80 vs. 100 series brake pads: Picture (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just out of curiosity, any sort of retrofitting you can do along these lines for the earlier models (FJ), or are us FJ80 owners SOL like always?

So is the correct answer '98-'07, given that we have a forum that covers "200-series 2008 Land Cruiser/Lexus LX-570" ??
:confused:

Yes and no. It's a 100 series pads, not 200 series. But they were manufactured from 1998 through 2007. 100 series Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX-470.

Just out of curiosity, any sort of retrofitting you can do along these lines for the earlier models (FJ), or are us FJ80 owners SOL like always?

I've heard you can make them fit by grinding them down to fit.

You can always retrofit a FZJ-80 axle to an FJ-80 frame and then the 100 series pads will fit. :flipoff2:

You can always retrofit a FZJ-80 axle to an FJ-80 frame and then the 100 series pads will fit. :flipoff2:

Why didn't you say it was that easy in the first place? I'll do it on my lunch break tomorrow:flipoff2:

Im the proud owner of an under braked 1991, and all that needs to happen is FZJ rotors and calipers (they bolt on) and if your cheap you trim the backing plates to allow the bigger rotors or you can spend the 50 bux a side and buy the proper FZJ ones. Then you can install 100 series pads with the extra benifit of bigger everything up front.

I just went out to my used parts box an found the box of the 100 series pads I used on my '94

Part# 04465-60220

So it is typical to leave the rear brakes as is and just try to improve the braking performance in the front.

100 series calipers won't fit. Only the pads fit, and only in the front.

'98-XXXX

Call Cruiserdan and you will get the right parts. ;)

So it is typical to leave the rear brakes as is and just try to improve the braking performance in the front.

Pretty much. Unless you have an older 80 with drum brakes in the rear, the rear disks can and will overpower the front brakes. This is why I would never recommend to anyone with rear disks to run without the LSPV (or some other proportioning valve). The rear brakes aren't the shortcoming in the braking system, the fronts can be.

In my experience 80's will stop just fine with completely stock setup. The :princess: truck will quite literally throw you through the windshield and mine doesn't have any trouble stopping at all. Compared to my dad's 2001 F150, both 80's stop far better.

I've had to panic stop on an extremely steep downgrade with a 3k lb boat (with no trailer brakes) behind my truck due to an idiot coming up the hill crossing over into my lane (coming around a corner). Wasn't going particularly fast (maybe 30) but when I saw the situation I thought for sure I was going to be in a head on collision and the idiot in the van was probably not going to make it. I was amazed at how quickly and controlled I stopped.

If your braking sucks in your 'Cruiser, there's something wrong with it. Aftermarket pads, sticking calipers, glazed rotors, misadjusted master cylinder, bad brake fluid, air in the lines....there's lot of reasons why it could be sub-par. IMHO if you have your braking system in excellent working order (which is the only state it should be in for you to drive it), there's no need for upgrades.

I will be upgrading my truck to 100 series pads when I do my front axle job, but that's more for the added longevity of the pads than any hope of getting more braking power. I just don't really need it (though I won't complain if I get it). ;)

also they DO NOT need slotted rotors. whoever said that, well, they were wrong.

I concur.

The will fit on JDM models built 8/92 and later.

LandCrusher80

Pretty much. Unless you have an older 80 with drum brakes in the rear, the rear disks can and will overpower the front brakes. This is why I would never recommend to anyone with rear disks to run without the LSPV (or some other proportioning valve). The rear brakes aren't the shortcoming in the braking system, the fronts can be.

In my experience 80's will stop just fine with completely stock setup. The :princess: truck will quite literally throw you through the windshield and mine doesn't have any trouble stopping at all. Compared to my dad's 2001 F150, both 80's stop far better.

I've had to panic stop on an extremely steep downgrade with a 3k lb boat (with no trailer brakes) behind my truck due to an idiot coming up the hill crossing over into my lane (coming around a corner). Wasn't going particularly fast (maybe 30) but when I saw the situation I thought for sure I was going to be in a head on collision and the idiot in the van was probably not going to make it. I was amazed at how quickly and controlled I stopped.

If your braking sucks in your 'Cruiser, there's something wrong with it. Aftermarket pads, sticking calipers, glazed rotors, misadjusted master cylinder, bad brake fluid, air in the lines....there's lot of reasons why it could be sub-par. IMHO if you have your braking system in excellent working order (which is the only state it should be in for you to drive it), there's no need for upgrades.

I will be upgrading my truck to 100 series pads when I do my front axle job, but that's more for the added longevity of the pads than any hope of getting more braking power. I just don't really need it (though I won't complain if I get it). ;)

Lets face it, drum brakes+5000 lbs=s*** stopping power. You have to lower your expectations of what good braking is with this thing. My non-ABS ranger 4x4 stops heaps better than my 80. I've accidentally rolled into a bunch of crosswalks already with my 80 because the ranger was my DD for 2 years before I got my 80. That being said, the ranger has a 1,400 lb advantage with similar size brakes as the 80. You do the math.

Lets face it, drum brakes+5000 lbs=s*** stopping power. You have to lower your expectations of what good braking is with this thing. My non-ABS ranger 4x4 stops heaps better than my 80. I've accidentally rolled into a bunch of crosswalks already with my 80 because the ranger was my DD for 2 years before I got my 80. That being said, the ranger has a 1,400 lb advantage with similar size brakes as the 80. You do the math.

If I had an 80 with drum brakes I'd pull the LSPV and replace with a simple T or a manual proportioning valve (that'd be wide open or nearly so).

The rear drums don't need any stopping power taken away from them.

If it is truly as easy to swap on the FJZ calipers and rotors as was previously suggested....I'd be doing that in a heartbeat.

Just replaced my rear rotors with new OEM.
I put in new park brake shoes and new pads.
I also had the front rotors turned (Thanks for the tip Dan) before I installed the 100 series pads, they are a tight fit. My brakes do squeal some at crawling speed going down hill so I got some anti squeal compond that I am going to try on the inboard pad (between the pad and the piston).
If this the pink goo fails, I will be ordering the squeal kit from Dan.

So I found out today that you need to grind off the ears and the tits before installing 100 series, front disc brake pads in an 80. Took me 30 minutes to find out that no matter what I tried, they won't fit without modification. I'll upload a photo soon.

i have been using 100 series pads from the time i got my 97 cruiser when it's original pads were finished(the ones it came with) and never had a problem with rotors, and i used them on my 91 cruiser too. that's because i changed the front axle to a 97.

Randylu: others I've read about (and myself) who've used them didn't have to do any modification, it is a tight fit however. Were the pistons pushed all the way back?

Having owned a 91 and 93 with the bigger brakes, and having put the fzj brakes on the 91 (and eventually returning it to stock) I would say that there is not a massive improvement to warrant the change of brakes. I put it down to the fact that the diesel 91 which i owned, and the 3fe which is very similar in performance to the diesel, just aren't powerful enough to warrant a better braking system.

As somebody mentioned, if your early 80s brakes seem a bit crap then there is probably something wrong. A full overhaul would be beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom