 2011
-all worn hoses have been replaced

-VIAIR air Compressor and 100lb reserve tank installed new in 2011. It takes about 5 minutes per tire to go from 12psi to 32psi with this set up.

-used 4" Mojave lift with shackle reversal installed and new OME nitrocharger sport shocks installed 2011

-OME steering stablizer installed it is over 10 years old now.

-new MAF u bolt flip kit 2012 -glad I had it so many times on the trail.

I've spent quite a bit of time compiling this list and I think it is complete. Feel free to ask what about what I've left out or been unclear on.

I am now only listing this on MUD. I've listed at a price that I would feel great about paying as-is today. I hope the next owner takes this thing and wheels the hell out of it. That's what it's for.

I'm having trouble posting the pics -doing this on android is tricky. I'll try to post more or ask me for the shots you need to see.

Best to all who view the ad,

Matt

20151002_184054.jpg

20151002_185059.jpg

20151005_182603.jpg

20151005_182928.jpg

20151002_184424.jpg

Last edited:
At around 4:30pm today, while i watched in disbelief from the living room window, my neighbor lost control of her car and displayed how leverage can be used to flip over a Cruiser. The Cruiser is still for sale, although at this point it's safe to say that $8k is no longer a firm price. ;) see attached pics. An unintended benefit of this accident was the outstanding lighting I had for underside pics.

20151009_163428.jpg

20151009_171309.jpg

20151009_171314.jpg

20151009_173844.jpg

20151009_171500.jpg

Holy s***e, that is nuts. Just nuts. I would cry a little. Any idea how the insurance is going to play out?

I am going to be in the area for a few days let me know if you want a quick sell or part out thanks

I am going to be in the area for a few days let me know if you want a quick sell or part out thanks
Thanks. I don't think I know what a fair price would be yet. Still working with the insurance companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom