80 Series Shock Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, new to the forum :)

I bought an 80 a couple weeks ago and haven't done much to it yet. Eventually I want to put in a Dobinsons lift, but I noticed the front right shock is already leaking.

I'm wanting to get the tires muddy in the next couple of weeks, nothing crazy, but I'm thinking I should just spend $100-$200 now to replace the front shocks instead of holding out for the lift.

Seems like every shop is pushing for Monroe, but what are some good OEM-spec shocks I should look into? Should I replace all 4 instead of just the front? Is there anything else in the suspension I should pay attention to or will I get away with just replacing the shocks?

Thanks!

Buy the factory Tokico shocks from Toyota. They will be less money than the aftermarket shocks and they are made for the truck.

I have the factory shocks on my rig. I put the dobinsons on and could leave the same shocks.

Only experience with OEM shocks is a friends ‘94 but what I CAN add to this discussion is my truck is on KYB shocks with 30mm front spacers, and I would say to avoid KYB. They were installed by the previous owner and I know thru Mud forums that they wanted an OEM-like replacement. Nice cushy on road ride but the second I’m off-road they’re pretty unforgiving on bumps and rebounds, and the only added interior/exterior weight on my truck is rock sliders.

Hey guys, new to the forum :)

I bought an 80 a couple weeks ago and haven't done much to it yet. Eventually I want to put in a Dobinsons lift, but I noticed the front right shock is already leaking.

I'm wanting to get the tires muddy in the next couple of weeks, nothing crazy, but I'm thinking I should just spend $100-$200 now to replace the front shocks instead of holding out for the lift.

Seems like every shop is pushing for Monroe, but what are some good OEM-spec shocks I should look into? Should I replace all 4 instead of just the front? Is there anything else in the suspension I should pay attention to or will I get away with just replacing the shocks?

Thanks!

Avoid any shop that is pushing for Monroe.

It is very easy to do yourself - just get the Toyota shocks. They are priced about the same as Monroes. Another option would be Bilsteins.

Another vote for stock shocks (tokico)

I just replaced my original oem shocks with new oem Toyota ones from McGeorge Toyota. $100 shipped for both. I didn't realize how bad the original ones where until I put the new ones on. Huge difference as the old ones had no charge left in them. I test drove on the roughest dirt road around here and they did great. Will do the same for the rears. Go with the OEM Toyota shocks.

Can anyone verify that the Tokico factory shocks come with shock bushings?

I have not ordered them but the part number for the shocks shows an assembly that includes the cushions.

They come with the bushings and nuts but not the retainers. Either reuse your old retainers or be prepared to pay about the same you did for the shocks to obtain a set of new OEM ones.

I am looking for some info on OEM Toyota front and rear shocks for my 94 with stock suspension and stock alloy wheels.
Various websites (Olathe, McGeorge) show lots of discontinued part numbers and confusing info.
Called a rep at one of these places and was told the current replacement part numbers are Front 48511-69435 and Rear at 48531-69535.
When I punch these numbers in it shows Front number "not correct for 1994" and redirects me to Front Shock part # 48531-69417.
Seems like the 1994 only uses the latter number( 68417) but number ending in 69435 is correct for 93-95-96-97, just skipping 1994 ???
Can this be correct?
Any direction from the esteemed members will be appreciated.
I'd like to stick to all OEM Toyota parts but may just order the Tokico Shocks from PartsSouq and be done with it.
Tokico numbers are simple E4096 Front and E4097 Rear.
I welcome all advise and feedback.
Thanks all
-Lawrence

I am looking for some info on OEM Toyota front and rear shocks for my 94 with stock suspension and stock alloy wheels.
Various websites (Olathe, McGeorge) show lots of discontinued part numbers and confusing info.
Called a rep at one of these places and was told the current replacement part numbers are Front 48511-69435 and Rear at 48531-69535.
When I punch these numbers in it shows Front number "not correct for 1994" and redirects me to Front Shock part # 48531-69417.
Seems like the 1994 only uses the latter number( 68417) but number ending in 69435 is correct for 93-95-96-97, just skipping 1994 ???
Can this be correct?
Any direction from the esteemed members will be appreciated.
I'd like to stick to all OEM Toyota parts but may just order the Tokico Shocks from PartsSouq and be done with it.
Tokico numbers are simple E4096 Front and E4097 Rear.
I welcome all advise and feedback.
Thanks all
-Lawrence

Use the following link to Partsouq.

I have it set to my 1996 LC.

You can see that it shows the selection for the 1992-1994 and then 1995-1997.

The newer version will fit just fine with your 94. All of the mounts are the same. There are some minor differences in valving that you'll never notice.

@cruiserdan can verify this is correct information. I believe the part number is superseded.

Yes I was on that page. When you click to order it shows "Unavailable" with a list of alternate (non OEM's)
Rears also unavailable on PartSouq.
I was told Tokico is the manufacturer of Toyota branded shocks, so may opt for those.
They look identical in the photos on the PartSouq site.
Any one know of a US vendor with correct 1994 OEM shocks?
Not sure if they are unavailable or discontinued
Thanks

Yes I was on that page. When you click to order it shows "Unavailable" with a list of alternate (non OEM's)
Rears also unavailable on PartSouq.
I was told Tokico is the manufacturer of Toyota branded shocks, so may opt for those.
They look identical in the photos on the PartSouq site.
Any one know of a US vendor with correct 1994 OEM shocks?
Not sure if they are unavailable or discontinued
Thanks
They are a substitution.

Partsouq has 22 pieces of the front ones in stock. See below. $60.08 each plus freight. Use the same part number at McGeorge to see what they offer.

Yes, Tokico is the OEM. You can buy the Toyota or the Tokico on that page.

1664831767934.png

You put stock shocks on with an OME lift? Was reading this to see consensus. Need shocks but have the 2.5 inch lift. The Tokico’s are readily available?
Tom

You put stock shocks on with an OME lift? Was reading this to see consensus. Need shocks but have the 2.5 inch lift. The Tokico’s are readily available?
Tom
I think he used the stock height replacement springs from OME. Extra length shocks not needed with these.

Tom
There is 1/2" of total travel difference between the Tokico shocks and the OME shocks that come with the 2-1/2" kit. The Tokico is slightly shorter in length which means you won't get as much droop when at full extension.

Front Assy: 48511-69435

Rear Assy: 48531-69535

Interesting, the discount price in the US appears to be slightly less than from Partsouq??

Sorry for the confusion. you are lifted, I removed a lift to accommodate the the wifes need for a lower vehicle.(stock) postal worker,
OME refresh springs with Tokico shocks . the oem shocks were more cost affective. and are good stuff. nothing against OME i had a budget to contend with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom