83 60 with 200k?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents-

This is my first look at purchasing a 60. Owned Discos and Defender 90s previously. Focused on getting a clean (no rust) well maintained 60.

Looking at one now that is around $10k -- SUPER clean, does not appear to have any rust - CA car. Owned by older couple and taken great care of. That said it is ALL original. 200,000 miles.

Is the mileage something to be concerned about?? It appears a well maintained 60 can hold well over 300,000 - but why are there so many rebuilds?

Is this vehicle over-priced given the mileage?

Appreciate any advice/guidance.

Thanks in advance!

There are a lot of other factors that play in the price. But 60s are way up in price, I was looking down in oregon a month or so ago, there wasn't a single one listed for under 9k and it seems like anything thats a looker is going to be over 6k they have really jumped in price.

As for the rebuild it could be a few reasons, people want another 300k out of them or they didnt know how to check the oil because they make it so Damn hard to find the dip stick on those engines and people burn em out.

Welcome to mud, get one and you will never go back to LR sept maybe the 90/110s

That sounds like a lot of money for that truck. No matter how nice, it's still significantly overpriced.

Remember, many things will need rebuild/replaced even if it is well maintained. Things wear, stop working and it's normal for a 29 year old car.

With good maintenance, it still has a lot of life left. I think you will be favorably impressed reliability wise especially when the competition is a LR. Once base line and little problems taken care of, they will usually go for years with nothing but routine care like fluid changes and occasional brake pads.

Consider looking at FJ62s. They make a better overall truck due to the fuel injection. I used to consider them bastard step children but 4 years of daily driver use (and daily drove my 60 before that) has made me a believer.

I'd offer around $5k for the truck you are looking at. That isn't a low ball offer, it's a fair offer. You can always settle a bit higher. Almost with certainty, it will need a full front end rebuild, new steering components, and likely new suspension. Don't forget to factor all of that in.

Thanks guys. I definitely think the seller is more focused on the aesthics in his asking price. I totally agree that even if well maintained - the 200,000 miles is a ton of wear/tear on the drivetrain, suspension etc.

How important is rust when evaluating 60/62s? Sounds like the condition of the body is a major concern -- so therefore how much of a premium should be placed on a vehicle that appears 'rust free'. Because this one does....

BTW - here is a pic of this beauty -- with original 464 Beige paint job
FJ60.jpg

X2 on Cruiserdrew's advice, although I still prefer 60's. In the words of the legendary Marshall Lucky," that price is too F-ing high!"

Last edited:
There is a huge difference in it looking good and it actually being good. Go check it out in person. Drive it, stare at it, ponder from the driver seat. See what you think.

Check the rear inner frame rails, rear quarters, rain gutters. Also, look for oil leaks. Check the A/C, heater. Basically leave nothing to question. Go through it. Ask questions here if you need help with any pieces of it. The more photos of it that we can see the more feedback we can give as well.

There is a huge difference in it looking good and it actually being good. Go check it out in person. Drive it, stare at it, ponder from the driver seat. See what you think.l.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Drive it...do you love it? If you don't love it, don't buy it. If you love it, then take it to an objective appraiser to give you a rational view of what's good/bad/needs fixing.

10k is about 4-6k too much for a 200k mile rig even if it is clean. The bottom line is maintenance or lack of maintenance. Are there copious amounts of service records? or just what he says was done. The proof and $$$$ are in the documentation otherwise it is just a bull**** job and a steam cleaning.

Dyno

Sure! Bought mine in 2005, seven years ago with 271,000 miles (436'132 km) . Now 331,000 miles (532'692 km). Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! See my other post "As good as it gets"

Last edited:
I am discussing the vehicle with seller tomorrow -- trying to figure out if worth visiting. what questions would you all ask of a vehicle like this?

200k on original engine
stated "all" original paint, interior etc.
2nd Owner
Service records kept

Thoughts?

I really want to learn what's important in assessing a used 60. While this may not be the 'one' for me -- i really want to buy one.

Thanks a ton fellas....

My only significant issues would be if there is rust anywhere. Those mies are not too biga deal if the price is right. Love the pics.

My hj had all servicebills with it and that was a huge amount (more than 10000 euro) and it has (or had, ok has, well..) plenty of rust.
If you look at all the prices consider buying a cheap one and spend a few thousend dollars on parts then you are sure it is done.
If you do the work yourself?
For example: I dont know how long wheel bearings last but new ones for sure will last a long time.

200 000 miles = 321 868.8 kilometers That sure needs some real parts and I mean parts and not a spraycan with wax.
I bought mine with 229000 km, now 250 without issues.

The price you are willing to pay depends on what you desire in the truck.

Do you want a quality original paint job ? That can be priceless but only if you want originality.

Have you looked at the 60/62 FAQ (frequently asked questions) yet? It is a "sticky" on this 60's Tech forum, and very helpful.

Danny

Yeah check some of the other "help with purchase" threads. Main issues to look for are rust in the wheel wells, frame, other open spots, etc. If there is rust determine if it is superficial or cancer. Definitely check the frame rails (will have to crawl under the truck in good light or with a flashlight) and the rear c-channel at the very end of the chassis. Some layering is ok but if you are getting pieces of rust off that are any larger than a quarter you are in for trouble.

"If you're buying a Jeep, buy the drivetrain, if you're buying a Landcruiser buy a solid body."
--Freepowder 2011

My $0.02 -- overpriced by $3-$5k.

A bit over a year ago I paid $2300 for a rust free '84 FJ60 with 300k. It has a perfect dash and decent interior. I gave $500 for an '85 roller with OME suspension and 33's. I put the '85 axles/springs/tires under my truck, Kevin Rowland bought the roller and restored the shell.

That said, I sold my '84 LR 110 for $12k. My 60 is twice the truck. You'll be tempted by Land Rovers, but you won't go back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom