80-series Fender Flares - Not Many Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was sideswiped in my 80 and I'm in need of two fender flares, passenger side both front and back. Has anyone ever used the ABS ones for sale on ebay? ( 6pcs Fender Flares Wheel Arches Wide body For Toyota Land Cruiser 80 1991-1997 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/362705651951?hash=item5472f108ef%3Ag%3ACqYAAOSw9Q9fCeAw&fits=Year%3A1994%7CModel%3ALand+Cruiser%7CMake%3AToyota)
I wouldn't mind these if I could paint them and I knew they fit. My '94 80 is white and I'd like to keep the fenders white also.
Any other options out there that aren't pocketed? I haven't been able to scrounge any up on the interwebs.

IMG_9906.jpg

That really sucks.

I'd be looking for used from a '94 or close to it. My rough memory is that there are three US 80 series flare versions, basically early/middle/late in terms of years delivered. Yours are the middle and I think are wider than the earlier ones and fiberglass instead of plastic (which the older ones are). The mounting points vary for each version along with the profile from early to later models if I'm not mistaken.

Since those are fiberglass they are likely repairable depending on how much effort you want to put in, and how damaged they are. Sourcing used replacements in same color would be best / easiest option if you can find them though. Enough people remove these that I assume you can find some if you look long enough in junkyards, from mud members that do part outs and by watching the classifieds and putting out a want ad.

Good luck...

Has anyone ever used the ABS ones for sale on ebay?

It would be nice if they had a photo of the back side. You can see the holes for fasteners from the front, but does the back side accept the plastic mounting pins, or do they expect you to use double sided tape to mount them? Nothing particularly wrong with the latter, but some may not like it.

Since those are fiberglass they are likely repairable depending on how much effort you want to put in, and how damaged they are.

This is very much true. If it were me, I'd pull the flares off and see how damaged they actually are. If it's not cracked, you could just shoot it with epoxy primer, put some body filler on there and smooth out out, then seal it with epoxy primer and repaint. The sealing step is critical if there are *any* exposed fibers.

Unless those flares are crushed and flopping around, I would say they could be easily repaired. At least as easy as scuffing, painting, and mounting the aftermarket ones. Maybe a little messier of a job, though.

This is very much true. If it were me, I'd pull the flares off and see how damaged they actually are. If it's not cracked, you could just shoot it with epoxy primer, put some body filler on there and smooth out out, then seal it with epoxy primer and repaint. The sealing step is critical if there are *any* exposed fibers.

Unless those flares are crushed and flopping around, I would say they could be easily repaired. At least as easy as scuffing, painting, and mounting the aftermarket ones. Maybe a little messier of a job, though.
Probably right on the repair for the rear one. It has two small vertical cracks in it. Fibers are showing.
The front one actually has a piece broken off right near the front of it. Can't repair that one, unfortunately.

Can't repair that one, unfortunately.
I mean, you *can*, but I understand why you wouldn't want to spend the time. That's the neat thing about composites: you can create a mechanical bond to whatever is existing and build whatever shape you want. Then slop on body filler and finalize it. But yeah, it would be time consuming and extremely messy.

Is insurance paying out, or was this hit and run and/or uninsured?

That's the neat thing about composites: you can create a mechanical bond to whatever is existing and build whatever shape you want. Then slop on body filler and finalize it.
Being unable to fix it was an assumption. I certainly don't know how to do what you're describing. I'm guessing a body shop might be able to?

Is insurance paying out, or was this hit and run and/or uninsured?
Insurance is paying out on it, but I couldn't find a shop that would take it unless I brought them the parts.
Main things are the fender flares, front r-side quarter panel is dented, and r-side bumper endcap is damaged.

@slow95z had some stockers last time I checked.
KutSnake flares are better then ebay flares.

Depending on how dented that front panel is, you may want to consider getting a replacement along with the flares from the donor if you find one. Replacing these parts is easy, if you have them and the paint matches. Finding them with matching paint or having them painted will be the larger part of the job.

Beyond the mud folks like slow95z (who I'd def. try first) I've also had luck with this site (there are others which are similar):

You can search for something easy like a "hood" then look at the pictures to get a sense of what each yard has. Look at the colors (for white) and pictures (for flares/etc.) and you can likely find a few examples on the site. I see a few in that exact search for a '94. Of course, what the yard actually has will vary from the pics so you have to call and go from there and you'll likely be shipping unless you get lucky.

I'm guessing a body shop might be able to?
I doubt you could find anyone willing to spend the time doing it. It's the sort of thing a hobbyist might undertake, or a custom shop doing work on an extremely rare, long out of production vehicle.

It sounds like your best bet is to buy some used flares off one of the users parting out rigs on this site. Then just drop the whole shebang off with the body shop and let them worry about the rest.

I have a few good flares but I don't think any are for the 93/4 trucks

Depends what you want and how much you want to spend. You can go for factory flares. You can go for aftermarket 'like factory' TJM (Aussie made) fibreglass flares. You can for ugly (and poor fitting) 'Kut Snake' aftermarket flares. You can for for rubberised 'flexy flares'. or have none at all. Just remember that once you fit flares, the body panels and rear doors will rust behind where the flares are mounted like has happened on my 80 which has TJM fibreglass flares fitted long before I got the vehicle and have started falling off as rivets, etc. failed to reveal nasty rust.

Bruh...they are still attached. What do you need?
A little buffin'.
A little touch up.
Are they cracked? Fiberglass filler, quick respray, and Bob's your uncle.
They are NLA as you know. Otherwise I was able to replace a couple of mine (in champagne) thru the classifieds here.
If you are considering taking them off anyway, then just do that.
But at the moment replacing will be cheaper.

Have any for a 91?
Should have a full set of white unless I take them off the truck and find them to be busted up. comply set is there and looks good but still on the truck.

Should have a full set of white unless I take them off the truck and find them to be busted up. comply set is there and looks good but still on the truck.
Heck yeah! I'm in Minnesota willing to ship?

Probably right on the repair for the rear one. It has two small vertical cracks in it. Fibers are showing.
The front one actually has a piece broken off right near the front of it. Can't repair that one, unfortunately.
I have a full set of fiberglass flares. Mean Green

These you see in the pic if you look close are old school paper scissors cut out by hand & set on top of a printed copy.
They are a bit larger than reality. I am very close to pulling the trigger on these early Bronco Gorilla flares. The are only $150 a set.
Got these measurements from Wild Horses they are plenty big & can be formed to follow the 40 or 80 series curvature or go Bronco style.
The Bronco front will work in reverse for the rear. In Email they said they stick out 3" & the flare is 3.5" tall.
20220802_022305.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom