'83 Dies while in motion. Help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been working on my 83 2F for a bit. We have cleaned the has tank and replaced all fuel lines. Carb is new from CityRacer. She starts up fine and drives off then dies. Sits for 30 minutes and starts up again. What am I missing? I'm a noob so go easy.

Sounds like an ignition problem. Something is getting warm and cutting out.

1983 doesn’t have the electronic distributor I don’t think. check ignition system unless you are certain it’s a fuel issue

When it dies have you checked to see if you have fuel in the carb and spark at the plugs?

When it dies have you checked to see if you have fuel in the carb and spark at the plugs?
I have not. I can't see the carb site
Negative. I can't see the level in the site glass. Would I check the spark only after it dies? It is usually on the road when this happens. I can let her idle in the street for a long time with no issues.

Sounds like an ignition problem. Something is getting warm and cutting out.

1983 doesn’t have the electronic distributor I don’t think. check ignition system unless you are certain it’s a fuel issue
I am not certain of anything at this point. What should I check? I replaced the starter today.

I have not. I can't see the carb site

Negative. I can't see the level in the site glass.
use a flash light or even the flashlight on your phone to look into the sight glass and see what or if there is fuel in the carb. If there is no fuel there you can loosen the fuel line that connects to the carb slightly. Crank the engine and see if you have an fuel leaking from that slightly loosened connection.

Would I check the spark only after it dies? It is usually on the road when this happens. I can let her idle in the street for a long time with no issues.
Checking spark any other when it is running wont do you any good because....well its running so clearly you have spark at that point.

Easiest way to check your spark is bring a spare spark plug with you and when the truck dies and wont start.....open the hood, take one of the wires off a spark plug thats in the truck, put your spare plug in end of the spark plug wire, put the end of the spark plug against a metal part of the engine and have someone crank the truck for a couple of seconds. I also recommend bringing some good leather work gloves to wear while you hold the spark wire with the plug in it. If you see a nice bright spark when the engine is cranked then you know its probably not an ignition problem.

I am not certain of anything at this point. What should I check? I replaced the starter today.
why did you replace the starter?

when you said the truck dies and won’t restart do you mean that the truck dies and when you turn the key to restart nothing happens or maybe there is just a click? Or when you turn the key to start does the engine spin but never starts back up?

Last edited:
why did you replace the starter?

when you said the truck dies and won’t restart do you mean that the truck dies and when you turn the key to restart nothing happens or maybe there is just a click? Or when you turn the key to start does the engine spin but never starts back up?
The engine will turn over and even start for a second using starter fluid and then die again.

The engine will turn over and even start for a second using starter fluid and then die again.
Ok. So replacing the starter won’t do anything for you in this case.

I replaced the starter because it died. At first I thought it was the battery but that was good so I went to the stater. Put that on and she started right back up.
Ok. So replacing the starter won’t do anything for you in this case.
Yea, but it had been dying anyway. I didn't think it would help this issue.

Pls share some engine bay pics. Front and from both sides. Is this smogged or desmogged? Does it die suddenly or does it sputter first? Open up your dizzy cap and share pic underneath cover and dizzy inerds. Hard to diagnose without knowing what you have. Focus on air, fuel, spark. You might have a vacuum leak that opens up when hot. What is your idle vacuum reading at cold start and say after 15 mins?

Pls share some engine bay pics. Front and from both sides. Is this smogged or desmogged? Does it die suddenly or does it sputter first? Open up your dizzy cap and share pic underneath cover and dizzy inerds. Hard to diagnose without knowing what you have. Focus on air, fuel, spark. You might have a vacuum leak that opens up when hot. What is your idle vacuum reading at cold start and say after 15 mins?
Copy that. I'll get them today. She will sputter, stop, start up and go 10 feet and die for good for 30 minutes.

Air cleaner installed?

I replaced the starter because it died. At first I thought it was the battery but that was good so I went to the stater. Put that on and she started right back up.

Yea, but it had been dying anyway. I didn't think it would help this issue.
It’s also possible that your old starter was ok. The wiring that triggers the solenoid can become problematic in older trucks and when it gets hot won’t trigger the solenoid properly. If your old starter only failed when hot then that’s a good place to look. If it was bad when cold then could be wiring or starter. Either way you’ve got a new one in there now. If you have starter problems in the future there is a simple mod to assist the wiring

use a flash light or even the flashlight on your phone to look into the sight glass and see what or if there is fuel in the carb. If there is no fuel there you can loosen the fuel line that connects to the carb slightly. Crank the engine and see if you have an fuel leaking from that slightly loosened connection.

Checking spark any other when it is running wont do you any good because....well its running so clearly you have spark at that point.

Easiest way to check your spark is bring a spare spark plug with you and when the truck dies and wont start.....open the hood, take one of the wires off a spark plug thats in the truck, put your spare plug in end of the spark plug wire, put the end of the spark plug against a metal part of the engine and have someone crank the truck for a couple of seconds. I also recommend bringing some good leather work gloves to wear while you hold the spark wire with the plug in it. If you see a nice bright spark when the engine is cranked then you know its probably not an ignition problem.
Should I just replace all plugs?
Air cleaner installed?
Brand new

Should I just replace all plugs?

Brand new
Putting all new OEM plugs in and setting their gap is a good way to go. Won’t hurt to adjust the valve clearance a d replace the cap, rotor, and wires too if they are questionable. Also check what your fuel filter element looks like. Only a couple bucks to put a new one in.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom