.. 80 Series Diesels What I've Learned thus far .. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well then you should have posted the evidence in the first place ..
The US isn't the only place the land cruiser and it's derivatives are sold...

Wow. I read this the day it was posted and didn’t even bother responding, since there was so much misinformed nonsense in the original post. I try not to be ‘that guy’ that is a jackass to noobs. Guess he’s not a noob, and continues to argue his point even when proven wrong? Cool, cool. I’ll just keep watching. :rolleyes:

Wow. I read this the day it was posted and didn’t even bother responding, since there was so much misinformed nonsense in the original post. I try not to be ‘that guy’ that is a jackass to noobs. Guess he’s not a noob, and continues to argue his point even when proven wrong? Cool, cool. I’ll just keep watching. :rolleyes:
Wow .. From the peanut gallery a slap an run comment without and salient points as to misinformation .. Demonstrate where I was proven wrong .. On that you'll just do another slap and run without anything clearly revealed .. I get this constant resistance to me modifying my vehicle because people say "It doesn't work or its just not needed" .. Let's take something I wrote about bypass oil filtration .. I was told by many "Its not needed" .. Link to Bypass Oil Filtration .. Gale Banks endorses the Amsoil Bypass Filters .. For those who don't know Gale "He is a Legend in racing both Petrol and Diesel engines .. So prey tell can anyone of you tell me why a bypass oil filtration system isn't viable ? .. Or do I deserve another slap from the peanut gallery ..

You’re an engineer? You spelled ‘expertise’ wrong in your first sentence of your first post. You misspelled Camry. Your wife’s ‘camary’ doesn’t have a ‘v4.’ It’s been pointed out you’re wrong about timing chain usage as a hard rule nowadays, yet you persist for some reason.

You state your opinions on things as if they’re a fact. You obviously don’t understand Diesel engines. Increasing boost will lower temps until you add too much fuel for the extra boost (air) to compensate for. Air to water is always more inefficient than air to air. A turbo system is a closed loop, it doesn’t ‘dump’ pressure out because of the IC. That’s just a couple small points. I could pick a whole slew out. But I’ve made my point. Carry on.

I never said a single thing about bypass filters. I don’t need anyone to tell me their benefits. ‘Pray’ not prey. You really should learn about periods and spelling before bashing people. Even if you’re right, that will still be what people remember.

I never said a single thing about bypass filters. I don’t need anyone to tell me their benefits. ‘Pray’ not prey. You really should learn about periods and spelling before bashing people. Even if you’re right, that will still be what people remember.
Another denial and a slap and run .. gREAT .. I just given you another reason to slap and run .. Please to take Umbridge with my use of capitalization .. Strain at a gnat and swallow a camel ..

Honest to god... where did I ever mention bypass filtration? What’s your fixation on that? You have some weird Oedipus thing with Gale Banks?

*Umbrage. If English is a second language, I applaud your knowledge of it. If it isn’t... well, I’ve made my thoughts clear.

Did you see the other post? That was just a few points that you’re off on. I could keep going if you want? This is just lulling me to sleep, but I’m sure I could rouse myself a bit.

Honest to god... where did I ever mention bypass filtration? What’s your fixation on that? You have some weird Oedipus thing with Gale Banks?

*Umbrage. If English is a second language, I applaud your knowledge of it. If it isn’t... well, I’ve made my thoughts clear.

Did you see the other post? That was just a few points that you’re off on. I could keep going if you want? This is just lulling me to sleep, but I’m sure I could rouse myself a bit.
Still you raise no salient relevant points .. Why should Gale Banks opinions make any difference to anyone .. He is a well known expert in diesel engines .. If you don't know that .. Well I think you get the point ..

I... I’m not sure what to say? Obviously you can read... maybe my comment didn’t post? I don’t really care. My salient points were just a few of many that could/have been raised. I guess if you just ignore it, then I haven’t technically raised it... somehow? Idk. Good luck. If I were you, I’d stop posting.

Oh! Were you the guy who wanted to put fuel bladders in his doors, or some such nonsense? I do remember reading that. :rofl:. Seems to be about your style.

And I’d still like to see where I mentioned bypass filters and then denied it. That would be cool.

I... I’m not sure what to say? Obviously you can read... maybe my comment didn’t post? I don’t really care. My salient points were just a few of many that could/have been raised. I guess if you just ignore it, then I haven’t technically raised it... somehow? Idk. Good luck. If I were you, I’d stop posting.

Oh! Were you the guy who wanted to put fuel bladders in his doors, or some such nonsense? I do remember reading that. :rofl:. Seems to be about your style.
No cogent points, "Relevant to what you said regarding misinformed nonsense" .. You focus on and poke at punctuation and spelling to demonize and belittle .. You're a legend in your own mind .. Talk about hyper intolerant .. You must have a lot of disgust for the rest of the planet ..

Man, I don’t even know how to respond to that. It’s laughable. A legend in my own mind? That’s rich. You must think highly of yourself, to assume others feel the same.

And you still never addressed the completely cogent points I’ve made. But I think I see how this works. You won’t address them. You’ll dance around the issue but never address it because you don’t know what you’re talking about, and you don’t have enough confidence or humility to admit it. Good luck.

Edit: Still waiting on the part where I dogged bypass filtration? I went back and looked but couldn’t find it...

Man, I don’t even know how to respond to that. It’s laughable. A legend in my own mind? That’s rich. You must think highly of yourself, to assume others feel the same.

And you still never addressed the completely cogent points I’ve made. But I think I see how this works. You won’t address them. You’ll dance around the issue but never address it because you don’t know what you’re talking about, and you don’t have enough confidence or humility to admit it. Good luck.

Edit: Still waiting on the part where I dogged bypass filtration? I went back and looked but couldn’t find it...
Again with the demonization and again no cogent response to "misinformed nonsense" .. How is it you won't address what you wrote ? .. Is it because you wrote that without being able to reference something which is fictitious .. That's indecorous is it not ? .. Or would you care to go back to demonizing me for my punctuation ? .. That's working ..

You state your opinions on things as if they’re a fact. You obviously don’t understand Diesel engines. Increasing boost will lower temps until you add too much fuel for the extra boost (air) to compensate for. Air to water is always more inefficient than air to air. A turbo system is a closed loop, it doesn’t ‘dump’ pressure out because of the IC. That’s just a couple small points. I could pick a whole slew out. But I’ve made my point. Carry on.

So you obviously didn’t pay attention the first time, or the other times I pointed it out. So here it is for you. This is just a few easily grabbed points you’re wrong on. Since you missed it four times, I made it easier to find.

Argh this bloke is hard work!

Yes, Gale Banks knows a lot about diesels and getting reliable performance out of one. I suggest you understand some of his theory before airing knowledge on said topic. Things such as allegedly running hot when lean etc.

Yes, nobody denies that clean oil is beneficial and clean fuel is beneficial.

Yes, I am sceptical of the FASS System or whatever the damn thing is called. Questionable videos and testimonials from someone who sells them on their website. Well, he's hardly gonna say they're rubbish is he?

Do you regularly hear of pre-commonrail cruiser engines suffering failure due to fuel contamination? No.

Do you regularly hear of premature timing belt failure in 1HZ/1HD engines? No.

Do you regularly hear of issues with the factory oil filtration system on 1HZ/1HD engines. No.

I rest my case and will be adding a certain member to my ignore list. It's just not worth it.

Argh this bloke is hard work!

Yes, Gale Banks knows a lot about diesels and getting reliable performance out of one. I suggest you understand some of his theory before airing knowledge on said topic. Things such as allegedly running hot when lean etc.

Yes, nobody denies that clean oil is beneficial and clean fuel is beneficial.

Yes, I am sceptical of the FASS System or whatever the damn thing is called. Questionable videos and testimonials from someone who sells them on their website. Well, he's hardly gonna say they're rubbish is he?

Do you regularly hear of pre-commonrail cruiser engines suffering failure due to fuel contamination? No.

Do you regularly hear of premature timing belt failure in 1HZ/1HD engines? No.

Do you regularly hear of issues with the factory oil filtration system on 1HZ/1HD engines. No.

I rest my case and will be adding a certain member to my ignore list. It's just not worth it.
Thank you for being the apologist for mjosoba .. Completely Indecorous .. I don't like making excuses for my dyslexia or rarely do I mention this disability ..

Would it surprise you Gale Banks did a video regarding the FASS fuel filtration system ? .. I admit I have not heard of pre-common rail cruiser engine suffering failures due to contamination .. I have heard of Gale speak of when increasing engine power / turning up the boost on engines and how he recommends better that stock fuel filtration .. This is what piqued my interests as I am planning to being able to have an adjustable boost between 15-20 lbs .. I am doing this for a reason .. I want to pull a trailer .. I am also planning on adding a radiator for my transmission as well ..

I never spoke of premature belt failures .. I know that belts fail and you can't say they don't fail .. Chains don't fail, they stretch but chain failure is rare or never .. Why would you settle with the mundane ? .. You obviously modified your suspension .. You asked me why fix something that doesn't need to be fixed ? .. You didn't want a mundane suspension .. You wanted a suspension system that was better than factory .. Isn't this hypocritical ? ..

Last edited:
Thank you for being the apologist for mjosoba .. Completely Indecorous .. I don't like making excuses for my dyslexia or rarely do I mention this disability ..

Would it surprise you Gale Banks did a video regarding the FASS fuel filtration system ? .. I admit I have not heard of pre-common rail cruiser engine suffering failures due to contamination .. I have heard of Gale speaks of when increasing engine power / turning up the boost on engines and how he recommends better that stock fuel filtration .. This is what piqued my interests as I am planning to being able to have an adjustable boost between 15-20 lbs .. I am doing this for a reason .. I want to pull a trailer .. I am also planning on adding a radiator for my transmission as well ..

I never spoke of premature belt failures .. I know that belts fail and you can't say they don't fail .. Chains don't fail, they stretch but chain failure is rare or never .. Why would you settle with the mundane ? .. You obviously modified your suspension .. You asked me why fix something that doesn't need to be fixed ? .. You didn't want a mundane suspension .. You wanted a suspension system that was better than factory .. Isn't this hypocritical ? ..
Sorry if the Aussie slang didn't translate...I wasn't apologising about or for @mjosoba

I can assure you I don't settle for mundane, however if it ain't broke don't fix it. The suspension on my turbo FZJ80 in the pic is stock with the exception of 2" lift springs and the appropriate shocks. All the geometry, links etc are as Toyota built them.

Back to Gale Banks, the majority of work he does seems to be on modern common rail engines. I 100% endorse additional filtration on any common rail engine, be it stock or hopped up.
My HDJ80 did thousands of km towing, genuine fuel and air filters, Shell Rimula R4x oil, worked pump, injectors, Gturbo redwheel at 26 psi, Duramax panel filter in a custom airbox, exhaust, clutch, 600x400x76 intercooler etc etc. She made 160 rwkw and 600 rwnm on 285/75/16 all terrains and got 15-16 litres per 100 towing in 35 degree heat, 4th gear and about 3000 rpm for 8 hour intervals. EGT maxxed out at approx 700c on a long hard pull. On cruise approx 16 pounds of boost, 350c EGT

Yes, timing belts can fail, but not for no apparent reason. Timing chains also don't last forever.

Last edited:
Why would you settle with the mundane ? .. You obviously modified your suspension .. You asked me why fix something that doesn't need to be fixed ? .. You didn't want a mundane suspension .. You wanted a suspension system that was better than factory .. Isn't this hypocritical ? ..
People change suspension usually because they intend to use the truck outside if the parameters it was engineered for.
There is a measurable difference in performance or capability.
Swapping a timing belt for a timing chain is moving away from something that reliably performs within its designed parameters.
I've replaced multiple timing belts either on new to me cruisers where maintenance history is unknown, or at the 100k km service interval.
Is a simple, low cost maintenance item. Is achievable in about an hour. Takes about a :banana::banana:level of mechanical aptitude to get right.

To swap to a chain, would require a considerable amount of custom parts, cost and time and effort would outweigh the cost, time, effort required for maintenance of a belt.
Its something that very few people would ever see a benefit from in terms of cost or longevity of the engine as whole

Both have failures within their designed life period, both very rarely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom