.. 80 Series Diesels What I've Learned thus far .. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Automatics are superior off-road for the same reasons trucks and heavy equipment use them. Power is converted to torque at low speeds and heavy loads.

The timing belt is a serious failure point. When it goes it is catastrophic. Every valve will bend and you will need new heads, possibly a piston or 2, hopefully that's it.

For driveability the 1HD-T is a dog on the highway if you have an armoured up trail rig. Don't even think about passing a tractor-trailer without a five-mile window. RHD is a PITA and the diesel just makes it more so. Great for offf-roading. For Expeditions not so much.

Most parts need to come from Australia so expect to pay those crazy shipping costs for everything.

My experience anyway. FWIW
I wonder if there is an after market Chain or Belted Chain kit that can be used to replace the belt system ? .. Who wants to replace a Belt every 100km ? .. It might be understandable if the water pump was not so good because Toyota typically replaced both chain and water pump at the same time in my other Toyota vehicles .. This was true for my 1981 Celica strait 6 and my wife's Late model Camary belted chain v4 ..

I wonder if there is an after market Chain or Belted Chain kit that can be used to replace the belt system ? .. Who wants to replace a Belt every 100km ? .. It might be understandable if the water pump was not so good because Toyota typically replaced both chain and water pump at the same time in my other Toyota vehicles .. This was true for my 1981 Celica strait 6 and my wife's Late model Camary belted chain v4 ..

Is a 1 hour job, and a few hundred dollars once every 5-10 years depending on how quickly you rack up the miles.

I don’t get the hate towards the timing belt. It’s such a simple job to change. I bet there would be almost zero demand for any kind of chain replacement.
Agreed, It's really not that hard, took me about 4 hours armed with an FSM and it was about the first mechanical work I'd ever done. (3 of those were chasing the tension spring across the shop repeatedly)

Solving a problem that doesn't exist as usual...

Solving a problem that doesn't exist as usual...
Ignorance is bliss .. From the picture of your vehicle, increasing suspension travel was also a problem that didn't exist as usual but we can all see you addressed that issue .. You also increased from stock tire size which also was a problem that didn't exist either ..

Increasing oil life and decreasing engine wear using a bypass oil system, AGAIN ISN'T A PROBLEM THAT EXISTS, so you would rather stick your head in the sand and change you oil every 3km instead of every 14km .. Oh, lest I forget to mention, making diesel super clean and free form air and water .. Yes this issue doesn't exist but then, how can you explain the multi-million dollar company FASS which sells their products world wide .. I suppose FASS is a lie and only liars claim problems exist ..

Last edited:
I don’t get the hate towards the timing belt. It’s such a simple job to change. I bet there would be almost zero demand for any kind of chain replacement.

Having your timing belt fail in an interference engine can cause major damage to components. Having that gear driven eliminates that risk.

The comment about water to air Intercoolers being unnecessary obviously didn’t take into consideration the massively decreased length of charged air intake pipe, and more specifically how that affects boost lag. It seems a need to provide commentary although not from a real world experience or informed source.

One of the biggest gains for me with the 6BT is idling down creek beds or trails, at idle it uses so much less, especially compared to carb’d mini trucks, it’s unreal.

Having the Manual trans actually does give me better control or consistency with speeds idling over obstacles as compared to the auto that was in it. But I’d rather have an auto for steep climbs

Sure...so just change it at the recommended interval. They aren’t failing prematurely.

Sure, as long as there isn’t anything out of alignment or any debris in there. It’s catastrophic damage if it goes or goes early.

Having your timing belt fail in an interference engine can cause major damage to components. Having that gear driven eliminates that risk.

The comment about water to air Intercoolers being unnecessary obviously didn’t take into consideration the massively decreased length of charged air intake pipe, and more specifically how that affects boost lag. It seems a need to provide commentary although not from a real world experience or informed source.

One of the biggest gains for me with the 6BT is idling down creek beds or trails, at idle it uses so much less, especially compared to carb’d mini trucks, it’s unreal.

Having the Manual trans actually does give me better control or consistency with speeds idling over obstacles as compared to the auto that was in it. But I’d rather have an auto for steep climbs
These engines aren't little 2l 4 pots that rev to the moon...a fast spooling turbo and a diesel that's not throttled by air, would be very little time off idle with the right turbo that the intercooler pipes aren't in positive pressure. Yes I've had experience with both top and front mounted air to air coolers and mucked around with water to air on 1HD engines. Front mount air to air every day of the week, the 'lag' is negligible.

Yes it is, but it's not a hard thing to change and they don't fail for no reason or prematurely. The cover takes a minute to pull off, easy inspection when you do your oil changes if you're worried
Sure, as long as there isn’t anything out of alignment or any debris in there. It’s catastrophic damage if it goes or goes early.

Oh, maybe on an HDT or variant, yours may be fine, others are many hours to replace, and then the risk of getting them out a tooth or something.

And boost lag may be insignificant in yours, something a bit more underpowered with a turbo that could have been sized a bit smaller the difference can be more prominent. Might be fine with your rig though.

We did the timing belt on our 2007 V8 4runner not too long ago. I just kind of disliked waiting to the specific time when your supposed to replace it and not doing it early. It’s like your driving something unreliable

Sure...so just change it at the recommended interval. They aren’t failing prematurely.
Don't all the new diesel engine Landcruisers all uses belted chains ? .. Toyota land cruiser uses a timing chain and all models after 2007

Bull Feathers ! ..
1611463277738.png

I should just ignore you at this point.

That said, those are the engine designations for Land Cruiser petrol engines for the US market. :lol:
Well then you should have posted the evidence in the first place ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom