80 Series Exhaust Quick Recap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$400. I just about hit the floor, but it is what it is. He got me in quick, and took the time to listen how I wanted it.

I redid my exhaust a couple days ago and think I might've used the wrong gaskets on the y pipe. Do you remember or have a link to the ones you had installed?

Trust me...you'll want the resonator.

I cut the resonators off both of my 80s with no change to sound. One of them is stock minus the resonator and quiet (there is a little whistle at heavy throttle, but that doesn't bother me a bit).

My other 80 is basically a straight piped POS that I keep patching the exhaust on. I'm going to put a full exhaust on it here one of these days, but based on my other 80 I will go without the resonator. Just a nice big muffler.

Sounds great.

FWIW I just did this identical exhaust, with two exceptions. First, the studs on the manifold were rusted so badly that we opted to cut the Y pipes and sleeve the new Magnaflow over them, and second my O2 sensors were toast (add $200). The bad part we found on the Mag Y pipe is that it places the sensor bung right against the floor. Ended up welding that one shut and relocating a new hole.

Very tight fit up over the frame but now no more mashing the pipe. The Mag muffler is fairly huge, and really made for a tight fit up in the cavity. The Resonator had 3" out pipe. I worried that it would all be loud/drony, but was actually really quiet. More so than what we took off. Have not see the CEL come back on as yet, and hoping the old worn sensor wires were part of that.

This is certainly NOT a cheap exhaust. High temp paint next to improve weld longevity from rust.

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to thank you for putting it up here.
The parts list gave me a perfect starting point to get this pig smog legal and titled in the Democratic Republic of California.

The previous owner pulled the rear cat out and had a straight pipe put in. I went to go smog it and it failed tech under the new laws because it is missing one of the two CATs.

If anyone else needs the info, here is the full kit i just bought:
MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers 10416 - $71.67
Vibrant Performance Ultra-Quiet Resonators 1141 - $94.95
(2) Walker Exhaust 81922 - $140.99 each
Total Charges $448.60
All parts were available from summitracing.com with free shipping.

The local muffler shop said that can probably get it knocked out in a couple hours at $95 an hour. Even if that doubles, ill have a complete system for under $900

Thanks again for the great info @VFRMAN

Other than sound is there any benefit?

I had to replace the cat to pass smog inspection. I’ve been wanting to open the exhaust and get a little more sound anyway. So this was the push to do the whole thing. I’d be surprised if there was noticeable HP gain though.

I think I'm up to 550 hp now with the new exhaust and fresh blinker fluid. The downside though is my gas mileage dropped to 32 mpg so I guess I'll have to work on improving that next. :)

With my cats having recently been stolen, I think I’ll be doing with something similar to this setup. How have you all liked the results long term?

With my cats having recently been stolen, I think I’ll be doing with something similar to this setup. How have you all liked the results long term?
Magnaflow cats are fine but if you do MagnaFlow 10416 Exhaust Muffler + Vibrant 1141 2.5" Ultra Quiet Resonator it's pretty loud imo. I personally wouldn't do it again.

Magnaflow cats are fine but if you do MagnaFlow 10416 Exhaust Muffler + Vibrant 1141 2.5" Ultra Quiet Resonator it's pretty loud imo. I personally wouldn't do it again.
It is a bit loud. I have the rear of my cruiser well insulated and it is still a tad bit noisy. The flip side is that it changed the sound from being a postal service jeep to a real truck. So I kinda like that.

If you like the idea of it sounding like it’s got some stones, I’d say send it.
If you like the muted stock sound, don’t do it.

Also, make sure the exhaust shop mounts it correctly. The cheap shop I went to cut the factory brackets too high and then tried to tack weld to the heat shield. Left me with a dangling exhaust after a couple weeks.

Good to know, thanks guys. I'd like to have something akin to the TRD pro exhaust offerings. Stock sounding unless you really get on it. I'll have to see if the muffler shop has any recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom