80 factory CD head cleaning strategy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone had luck with a particular CD head cleaner? Mine's begun acting up after only 10 years :) and I suspect it's merely a dirty lense on the head/reader. Or is it possible to use something else like a Q-tip, etc?

A buddy has a DVD head cleaner but apparently he thinks it won't work because my CD player won't recognize it and spin it. I tend to agree and don't want to damage anything. Anyone?

I did a search and found nothing.

DougM

Doug,

Any CD head cleaner with soft brush will do; but IMHO, don't trust any solution/solvent provided (might be only lints/dusts that get collected on the lense over the years, any oily residue would cause instant performance issue.)

DVD cleaner discs won't be recognized - thus lense never get cleaned; either by rejected after a few spins or worse, spinned indefinitely & damage is out of control.

Frank.

I'd be happy to hear of one that works well. I have to feed CD's in 3-4 times before it will recognize it.

I bought one that had me listen to some message while it cleaned; then told me it was finished. Seemed to work well, and now I have some strange hypnotic desire to buy more products from the same manufacturer. ;)

My cd recognition problems weren't so much as a dirty lens but dirty scan rails. The head unit moves along 2 rails from what I remember and are lubricated with lithium grease that has dried out. Remove the rails and clean with some brasso to remove any tarnish and then grease with some light teflon grease that can be gotten from Radio Shack. Clean and lube the lead screw assembly as well. Only a very old home recorded cd won't always get recognised now. It will still play on the second attempt and everything else works fine.

CD player in my 80 doesn't play at all. Takes in the disk, spins it for a minute, then spits it out. Been that way since I bought it (second owner).

OK... being in the industry, I'll give you the common speech I get from all the technicians I've talked to over the years. :D
They don't like *cleaning* discs (DVD or otherwise)

The reason is kind of simple if you think of it. These discs work by dragging brushes around the inside of your player at high speed in areas that weren't designed for it.
Most technicians don't like the idea of these brushes beating on your laser lens.
Also, what else are they beating on inside your player? What else are they picking up and then beating your lense with?
The biggest fear is that they will pick up grease from the pickup rails and smear it on your lens.

when techs clean a lens they use special swabs and solution, and do it carefully by hand.

The real issue is that by the time you end up with problems, it is usually more involved than *dirt* on the lens. (worn pickup servos, dry lubrication on the rails are common)

Now..... I'm not saying that CD cleaners don't work, and am not really going to give a personal opinion other than to say I have never used them.

I just thought I'd give some good advice to think about.

BTW: it's usually hard to find someplace to service your factory radio. Also, with labor rates what they are anymore, and the pricing on good new cd players, it's almost not worth having them serviced.

1. Remove stock double DIN
2. Install new single DIN head unit
3. Install new toy of choice in left over DIN slot. (CB? HAM?)
4. Enoy more musical power, toy, etc.
5. Post lots of pictures to show off new setup.
6. :beer:

No guarentees but if someone is desperate and willing to pay for shipping I'l take a crack at it for them. But this is with the understanding that I could make matters worse, not intentionally but possible. I went through mine 3 years ago and it has performed well since.

I like the replace option from a performance standpoint - did it on the other car last fall and also put new speakers in all round. Nice sound. But the 80 has become kind of the grand ol' dame of the family and I like keeping everything stock. Though I wouldn't be averse to putting some replacement speakers in there at some point and an inline amp. I did this on a new 4 runner years ago and it was a pain to wire but worked out fine. So if it can be serviced, I'll do it.

Got the unopened CD cleaner sitting on the workbench at the moment. Any chance I can gently wipe the head via the CD slot?

Rick - tell me a bit about how hard it was to open the unit up to do that. I'm quite handy, but need to know some details. Any soldering required?

Out-of-warranty repair is offered by Toyota's authorized radio repair centers. They charge a flat fee unless the unit has gone for a swim in soda pop or if the kiddies have been using it as a piggy bank :whoops:
The fee runs about 90/120 bucks plus shipping to the repair station.

D-

Hmm, that's an option. Unfortunately, one that would get me within $150 of an all new aftermarket unit - which I'm loathe to do. Thanks for the input Dan.

Doug,
It quite simple. The unit is made up of 3 main parts. The face, top half and the lower half. Start by removing the face.

"warning from memory :eek:"

remove a couple of screws and pull face off. It basically plugs into the other 2.

Slip the other 2 halfs apart. What your looking for is in the top half but accessed from below.

That's all I got :p from memory.

What your looking for is the bottom of the scan assembly. The head rides on 2 small chrome rails about 2" long and 1.5mm diameter. You'll need to remove them IIRC there are small retainers at each end held in by a couple of small screws. The lead screw is attached to a small motor. That also need to be removed and cleaned with a tooth brush. The chrome rails can tarnish over time so I clean them with Brasso polish. Once cleaned lubricate with some teflon gel. Got that at Radio Shack. As far as cleaning the lens use isopropyl alcohol 95% or better and a q-tip.

From your posts this is easily within your ability range

If you get lost in there maybe post a pic and I can elaborate once the I see the inside again.

Thanks - sounds like something for a nice summer day in the shade of a tree with some Eagles Greatest Hits on the shop radio (about a foot of new snow here). I will wait to unwrap the cleaner disc. The player is working fine, just needs about 1 in 10 discs reinserted to play. I can live with that for quite some time - hopefully till summer.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom