80 vs. 100 series brake pads: Picture (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm about to do this upgrade and need some clarification: I am NOT supposed to use the "no squeal" shims with the 100 pads, right? Do you, instead, recommend using the spray-on anti-squeal stuff?
I put in the squeal shims.100 series brake pads.97 dx diesel cruiser wagon

The 100 series pads are easier to put in without the shims but you can try with the shims at first if you want to. I installed them in my last 80 with no shims and had no issues on or off road. I was going to do 100 series pads again in my current 80 but scored some axxis ceramic pads on rock auto for $11.

also they DO NOT need slotted rotors. whoever said that, well, they were wrong.

This.

just use regular rotors and 100 pads, with no squeal shims.......

This.

FWIW, I fitted the 100 pads in my 94, I was looking for better braking/wear. My discs were stock but in good condition. The pads fitted straight in as the backing plate is the same size. A common problem is when the pad (80 or 100) backing plate is punched out of sheet, you get a burr, this makes fitting a little tight, there may also be some minor casting differences in callipers but the pads will go in. If you do have the burr, then you should file/grind it off, the pads will fit straight in. I could not use the shims as it would have caused the pads to bind, this may be the cause of the aforementioned warping some people have experienced. If you need a hammer to get the pads in that may leave them binding, again back to the warping?

Pads should move freely in the calliper, the anti rattle clips should be fitted the right way up to work properly, look at the shape of the clip.

Pedal pressure for the same braking effort will be raised, this is due to the increased surface area. The pads did indeed last longer but by perhaps 3 - 4k miles? The amount of increased braking was not really detectable, again because you have to press the pedal a little harder it is quite subjective.

I eventually gave in and went for a full brake overhaul as I was still searching for better braking. Replaced everything except the ABS module, callipers, discs (drilled and slotted), pads, pipes, and the result? Bite is about the same (after some extensive bleeding), they take longer to heat up but will still fade if you push the car hard enough, too early to comment on wear as it was only done before Christmas last.

regards

Dave

105 series (db 1365 is the bendix code) front pads fit the later (8.92 up) calipers but you can't use any shims and the fit is very tight. Sometimes too tight (!) as I found out when fitting RDA Extreme 105 series front pads last year that gave me smoking and realy badly grabbing brakes on the left side twice on the bed-in drive. I've got slotted RDA rotors and cannot detect any problematic warpage.

I don't know if the caliper operation is compromised at all with the much larger (are they thicker btw as well as physically larger pad area?) pads since the pistons are basically all the way into their bores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom