79' Steering box slop and leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 79' FJ40. U.S. Spec. Steering box has more than factory 40mm play and is leaking quite a bit. Looking for some options. SOR is $1200+ which is not an option I can afford right now. Any good rebuild kits or remanufactured options I can go with?

I just replaced the seal on my steering box that was leaking. If you want my advise get an actual pitman arm puller (a gear puller will not do the job). Once you get that off get yourself a seal puller. I spent an hour trying to get the seal out. After I got the seal puller it came out within a minute. Grease the new seal and tap it in. I used a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe that I cut down to 5" long. I bought the seal from Toyotapartsdeal.com part number #90311-32014 Good luck!

Take gear box apart and remove a shim or two. That allows sector shaft to move closer to worm gear.

Manual or power unit?

I rebuild them.

@65swb45 just rebuilt mine and it’s been perfect. Didn’t take too long, and helped me with some questions I had regarding installing. I highly recommend

Adjust the lash screw on the side of the box and fill w/ 140wt oil.
Total cost $3.99.
That may be good enough.

Disregard the above if it's a power gearbox. They run on ATF, not gear oil. And power boxes have pressure in them which forces the leak. It needs torn down & seals replaced.

Update: just got back from my mechanic. He found the drag link at the pitman arm is loose. When i turned the wheels he noticed the drag link would slide back and forth where the link meets the arm . Going to buy a new pitman arm and drag link just to be on the safe sidesidee.On a lighter note the axle and bal joints were solid.

Hmmm
You know u can tighten the end of the draglink so there’s less play we’re it connects to your pitman arm.
Pull the cotter pin out and with a big flathead screwdriver turn the end screw cap all the way in as far as it will go then back it off a half turn for starters

There’s a rebuild kit for that; no need to buy a whole assembly. FJ Parts, Cruiser Outfit and I all sell those kits.

Good idea. Thanks for the info. I had already planed on rebuilding center arm bc this truck has been lifted 4 inches and running 33 inch tires. Im not sure how the truck was treated in its past life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom