80 series front door speakers finally figured out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after searching this forum and the Web and talking with Crutchfield. I was at a stand still on the front door speakers while still keeping the factory grills. So called up my buddy at wired for sound here in Glendale az. And it turned out really well and still looks oe. 300$ parts and install just throwing it there if you don't want to hack up your door panels will post pics later

What I found with trying to mount 6.5" speakers behind the panels was that the panels pressed on the speaker cones, limiting their travel. That's what burned out the PO's speakers.

Are you sure your new speakers are getting full excursion?

ForumRunner_20130508_152647.jpg

ForumRunner_20130508_152708.jpg

6.5s were to deep we ended up going with a 5in image dynamics coax. Yes full range and sound awesome even with factory deck.

ForumRunner_20130508_152647.jpg

ForumRunner_20130508_152708.jpg

Okay, I see what you did now, looks like a good option.
Thanks for the pics.

Have you you got a similar solution for the rear doors?

The rears were easy modified the factory mounts used 4in image dynamics cut the ears off and glued them into the factory "cups" you don't have to remove the door panel to access the rears.

Yes, I've seen that mod for the rears. I don't have the factory speakers though to modify, only some POS 4"s held in by 2 screws!
I'd just assume get rid of them and cover the holes with the factory grilles.

Anyone have an extra set (brown)?

$300?! I used pioneer TSG1644R's in the front. No spacer (other than a little weather stripping). Factory grilles fit fine. They only cost like $30 and they sound way better than the factory speakers.

Yes, I've seen that mod for the rears. I don't have the factory speakers though to modify, only some POS 4"s held in by 2 screws!
I'd just assume get rid of them and cover the holes with the factory grilles.

Anyone have an extra set (brown)?

Ditto, I jacked a cover up doing mine. Brown as well.

You don't have to use image dynamics speakers.... If you want to keep the cost down. That's just what I used

I made these panels in an afternoon...4 panels for the front and rear doors. Sorry for the bad picture but you get the idea.

MDF...routed, sealed and covered in black vinyl. Secured via screws through the back of the panels.

Umm....well...;) I am a guitar amp builder and have a wood shop so I guess I do have a little insider experience and I do seal the wood so technically it is a 24 hour period. But, it all can be done pretty quickly with a few basic tools.

Looks pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of the door storage compartments anyway. They pretty much just collect dirt.

X2 on the Pioneer speakers - they have a shallow series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom