Finally Installed New Exhaust System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VFRMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had my truck for 12 years now and have probably needed a new muffler for about 8 of those years. I don't remember how many times it's actually broken and fallen off, only to be welded up again and tucked back in place.

Anyway, after looking at every exhaust thread on MUD I sourced the parts I wanted, then brought them to my local exhaust guy to have installed. He did everything else. All custom bends to keep everything tucked up high and over the frame. I literally printed off pics of the systems I copied from MUD and brought them with me for him to use as a guide when I dropped off the truck. So...thanks to everyone I stole the info from, you know who you are, (but I'll try to credit you when I edit this post).

I think it turned out great and the sound is not much different than stock. I didn't want loud and I couldn't care less how "cool" my forklift motor sounds going through an underpass at redline in neutral.

The end result is no whistling, droning, howling, (whatever) at any speed that I could tell. While it's idling it actually does have a nice little deeper rumble to it, but I wouldn't say it's even noticable if I didn't know I had just done it.

Parts (All 2.5"):
Magnaflow 23120 Y Pipe w/1st cat. O2 sensor bung comes in Y pipe in stock location in front of cat, so it plugs right in.

Magnaflow 13646 Muffler (Stainless-6" Round-27" body -33" total length, both ends offset)

Vibrant 1141 Resonator
Polished Stainless and way too pretty to be on my truck, but it works, and they didn't have an ugly non-polished version.

2 Toyota OEM Exhaust gaskets. The 23120 came with gaskets, but research on MUD made it sound like OEM's seal better so I bought both. Comparing the 2 side by side, the OEM did have a tighter fit around the head pipe FWTW.

Exhaust guy installed the 2nd O2 sensor bung in the new pipe he bent, just before muffler in the stock location so 2nd O2 sensor plugged right in as well.

None of the new parts come with hangers so he just tied everything in himself with new hangers.

I'm probably forgetting some vital info, but I tried to make this a good resource for anyone that's been deciding what route to take with a new exhaust. "Keep reviving the old parts to keep going, or finally make the leap to a whole new system". Then with me, that brought up: "What parts do I need?" "Where will they fit to run over the frame?"
"Wait, whistling/droning? What's that? Will this thing sound like a Honda Civic with a coffee can welded to the back bumper?"
"s***, maybe I should just keep welding on what I have?"
"No, that over the frame looks cool.......
"What parts do I need again?.......etc....etc....etc.?

Hope this helps. Just let me know if you have any questions. I told my exhaust guy he should really think about making up jigs for all of the pipe bends he did and he could sell a complete bolt on system for the 80. After the hours I spent looking thru exhaust threads, I would've loved to find something like that. Kind of like an EMS, but without all the EMS BS.

I pulled my fishouse/camper a couple hundred miles this weekend but I couldn't say it got me 20 mpg, or a 120 mph top speed now, but it definitely didn't leak, and it definitely didnt sound like a Civic, so I'm winning in my book. Cheers!
20160630_013448.jpg
20160630_092558.jpg
20160701_145508.jpg
20160701_145502.jpg
20160701_145456.jpg
20160630_013448.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Hell, that's a little embarrassing. Apparently I drunk posted that I put a new system on some time this weekend while we were camping at a BMX race. Wow. Thats gotta be a first. I'll have to combine these two threads or delete the less coherent of the two.

What type stainless (or aluminized steel) are the pipes, what was the final cost, parts and labor?

Nice! I just did the same thing on my '94, coupled with a PAIR removal. However, I did not go with the resonator and have a bowel shaking low rpm drone. I think need to add that resonator. Any pics of where you put the resonator?

What type stainless (or aluminized steel) are the pipes, what was the final cost, parts and labor?
Good question, and one I totally forgot to ask. Especially since every other part I bought, I made sure wasn't just aluminized steel.

Magnaflow 23120 Y pipe $350 shipped with Prime.

Magnaflow 13646 muffler $96 shipped with Prime.

Vibrant 1142 Resonator $90 shipped with Prime.

Qty. 3 (1 extra) Toyota OEM gaskets 90080-43036, $30 shipped with Prime.

Labor/welding/bending/hangers/O2 bung/misc: A bunch.
($400.)

20160701_165642.jpg

trying to tidy up these 2 different posts on my exhaust

20160701_165623.jpg

20160701_145431.jpg

20160701_165658.jpg

20160701_145449.jpg

VFRMAN, thanks for the legwork. I was troubleshooting a CEL (P0125) and noticed an exhaust leak at the cat'. I decided to replace the whole rusted-out system with stainless (MA heavily salts the roads in winter) and found your thread. Purchased the y-pipe with cat' and muffler but not the resonator that you recommended. Had them installed locally (Bobby C's Speed Connection Norfolk, MA) with custom tubing (400 series stainless I believe). It was fun to sound more like a 'rig without the resonator, but I went back and had them put the Vibrant 1141 in and that made a huge difference. I'm very happy with the results. Although I should have printed out the images from your post showing the "over the frame" routing because I lost a little ground clearance with the install routing below the frame. Labor cost $500 + $70 when I returned for the resonator install. Replaced the O2 sensors despite resistance measurements in-spec' and now P0125 is gone, too.

Great Post! Thank you sir and will be referenced as I head out to replace my system. Like you I have been reading though copious exhaust threads.

Awesome info - thanks much for researching and posting. Will be doing this to mine in the coming months.

Glad to help. God knows I've stolen enough info from MUD over the past 11 years or so.

I haven't got back to sourcing a new gasket for the 23120 yet. The first couple days the nuts wiggled loose and the gasket fell out. Apparently not a simple thing to find(?), then I got sidetracked again as usual and now just drive around with another exhaust leak. Though this one sounds a little nicer. :) My exhaust guy will take care of it if I ever make it back there.

If anyone has a use for the old resonator, I kept it when I threw the rest of the old system. Still looks perfectly intact. Just thought I'd do the whole thing since I had already bought the Vibrant before starting the instal..

Thanks for this thread. Just ordered all these parts this AM. They have gone down in price some since you posted.

Please tell more about burning carpet.

No carpet burning yet, but winter is coming so the extra heat source may not be a bad thing when it's 20 below.

Please tell more about burning carpet.

93-94 trucks had exhaust over frame with a huge heat shield over that. Newer rigs don't have the shield with exhaust under frame. After I moved mine to "over frame", I fashioned a handmade shield to go in the same location. I also doubled up on the 3 other heat shields on the firewall and frame. Ran Pikes Peak @ 3000-4000 rpm all the way up in low range last month. Wifey had no complaints about hot feet. She even mentioned how she was surprised at how nice and cool the floor was.

OK, doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem. I can find plenty of scrap cookie sheets to fashion heat shields with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom