$800.00 to Install Bosal Exhaust... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
So my plan was to install the entire bosal exhaust myself. Temperatures were in the teens this past Sat....Iwas able to remove all but the Y-pipe forward. I decided to bring it to a shop to remove from manifold and install the new system.
They called today and said all the bolts to the manifold broke and they need to send it to a machine shop. They said that would be 2-3hrs plus their time to install the new system. ...said it will be about 800.....

Seems pricey to me...can't take longer than 2 hrs for a professional shop to install the exhaust can it?? If so that would mean the machine shop is charging 500-600 or 250-300 an hour.....

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Sounds like you need to go see what's wrong with the vehicle that needs a machine shop to fix.

They broke ALL of the bolts? Sounds like somebody there was a bit overzealous with the impact and just said "fxxx it" and wacked 'em all off.

Sounds like you need to go see what's wrong with the vehicle that needs a machine shop to fix.

I am ignorant in this area but I was assuming to drill out the busted off bolts...or they tried drilling them out themselves and tore up the threading on the manifold.....??

The second they snapped one of them off, they should have called you and told you what happened and asked you how you wanted to proceed. (ie, take the truck home, soak the bolts in PB Blaster for 2 weeks, try again by hand, etc)... basically I think they rushed this with the mentality of "Oh well, we'll just bill him for the extra, what can he do about it?" because they know they have your vehicle and you by the shorts, ya know?

Quoted for posterity from other thread regarding.

If you want to save yourself unexpected expense with shop mark up, gather the O2 sensor studs/nut and gaskets, Y pipe studs/nuts and gaskets, and exhaust manifold studs/nuts (if required for your kit) and gasket.

Odds are, you'll need all, unless yours has never seen the light of day.

Telling you, there's no good way to get this stuff apart and breakage is bound to happen.

Not sure why a machine shop is involved because a pipe wrench is easiest means to remove studs from block, and bet they broke near the nut side.

Worst case, weld a nut to the stud, and remove. Not an $800 job, but it's a royal PITA!

You're just talking about the 4 bolts where the manifold meets Y-pipe, correct?

Needs to go to a machine shop? WTF for?

rust

You said temp was in the teens. I'm willing to bet along with the cold you have salted roads that your Cruiser has been exposed to. PITA means more money the mechanic charges. This is normal. Mechanics don't go do work to do PITA jobs for the pleasure of it. There was a reason you didn't do it yourself, right? For that price though, make sure it's done right because that is what you are paying for.

You're just talking about the 4 bolts where the manifold meets Y-pipe, correct?

Needs to go to a machine shop? WTF for?

No joke.

Easy way if not removing the y pipe.

image-1911386066.jpg

Easier way if y pipe removed, as suggested scottryana.

image-2364288737.jpg

image-1911386066.jpg

image-2364288737.jpg

I can't believe an exhaust shop can't do this themselves. mike

At best the manifolds used from a recycler are worth $100 each. They are not worth sending to the machine shop.

Has the shop removed the manifolds from the head? I would ask for a written estimate.

Are you sure the "$800 to $900" is only for the outside shop work? Or is that the total estimate? It's rather steep, if for the outside shop only. If for the whole enchilada, then that's actually a not unreasonable number.

This worked for me :meh:

kdstudremovaltool.jpg
Nice. I like that contraption. Looks like it would work.

That exhaust shop is out of their mind. I'd go get that truck and buy 2 used manifolds somewhere if I couldn't get the studs out. $800 to install the exhaust is insane.

Are you sure the "$800 to $900" is only for the outside shop work? Or is that the total estimate? It's rather steep, if for the outside shop only. If for the whole enchilada, then that's actually a not unreasonable number.

800 is for everything...they said 2-3hrs a machine shop and then there labor to install the new system....we will see what the final numbers end up at.

Sounds painful, but could be worse. Shops hate taking on jobs just when they get to be more than some guy in his carport decides professional help is needed, so you may not be getting the best price on this fix, but you did get "a" price, which is better than them telling you to check down the street. They also know they kinda have you over the barrel already.

When you get it back, it should be good and you won't still be trying to get the rust crumbs outta your eyes.:cheers:

I broke a few of the studs on mine without an impact gun. Had to pull the manifold to weld bolts onto the broken studs as mentioned earlier. Then had to get new gaskets for the manifold to the head as well as new studs for the block as the old ones came out with the nuts. If all that is being done I would have gladly paid 800 bucks to have it back same day. Took me a week of nightime work after receiving the gasket and studs to finish up what I thought would be a simple cat back exhaust install. Hope they do a complete job at least, new studs gaskets and no leaks. Good luck!

My saga: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/410359-exhaust-studs-look-badd.html

SNIP
If all that is being done I would have gladly paid 800 bucks to have it back same day. Took me a week of nightime work after receiving the gasket and studs to finish up what I thought would be a simple cat back exhaust install.
SNIP
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/410359-exhaust-studs-look-badd.html

You got that right. In fact, I'd almost bet you'd be OK with paying someone $800 and getting it back in a week to avoid that aggravation.

Those poor exhaust guys don't get much respect, it's just about the dirtiest job in wrenching. 'Course, when they hand you a bill like that it does make you a little more respectful. Rarely does anyone say "I'd rather done it myself." No you wouldn't.:p

I hit the bottom of my manifold with PB Blast every day for a week prior to replacing my Y pipe. Still snapped one stud. Fortunately it was still long enough. I agree with the other post....they should of called you right after breaking off the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom