80 series specific seat swap info wanted; 5th gen prelude (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Threads
Will anyone chime in with details? I think @2fpower did some 4th gen prelude seats in one of the "utes," but I only remember a side view picture, and a note that they were comfortable.
Has anyone else installed Prelude seats?
The rails are 16-3/4" center to center , but more like 17-1/4" total width. They can be unbolted from the rest of the seat assembly. If one does that however, you are left with a strange "L" of metal and slider in one piece.
Conceivably, I could remove the slider sections, weld some 1.5x1.5 tube onto the seat side supports, then weld the rest of the Honda assembly back on, but I don't know if this would be appropriate for a seat.
Here's a picture of the seat itself. I didn't archive any of the underside or sliders, but can add some as I know that would help with any brainstorming.
Also, a shout out of thanks to @LINUS for texting with me this evening. I appreciate it.
We ended our conversation with what a can of worms 80 series seats can be.

IMG_4175.JPG

What do you need to know? I love these seats. Have a set going in my 73 series and yes, the Ute has a set. I did add seat heaters just this last year.

For the front, I cut off the factory mount and welded in a new tab that bolted right up and the slider basically sits on the front rail. Now I am 6'2" and wanted the seat as low as possible, so took advantage of this.

For the rear, I built up some 2x4's and figured out what angle I liked it at, then built a mount for it. I found it best to get the car in a position that it is level front to back and side to side and use a level to make these mounts.

I should have some pics of the ute install... found them on post 282 of the thread.
1622562652570.png
1622562642513.png

@2fpower Thank you! this is what I was looking for. I feel like a dope if these pics are sitting right there in your thread as I don't remember them. Oh well. Did you "massage" the transmission/driveline tunnel? I will have to kill my factory seats, or source some rails though. hmmm? I think a pair of these manual Prelude seats weighs less than one oem leather power cruiser seat.

I am sure that a little beating was needed!

As far as the rear mounts, you can just as easily make a bracket out of 1/4 plate, I was just trying something new there and I kept throwing away these seats, so why not???

Fair point. I need to keep my drivers intact just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom