80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

don't think it'd be too bad!
I thinking so as well.

Yep! had 84k a year ago too!
That is freaking awesome. I was trying to find the perfect meme from step brothers, but than I recalled how much I dislike that movie and that this is not on topic. :poof:

this thread rules thus far, I had no clue about several options avaiable. well done @Wompom

Alright. I think I’ve committed to the 14in1 guage. The display, sensor & base pack, & wideband add-on from Spartan are in my in-basket. I also got the red cannon-style warning light too.
$6, why not. 😁

I ordered the Wits End useless cup holder base plate. I intend to mount the display there. I held off on the attachment plate (Joey has a few options) until I have the display in hand & see how it looks like I can adapt it.
I also figure this location will only block the view of the OEM clock. No big deal. Radio shows time, watch & phone always on hand too.

I’ve got a few questions for Joey, Ryan, or anyone else with inside knowledge of the Wits End Turbo Kit.

1. Down pipe has a bung to install the Bosch wideband O2 sensor for AFR readings?

2. The oil “peace pipe” has additional 1/8 NPT fittings for oil pressure & oil temp sensors?

3. Water temp. Is there currently somewhere to install an 1/8 NPT sensor for water temp?

4. Fuel pressure sensor. Is that necessary? Anywhere for sensor install?

5. AIT sensor. This one is 3/8 NPT. Will this install at or near the MAP sensor? If/when intercooler, will this install at intercooler? Are/will there be provisions for this?

6. Boost sensor. This goes somewhere after the turbo & the intake manifold? I don’t recall size/threads of this sensor listed, if it’s an industry standard thing, is there a provision in the kit to accept this sensor?

Wiring I have no clue about. I’m guessing base unit will need a power source spliced from somewhere under the dash? Sensors from engine all lead back to a plug in the base unit? And base unit has a data wire from base unit to display?

Just trying to make sure I get all the necessary goodies I need at once. Sounds like it will ship from Australia. Shipping is probably not cheap, don’t want to pay shipping for additional parts I missed & make a second order.

Thanks!
-Jeff

Sorry, I wasn't really following this thread.

I will try and do my best to go through and quickly answer your questions.

1.) The downpipe will have a bung to mount a wideband O2 sensor. I am not familiar with 14-in-1 gauge so I do not know what sensor they use. I would guess the 4.9 but I would double check before you buy a wideband.

2.) The oil peace pipe should have an additional port for measuring oil pressure and temp if that is something you want to do.

3.) A lot of guys will put the water temp sensor in the upper water inlet to the radiator. I am not saying that is best but many have had no issues with it.

4.) Fuel pressure is unnecessary like most of these sensors, but if you want it, you will need an aftermarket rising rate regulator and you can just use one of the open ports on it. But if your AFR on your wideband is good, you know your fuel pressure is fine.

5.) There is no MAP sensor on an 80. The AIT is built into the MAF, which is pre-turbo. If you want post turbo numbers you will need to add a bung to the intake tubing post turbo.

6.) Most systems have a built in sensor that allows you just to run the vacuum line to it. If this 14-in-1 gauge uses the same kind of system you could tee into any of the vacuum lines post turbo.

Alright. I think I’ve committed to the 14in1 guage. The display, sensor & base pack, & wideband add-on from Spartan are in my in-basket. I also got the red cannon-style warning light too.
$6, why not. 😁

I ordered the Wits End useless cup holder base plate. I intend to mount the display there. I held off on the attachment plate (Joey has a few options) until I have the display in hand & see how it looks like I can adapt it.
I also figure this location will only block the view of the OEM clock. No big deal. Radio shows time, watch & phone always on hand too.

I’ve got a few questions for Joey, Ryan, or anyone else with inside knowledge of the Wits End Turbo Kit.

1. Down pipe has a bung to install the Bosch wideband O2 sensor for AFR readings?

2. The oil “peace pipe” has additional 1/8 NPT fittings for oil pressure & oil temp sensors?

3. Water temp. Is there currently somewhere to install an 1/8 NPT sensor for water temp?

4. Fuel pressure sensor. Is that necessary? Anywhere for sensor install?

5. AIT sensor. This one is 3/8 NPT. Will this install at or near the MAP sensor? If/when intercooler, will this install at intercooler? Are/will there be provisions for this?

6. Boost sensor. This goes somewhere after the turbo & the intake manifold? I don’t recall size/threads of this sensor listed, if it’s an industry standard thing, is there a provision in the kit to accept this sensor?

Wiring I have no clue about. I’m guessing base unit will need a power source spliced from somewhere under the dash? Sensors from engine all lead back to a plug in the base unit? And base unit has a data wire from base unit to display?

Just trying to make sure I get all the necessary goodies I need at once. Sounds like it will ship from Australia. Shipping is probably not cheap, don’t want to pay shipping for additional parts I missed & make a second order.

Thanks!
-Jeff

Sorry, I wasn't really following this thread.

I will try and do my best to go through and quickly answer your questions.

1.) The downpipe will have a bung to mount a wideband O2 sensor. I am not familiar with 14-in-1 gauge so I do not know what sensor they use. I would guess the 4.9 but I would double check before you buy a wideband.

2.) The oil peace pipe should have an additional port for measuring oil pressure and temp if that is something you want to do.

3.) A lot of guys will put the water temp sensor in the upper water inlet to the radiator. I am not saying that is best but many have had no issues with it.

4.) Fuel pressure is unnecessary like most of these sensors, but if you want it, you will need an aftermarket rising rate regulator and you can just use one of the open ports on it. But if your AFR on your wideband is good, you know your fuel pressure is fine.

5.) There is no MAP sensor on an 80. The AIT is built into the MAF, which is pre-turbo. If you want post turbo numbers you will need to add a bung to the intake tubing post turbo.

6.) Most systems have a built in sensor that allows you just to run the vacuum line to it. If this 14-in-1 gauge uses the same kind of system you could tee into any of the vacuum lines post turbo.

Yes it comes with the Bosch 4.9 O2 sensor.

I kinda figured fuel pressure was unnecessary.

MAP/MAF sensor. Yeah, I know, & that is what I meant. 😂 So I could get this reading from the MAF sensor or just put this sensor just before or after the MAF?

I ordered the 14in1 gauge, base system, & AFR kit this morning. It was $50 to ship & said 3-5 business days. They must have shipping hubs because I can’t imagine I’d get it that quick, for that price, if coming from Kangaroo-land. 😂

I should know more about the system one I have it in hand.

Yes it comes with the Bosch 4.9 O2 sensor.

I kinda figured fuel pressure was unnecessary.

MAP/MAF sensor. Yeah, I know, & that is what I meant. 😂 So I could get this reading from the MAF sensor or just put this sensor just before or after the MAF?

I ordered the 14in1 gauge, base system, & AFR kit this morning. It was $50 to ship & said 3-5 business days. They must have shipping hubs because I can’t imagine I’d get it that quick, for that price, if coming from Kangaroo-land. 😂

I should know more about the system one I have it in hand.
Awesome. Still debating which route i'm gonna go. Please post some photos of the screen once you have it held up in different spots in the cruiser if possible!

Awesome. Still debating which route i'm gonna go. Please post some photos of the screen once you have it held up in different spots in the cruiser if possible!

It’s definitely on my agenda. 👍🏻
Screen mounting options, places to put sensors, ect.
I’m thinking of drill/tap for water temp sensor, tucking a sensor under a hose & clamp sound lazy & prone to failure. I’m assuming somewhere as close to coolant exiting the block would be best, but I’ll see what I can do once I have the parts in front of me.

It’s definitely on my agenda. 👍🏻
Screen mounting options, places to put sensors, ect.
I’m thinking of drill/tap for water temp sensor, tucking a sensor under a hose & clamp sound lazy & prone to failure. I’m assuming somewhere as close to coolant exiting the block would be best, but I’ll see what I can do once I have the parts in front of me.
I'v seen the drill in tap on the round flat spot of the exit pipe but also the splice into the upper rad hose using one of the metal tube adapters. I'm thinking adapter route. Hose is cheaper to replace if i pull the whole system out.

Adapter, can be found many places for <$10

I'v seen the drill in tap on the round flat spot of the exit pipe but also the splice into the upper rad hose using one of the metal tube adapters. I'm thinking adapter route. Hose is cheaper to replace if i pull the whole system out.

Adapter, can be found many places for <$10

That’s a cool little gizmo.
I think I’ll still try to find a spot to drill/tap so sensor is mounted more rigid, tucked away, & cleaner.
But that is a good option.

1/8 NPT plug would be an option if you decided to remove system.

It almost looks like the coolant exit pipe, from block, was made for a fitting to install.
Was this spot used for something in different countries maybe?
DCE6628E-489A-4BA2-AB19-2B7BE09EA88C.jpeg

14in1 is actually shipping from Australia. Via airplane I assume, since shipping is 3-5 days.

I was emailed confirmation of order, tracking info, & a message which said I can call with any install questions I may have & they would walk me through it. Pretty cool.

Email included 61 pages of very detailed instructions, diagrams, ect. I’m not sure how to attach it here for you guys to see.

Is someone wants to PM me how to do post document links or PM me an email to send it to for you to attach that would be cool. I’ve only ever attach photos here.

It almost looks like the coolant exit pipe, from block, was made for a fitting to install.
Was this spot used for something in different countries maybe?
View attachment 1960056

Not sure but in my searching quite a few guys have drilled and tapped that spot, which is what I was referencing before to stick a temp sender.

As far as posting install stuff click "attach files" on the bottom left of the text box when you're typing a reply.

Ok, I attached the instructions for the Spartan Wide Band O2 sensor (AFR sensor). It’s only 1 page.

The 14in1 guage & sensor document is 61 pages. It said the PDF was too large to upload. It’s 442 kB.
Anyone know how to link it?

Snippet from instructions. Joey, does it look like your down pipe O2 bung will be compatible?
“The Lambda Sensor should be installed between the 10 o’clock and the 2 o’clock position, less than 60 degrees from vertical, this will allow gravity to remove water condensation from the sensor.”
FEA0A986-20A5-42E6-B260-2112B297B570.jpeg

Attachments

• Spartan_Lambda_Controller_2_User_Manual-Dec-2017.pdf
    323.4 KB · Views: 265
Screen measurements were online. But I assumed it was a little larger. If the screen is small for reading, I can always use the larger display with less info. And I could buy a second screen that will daisy-chain & show more guage info too.
2641CC9E-75D4-480E-A805-2BB0D04B847B.jpeg
62CF774F-B0C1-41D5-B306-9E3BAEF34C54.jpeg
10D32C19-3E9C-4281-83EF-E75D675E7C0D.jpeg
C08AC9FE-069D-4ABB-9C11-F8ED2CC4C9C8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom