80 vs 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

95-97 is the 80 you want if you have the option. They are out there if you're dead set on having one.
Correction: 93-97 is the 80 you want. Don’t get a 100. They’re nice, I love them but if you get one, you’ll probably regret not waiting for that venerable 80.

I posted this on the hundred series page two, but I want to get the other sides perspective, hope that's okay.

I am in the market for my first LC/LX and am stuck between choosing an 80 or a 100 series. I will be using this for doing an overland build. I will be doing day trips to local fire service roads, with some overnight camping here and there in National Forest/BLM land. I hope to do at least one multi-day over landing trip a year.

The 80 is obviously more capable and it seems easier to do suspension mods on, plus it just has that old school cool aesthetic. The draw of the hundred series is it seems to be larger and more comfortable, which may become important down the line as I have two small children. I'm afraid that if I get an 80 that they will not want to spend all day in the backseat, let alone and multi-day camping trip on the trail. It seems like even though it isn't quite as capable as the 80 series, it is plenty capable for my needs. The only downside I see is it doesn't look as cool and it is much more complicated when it comes to wrenching. I'm not a super good mechanic but I know how to follow YouTube video, and my brother is CAT mechanic who owns a 91 FJ80.

Another part of my conundrum is how the market is right now. For example for $8k I found a very clean 91 FJ 80, with 270k miles. I also found an LX 450 with an ARB bumper and winch that has 205k miles, asking $12k. For the hundred series I have found a few examples that are between 150 and 200,000 mi and they're asking prices have been $14k to $17k. It seems like for not a whole lot more money I can get a newer platform as a base for my build. My rational side says 100 series is the better choice but my emotional side is telling me I may regret not getting an 80, though I am concerned about buying a 30-year-old vehicle with such high miles, as well as fitting a family of four in it for years to come.

Who has had an 80 and moved to a 100 or vice versa, thoughts? Regrets?

What should I do?!
I have both right under 200k miles, a 1994 FZJ80 and a 2001 LX470 fully built for overlanding and I can say go with the 100 if you are thinking of your kids. If they are going to be in there for any considerable amount of time it is way more comfortable. I am 17 myself and essentially 6 feet tall, I am completely comfortable in the back seat of the 100. The 80 is a completely different story. The 80 is nice and my personal favorite (daily driver), but the 100 is better in comfort, similar in off road performance, and the extra power from the 2UZ is super nice. Some bolt-ons to the 2UZ can get you a good amount of power for a relatively low amount of money too! Also keep in mind, the 100 gets about 5-6mpg better than the 80 fully built out. I get about 7-8 in my 80 and 13-14 in my 100.

Since you live in Cali, go late FZJ80 or the GX option.....smogging a motor swap is like pushing a wet noodle in your AO.

Or the 100, if you can’t see your way to a early 200 / 3UR motor.

Pre-‘13 200’s aren’t the same traction control, but still get the 5.7 & a J-VIN.

I say that as I love my nearly 25yo to me 80, and my 3UR/5.7 Tundra to tow the boat.
I dig timing chain motors.

:meh:

Also keep in mind, the 100 gets about 5-6mpg better than the 80 fully built out. I get about 7-8 in my 80 and 13-14 in my 100.
Don't lump every 80 series into your obviously non-maintained 80 series fuel bracket. If you only get 7-8 mpg that reflects more on you than the vehicle.

Don't lump every 80 series into your obviously non-maintained 80 series fuel bracket. If you only get 7-8 mpg that reflects more on you than the vehicle.

Couldn't agree more. My 80 and 100 get roughly the same 15-17mpg on the highway.

I'm actually impressed they're able to get the 80 down to 7-8 mpg, it seems like no matter what I do to my 80, I can't get it to go below 10 mpg around town.

Couldn't agree more. My 80 and 100 get roughly the same 15-17mpg on the highway.

I'm actually impressed they're able to get the 80 down to 7-8 mpg, it seems like no matter what I do to my 80, I can't get it to go below 10 mpg around town.
My 80 has always gotten around 10, my 06 tundra gets 14 and I have owned it since new. I have always been on top of maintenance with the 80 but that 10 has been pretty consistent. Granted this is a mix of highway and side roads since I live in the county. Running 35's now with some recent maintenance, tracking now to see if it improves at all. 15-17 would be a welcome improvement but I would be shocked if I ever got above 12 mpg. My 200 gets 18.

My 80 has always gotten around 10, my 06 tundra gets 14 and I have owned it since new. I have always been on top of maintenance with the 80 but that 10 has been pretty consistent. Granted this is a mix of highway and side roads since I live in the county. Running 35's now with some recent maintenance, tracking now to see if it improves at all. 15-17 would be a welcome improvement but I would be shocked if I ever got above 12 mpg. My 200 gets 18.

I should have also mentioned that I'm at sea level with a freshly rebuilt engine and I definitely drive like a granny. :grinpimp:
I see 15-17 at 65mph, but that drops to 14-15mpg the second I go ~70mph, and then to 13-14mpg when it approaches ~75mph.

In the UK 100 Series tend to be cheaper than 80's. I test drove a fairly clean 100 before I bought my 80. It was a nice car, but I just didn't FEEL it

When the 80 turned up I bought it quickly. And in retrospect was not as thorough in my inspection as I should have been. Turned out it's in fairly good order - but I think I wanted it so bad I was prepared to buy it warts and all. Just had to have it

Every time I look at my 80 I get a dopamine rush. I could never look at a 100 like that

Everyone has their own taste and specific needs, but that's my perspective. The fact that you've posted this in the 80 tech section suggests to me it's the 80 you really want too, but that's up to you

Life is short. Buy the one you really want

1621603138262.png
need anyone say more? Even with the LX plastic it just isn't hard to see

I have both right under 200k miles, a 1994 FZJ80 and a 2001 LX470 fully built for overlanding and I can say go with the 100 if you are thinking of your kids. If they are going to be in there for any considerable amount of time it is way more comfortable. I am 17 myself and essentially 6 feet tall, I am completely comfortable in the back seat of the 100. The 80 is a completely different story. The 80 is nice and my personal favorite (daily driver), but the 100 is better in comfort, similar in off road performance, and the extra power from the 2UZ is super nice. Some bolt-ons to the 2UZ can get you a good amount of power for a relatively low amount of money too! Also keep in mind, the 100 gets about 5-6mpg better than the 80 fully built out. I get about 7-8 in my 80 and 13-14 in my 100.
Something is wrong with your 80.

I'm actually getting slightly better mileage in the 80 on 35's than I am in the 100 on 33's (adjusted for actual tire circumference). Average on the last 3 tanks in the 80 was 15.7 MPG while the 100 was 14.8 MPG. FWIW I'm 60 year old fart that doesn't romp on them too hard.

508945B6-234E-47F9-ADB4-F862F183AA87.jpeg

FD989B5D-3237-4977-AF2B-1F52C703FDA3.jpeg

I had an FJ80 with a v8, rolled it. ☹️

Bought a 100 and built it to the max. Drove it to Panama and back. Sold it.

Got an 80 and then another 80.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Oh ya, I don’t think the 1FZ is weak on power. It’s certainly not as powerful as the v8 was but its not much worse than the 2UZ.

With a 7500lbs 100 the 2UZ was nothing to get real excited about. It did the job and did it well but was not very exciting.

I find a 1FZ in tip top shape does fine. I can cruise at 80mph, I can merge just fine, my 1FZ gets up and moves pretty good. It doesn't really slow down that much on grades. Key factors are I am not afraid to drive it hard and my 80 doesn’t weigh 7,000+lbs.

If you have a very healthy 1FZ, you are on 33’s (or even 35’s) and the truck doesn’t weigh 3.5+ tons it does just fine.

I like 100’s but for me they are the cheese and bread sandwich (plain and boring) of all Cruisers. Not to mention they look kind of like a big Subaru.

Cheers

I own both. The 80 is cooler to own, the 100 is better to drive. Either will handle more off-road more than you plan to use it for. A post 2003 100 would likely allow you to ditch the f250.
Forget the fj80, don’t ask about it again:flipoff2:

I own both. The 80 is cooler to own, the 100 is better to drive. Either will handle more off-road more than you plan to use it for. A post 2003 100 would likely allow you to ditch the f250.
Forget the fj80, don’t ask about it again:flipoff2:

Noted haha

Just checked mileage on my new to me LX 450 - 13.7mpg city. I was feeling pretty bad. But it's got 372k miles, original motor (soon to be pulled and rebuilt).

for reference my '19 LC gets only a little better with the lead foot wife driving. But I've gotten up to 22 on the highway.

However, I drive like both the gas and brake pedal are giving me hot foot (in other words I go as light as possible on both).

YMMV;)

My stock late 1FZ has 315’s & 4.88’s, PWR button always on.

I barely break 10mpg but it’s money/bank - city, freeway.

Trails don’t count as you spend so much time in L range or idling/ waiting on others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom