83 FJ60 Build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think one of the reasons for the carb cooling fan was to help cool the exhaust manifold. I have been known to be wrong most of the time though. Good luck on your build.:cheers:

Disassembly work

Got about 20 minutes on the 60 tonight.

I finished removing the radiator support. I had removed all the bolts easily except the two mounts to the body. One I took off with an impact wrench last night with some PB blaster. The other one wouldn't budge. Since the little one was sleeping (< 1yr old), I had to improvise on my method of cutting the bolt off. I started off with a hacksaw and moved on to a dremel wheel.

Problem came when my 3yr old son who was helping me learned his first lesson when working in the garage. Don't pick up hot parts! All was soothed over with some ice cream.

Log Book

I decided to keep a log book at the start of this project. It has all of my hours, dates and receipts in it. That way I won't loose track of everything. When I am done, I will tally up all the hours and $ spent on the project for all to see.

Bumper mounts

When I pulled the bumper I realized the bumper mounts were bent up. Looks like the mounts are buck riveted to the frame. I am thinking about pulling these off as I will probably mount a new bumper right to the frame. Any thoughts on this?

I think one of the reasons for the carb cooling fan was to help cool the exhaust manifold. I have been known to be wrong most of the time though. Good luck on your build.:cheers:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the intake and exhuast manifold on the same side with the carb.

Disassembly work

Got 45 minutes on the 60 last night.

Took off the LH fender. You can see the damage to the front corner where it attaches to the apron. You can also see some rust closer to the drivers door.

Took off the washer fluid bottle. Lid is broken off.

Took off the hood hinges. Unfortunately one of the bolts broke off. I tried getting it off with a bolt extractor but no luck. I will have to work on it when I get more access to the firewall.

Last edited:
Disassembly work

Got an hour on the 60 today.

Removed the LH inner fender.

Removed the Antenna and RH Fender. You can see the rust around the mud flaps and the start of the deep scratch the PO left down the passenger side.

Removed the RH front mud flap bracket. There was no mudflap left.

Removed the Ignition coil. Removed the aftermarket electronic fuel pump the PO had installed. Not sure why they didn't just put a new mechanical one on.

Removed the RH inner fender as well.

Hey Project60,
Is this the cruiser that was parked on 120th by Barbers Turkey's that was for sale?

Looks good, keep the momentum going and you will be there before you know it!

Carb fan is there to keep the fuel from evaporating from the carb after it is shut off with a hot engine. Also helps the seals and boots and things last a bit longer because they stay moist with fuel.

The bumper hangers are best removed, they do not do much, and get in the way of future mods. Either grind the head off and pound the stud out with a punch or just torch the head off and do the same.
:cheers:

Edit: Torch on the hanger side to avoid removal of frame material.

Disassembly work

1 hour and 10 minutes on the 60 today.

Removed the smog mess. What a mess of hoses.

Pulled the carpet back and pulled off the shifter cover. The FSM says to use a SST to pull the shifter off. Anyone have a picture of it?

Shifter Removal

Trying to avoid buying all the SST tools. I have found an article on installing an H55F tranny and how they removed the shift lever at http://tlc.off-road.com/tlc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=264309. I will try this out and see if it works.

Remove Shift Lever
Press downward on the shift lever retaining ring and rotate it counterclockwise to remove. Now the shift lever can be completely pulled out.

I thought so! It looked familiar. Sounds like your just diving right into this project. I stopped and took a look at it one day on my way to work and thought to myself, here's a rebuild project. The shifter comes off pretty easy, no SST needed. I installed the H55 in my 60 and I love it. Are you going to put a 5 speed back in this one? We should get together sometime and talk. Sounds like were not that far apart. I work in Broomfield.
Toolman

I thought so! It looked familiar. Sounds like your just diving right into this project. I stopped and took a look at it one day on my way to work and thought to myself, here's a rebuild project. The shifter comes off pretty easy, no SST needed. I installed the H55 in my 60 and I love it. Are you going to put a 5 speed back in this one? We should get together sometime and talk. Sounds like were not that far apart. I work in Broomfield.
Toolman

I don't think I will do an H55 yet. I am going to rebuild the 4 spd for now just to keep some of the rebuild cost down. Yeah, let me know on getting together some time, I'd love to check out a nice 5spd 60! :)

Disassembly work

Got 1.5 hours on the 60 tonight.

Removed both shifters and covered tranny shifter with a rag. The transmission shifter was "push down on the silver ring and twist counter clockwise". There is no need to buy the SST on that one.

Since the body has to go outside while I work on the frame, I covered the hole with a trashbag and taped it down.

I also unscrewed the connection between the 2 brake lines and the frame, the clutch slave cylinder and the firewall, the charcoal canister and the firewall, heater hoses, vac brake booster hose and tied back the wiring looms. I pulled the intermediate steering shafter and dust cover as well. I am trying to get everything disconnected between the body and frame.

Looks awesome man! i kind of did the same thing with mine, but more came on mine when i bought it. My wife's next plan is with a 55 or 40/45.

Disassembly work

Got 1hr 15min on the 60 today.

Unhooked the choke cable, throttle linkage, heater return hose and coolant sensor wire. Removed the steering rock guard. Removed the skid plate and started to remove the exhaust. Sorry nothing to really take pictures of.

Disassembly work

Got 50 minutes on the 60 last night with not much to show for it.

I went back to working on the exhaust. I pulled the ground wire from the TCase to the frame. I then started trying to pull the exhaust off. Rusty bolts are no fun, especially while lying on your back (Note to Self: Keep your mouth closed while working on the bottom of the truck :frown: ).

I will break out the impact wrench this weekend and get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom