80 vs 100 series LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I doubt many will confuse a 100 with a minivan. Just about every cruiser ever released has had the same thing said about it...but low and behold, they all have become "classic" or 'collectible' over time. I have 2 80's, and will probably add a 100 or 200 to the stable at some point over the next year or two.

Actually, check out the "What did you do with your 100 this weekend" thread. Numerous 100 owners mock the 100 as being a minivan until they get it lifted, add wheel spacers, bumpers. It is very mini van looking, as was the intent of Toyota. The 93 80 was the beginning of the end of the Land Cruiser trucks...

If you're the kind that showers everyday go for the 100. If you think dirt on your shoes means you need new shoes go for the 100. If you haven't camped since 1982 go for the 100. If you can't grow a beard go for the 100. If you own a Tommy Bahama shirt go for the 100. If your arms don't fill out your polo go for the 100. If you prefer tea over beer go for the 100. If you wear gloves whilst driving your Miata go for the 100. If your food can't touch the other food go for the 100. If you get Starbucks giftcards go for the 100. If your golf handicap is less than 25 go for the 100. If you wanted to be a cowboy as a kid...the 80!

Zona
This might just be the best thing I have ever read.

Ahh love when these threads come up, helps me get my posts count higher...trying to catch @Tools R Us. So when I want to feel BA and think I'll be noticed I'll drive the 80...luckily it's my DD. When I'm tired and just want to chill, be super comfy, and drive I'll take the wife's 100. Both great vehicles and have their place, really comparing apples/oranges. Don't see how either could be flamed.

I think I am qualified to answer having owned 3 FJ40's, 2 80 series and 2 100 series.

Both vehicles are very capable off road. I have taken my 100 every where I took my 80 series except the Rubicon trail. Not saying it couldn't go there, but being a bit wider and IFS would make it a bit harder. But every trail I went in Moab and Colorado with my 80 I have done in my 100. It comes down to the driver in off road capability, I have seen an outstanding driver take a stock vehicle places I wouldn't take a built truck

As far as IFS, except for the Rubicon, my daughter Rachel could follow my 80 with a 4" lift on 35's everywhere I went with her 99 IFS 4runner on 33's. But since I taught her to wheel before you could drive on the street, she is a better driver than most men in my club.

My 80 was supercharged and tended to run hot a lot and still couldn't go above 50 towing my Kimberley Kamper going East up Vail pass. Everywhere else was fine so not a huge deal.

My 100 series rubs cool and I can tow the same Kamper going 65-70 on the same pass. I always liked being able to put Burritos in foil in my engine bay in my 80 and having piping hot food for lunch. My 100 series engine bay never gets hot and I get luke warm food.

So, If you plan on doing heavy wheeling with big rocks or a hard trail like the Rubicon, the 80 series is better. For expedition wheeling they are equivalent in capability. Then you have to decide if you want to spend the extra money for the more powerful engine and a few extra comfort features.

If you want to build your truck for 35's or more, then the 80 series is superior.

If you plan on towing a camper on your expedition runs and have a lot of Mtn passes to get there, the 100 series is superior

Both are great vehicles. Remember, both are Landcruisers and share much of the same engineering concepts and quality

Some will put a 100 series engine into an 80 giving it more power. Some have put a solid front axle on a 100 series improving its off road capability and enabling larger lifts. Both are expensive options but allow you to take the unique improved capability of one vehicle and add it to the other

AS far as the previous post. I have shoes with grease and dirt I still wear, I do have a Tommy Bahama shirt, I have never broken 100 on 18 holes of golf. I do fill out the arms of my Polo short. I prefer Beer over Tea, probably why I have never broken 100 on a gold course :D

What you wheel really comes down to personal preference. What works for one doesn't work for others. You should try and drive both and see what you prefer

Last edited:
if you have to ask......

get the 100

The only advantage the 80 has over the 100 (if we're not considering personal style taste) is its off road capability, this is mostly due to modifications, and the factory lockers. These same mods could be done to the 100, and it would be right there with the 80, except for a little wider. Solid axle is a benefit when looking for max articulation, but for most that's not that important.

The 100 is definitely better suited to the way modern Americans travel. 85mph on the interstate all day, front and rear AC running, towing a trailer, no problem. Then do some mild wheeling/exploring with ease.

Last edited:
I think I'll just cut and paste the last half from the last post I dropped on, the topic there was "what would you do different with your 80 series.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444772650.350553.jpg

4. In retrospect, and y'all might hate for this, I'd consider saving a little more money before I bought and just got a 100 series. I'd of put a 2 inch lift on it with 285's, a bumper with winch, diff lock and a fridge. Done. Better fuel mileage, longer range, more power, just as reliable, more comfortable on the highway, able to tow, doesn't need to slow down to 45 mph on the high altitude passes, and is plenty capable for what my needs are.

There is no beating the 80 series on sheer durability and abuse tolerance. It's more of a tractor you can register as a passenger vehicle. But used parts are starting to dry up, some accessories company's aren't making stuff for them anymore.

I did over twenty thousand miles of exploring all over the southwest last year with the family. Zion, Moab, Ouray, monument valley, grand staircase, escalante, valley of the gods, tombstone, Mt. lemon, the North rim of the Grand Canyon and everything in between. Time of our lives. Did some pretty hairy trails. Water crossings. Deep snow. Mud. Slick rock. And more. But if I'm honest with myself, a 100 series with 2" and a locking rear diff would have done all that too.

So, I'm done with modding my 80 series out. Going to keep it as is, save my money, drive it a couple more years, sell it to some mudder who wants the ultimate (way) off-road family rig, and retire in a cushy 100.

100 series hands down.

If you're the kind that showers everyday go for the 100. If you think dirt on your shoes means you need new shoes go for the 100. If you haven't camped since 1982 go for the 100. If you can't grow a beard go for the 100. If you own a Tommy Bahama shirt go for the 100. If your arms don't fill out your polo go for the 100. If you prefer tea over beer go for the 100. If you wear gloves whilst driving your Miata go for the 100. If your food can't touch the other food go for the 100. If you get Starbucks giftcards go for the 100. If your golf handicap is less than 25 go for the 100. If you wanted to be a cowboy as a kid...the 80!

Zona

This is quite possibly the best post I have ever seen on mud, maybe second to the explanation of the TEQ symbol.

Since the OP hasn't checked back in with his intended usage, I will go ahead and say off-roading = 80 series (duh). For mall crawling, DDing, family campster, etc, I really think the 4th generation 4Runner is superior to the 100 mainly because it's does all the same stuff just as well and is a lot cheaper to own. Haters gonna hate.

Where in the hell is John Shotts when you need him? @Tools R Us, can you call him and see if he'll get out of his corvette for a minute?

Check check out that file name...

Shotts.gif

Buy the truck with the most extensive and best detailed history that you can afford.

Where was this information when I bought mine pretty much sight unseen and put 30,000 miles on it?

Last edited:
I was very close to purchasing a LX470, but found a nice LX450 and I am not disappointed at all. I just love the way 80 series look stock or modified. Also, aftermarket support is much larger with the 80 series which can be important if you are looking to really mod it.

I currently have a 93 locked FZJ80 but over the years I've owned six 80's, one FJ60, and one 100 series. As a DD, the 100 was by far the best, off road, the 80 is impossible to beat, cool factor, the FJ60 is the winner. Best of both worlds is 100 for a DD and the 80 as a weekender. If I get to pick one, I would take a stock 80 over a stock 100 but I would take a built 100 over a built 80. That's just me, everyone is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom