79 FJ40 116k miles -- would you buy? for how much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.

Would appreciate your thoughts on an FJ40 I'm considering. Would you buy it? If so, for how much? Sounds like it needs some work mechanically and hard top needs work.

I am not able to check it out in person as it is 2k+ miles away. Here is description from current owner:

Here is the deal on the truck. I have owned it since 2001. According to the fellow I bought it from I am the 3rd owner. He was a total Fj40 gear head...the seriously over the top kind. He wanted a mustard yellow one and refused to paint this one yellow because it wasn't built yellow. He bought a mustard one and sold this one. I got it in Montana after looking forever for a rust free one that I didn’t have to work on and could just 'clean up' cosmetically. If someone gave me free gas I would not hesitate to jump in and head out cross country, it runs great. The only time the top and doors have been on it was when I hauled it over here and then a couple months ago I put it on to sell it. The rest of the time it was topless. I only drove it in good weather and just kept it in the shop under a car cover so just stored the top. There are some branch scratches in the windows but its in good shape.

There are two reasons I am selling...one, parts are stupid expensive now. I can do minor stuff no issue but I am not a mechanic that could just replace a motor or transmission. second reason is I am throwing in the towel. I don’t have enough time to take care of it. I want something I can take the top on and off and is actually comfortable to drive…too old for the mechanic life! In the last 5 years I have put probably 200 miles on it, I just don't drive it and just sits in the garage. Not a drop of anything on the floor under it so thats one good thing especially for a land cruiser! Sitting is NOT good for a vehicle so I just want to get it to someone who will actually use it, would hate to see it turned into a crawler tho.

needs...
1-PO had the truck de-smogged by a shop who knew how to do it (i have 95% of the stuff including original card to resmog if needed). The bad part of the deal is the PO was a crappy welder and threw a straight pipe where the cat was removed and its not welded good at all. No huge deal, not noisy but needs to be addressed just to look nice and stop a few leaks. from that pipe back it is okay, nothing pretty but I wouldn't replace it as its not noisy.
2-sitting over the 5 years the brake master cylinder needs a rebuild. This spring it is leaking a bit at the booster so most likely needs a rebuild kit. I replaced a caliper a couple years ago and never really got the lines bled right though works fine, but definitely the brakes need to be gone through from sitting.
3-seats are typical FJ40 seats....need redoing. I have sheepskins on em and never really cared. I have perfect jump seats for the back but I put a Con-Ferr bench in the back for more comfort for the family.
4-I have a 30x50 metal shop with no heat. It gets somewhat damp in it all winter and I noticed this year that there is a light dusting of surface rust, its weird...like on the heater body and other places like that. Wipes right off but leaves a reddish tint on it. Cosmetic but I dont like it happening.
5-the hard top is in pieces. The guy I bought the truck from had it ripped apart to re-seal and paint. have all the parts...minus some gaskets...just needs paint and assembly.
6- exhaust manifold gasket. It has a minor leak. I have the gasket just never got round to putting it on.
7-new odometer cable, the needle bounces a bit at low speeds...not a big deal but another cosmetic thing.
8-parking brake needs new shoes. It holds okay but on big hills its going to roll if not parked in gear.
The engine is the original 2F and transfer case. Odometer shows 116k which is supposed to be correct. In all I can find it looks like it was originally purchased in Denver but not 100% on that one. It smokes a little when started after sitting months but it is driven a few times it will start the next day with no sigh of anything in the exhaust. I have not even gotten license tabs the last two years so I start it once in a while and drive around the neighborhood. I don't have any maintenance records because I really haven't replaced anything other than what is listed below. Oil changes and such I just do myself. The stuff I did replace you can totally see because they are all still new and shiny. AS it sits right now it needs a tune up to get it purring again.

What I have replaced...
-oil pan gasket...had a drip going on and after replacement there is not a single drop anywhere dripping from this truck.
-windshield and gasket
-radiator, and all the hoses
-water pump
-fuel pump
-1 brake caliper
-I had it less than a year when I put a brand new 2.5" skyjacker lift and new shackles. They arent even broken in yet, still have the paper stickers on the front set. I put brand new black steel wheels and 32" Tires from a local tire chain. I had them replace all the ball joints up front when they did the lift. All that stuff has less than 3000 miles on the items.
-I replaced the rear heater with one from an '83 fj40. This one sits under the center console and gives back the space taken by the original one.
-steering wheel. I put a smaller one in it for a couple reasons. The truck has power steering and the stock wheel made steering WAY too easy and it gave me knee room with the smaller one. I have the original and its in perfect condition
I have every original piece I replaced (except springs n shackles) so it can all go back just as it was when I got it.
Body ..
The PO had the rear quarters replaced because there was some rust around the wheel opening. I used to have pictures of the work done and it looked good. He admitted he screwed up cutting the fender to put the flairs on and then drilling holes in perfectly good metal to mount the aluminum diamond plate. The PO painted it with # correct paint and it is pretty from 30 feet but it has nicks and scratches but still shines really nicely and looks just great, I wouldn't repaint it
. You should be able to see it in the pics. The whole interior is done in Line-X and they did a really nice job. No cracks in the dash pad either. In all honesty, I don't know if the motor needs rebuilding or not. The few crusier heads I had look at it say no, and it sounds fine to me. I think the valves need an adjustment though sounds a little chattery in there but then its an engine designed for forklifts so who knows! It starts right up and wants to go.
Frame, It is solid. There is only one place in question, at the rear end spring perches. I have had it checked out at a 4x4 shop who know FJ40s and they say it is fine. I have never worried about it as its still solid. It has the typical surface rust but all in all seems perfectly solid. There is surface rust on the frame but I can find nothing that suggests rot.
Every time I take it out it never fails that several people comment on how nice my 'jeep' is. It really is in good shape for a 36 yr old vehicle. I love it, there is nothing that looks like an FJ40. I love jeeps too but in my opinion if someone wanted a bombproof insanely capable 4x4 an FJ40 is it...not telling you anything new I am sure! They are doing nothing but jumping in value so I am sure I will kick myself in the butt down the road but I can’t let it just sit and waste away.
there other stuff to go too. con-ferr swing out tire holder and cooler holder. weighs a ton, con-ferr metal storage deal that sits behind the seats. 2 sets of rust free full doors, ambulance doors needing bottoms, cant recall what else. I'm not sure anymore what is out there. I need to dig it out ant take pictures I suppose.

Anyway...sorry for the way too long message but that's the story in full.

ve1awi.jpg

$9 to $12K contingent on close inspection and level of rust present, where is the vehicle located?
Perhaps a MUD member can check it for you, if it's close to me I can do a MudFax for you.

10-12k easy
Nice truck

By the way, new Jeep Wranglers break a lot more than my 1981 135k fj40.

Last edited:
1979 and newer are hard to find rust free. They are my favorite vintage. Mine is a 1981 and love it.

image.jpg

$9 to $12K contingent on close inspection and level of rust present, where is the vehicle located?
Perhaps a MUD member can check it for you, if it's close to me I can do a MudFax for you.

It is in WA state, near Everett. Having a MUD member check it out would be AWESOME and hugely appreciated! Is there any particular way to try to and go about finding someone, other than this particular thread?

Dumb question: what is a MudFax?

Thank you, 78fj40mg!

Really depends on what's lurking behind the diamond plate. I just bought a 79 that had to have the rear sill and quarter panels replaced but everything was 100 percent stock and fully functioning including the seat buzzer and windshield wiper sprayers. My frame definitely had more surface rust than yours though. I paid about 7k for mine and feel like it was a fair deal, I bet that rig is worth in the 9k to 10k range imo.

It is in WA state, near Everett. Having a MUD member check it out would be AWESOME and hugely appreciated! Is there any particular way to try to and go about finding someone, other than this particular thread?

Thank you, 78fj40mg!

Sorry, 78fj40mg, if I misunderstood/misread your post. I think the MudFax term threw me off! Stupid new guy not yet understanding the lingo on the forum!

If it is near you and you would be willing I would very much appreciate you checking it out. I would be sure to make it worth your time and effort.

Thank you, 78fj40mg!

Fletch I'll do it tomorrow. PMed you.

Now THAT is the true Mud way of helping a fellow cruiserhead!!

Don

Hey Thanks Don! Anything to help out a new member that's 2K miles away from his potential new cruiser.

Hey Thanks Don! Anything to help out a new member that's 2K miles away from his potential new cruiser.

HUGE shout out and THANK YOU to 78fj40mg (Mike). He did a Mudfax on this rig and I couldn't have asked for anything more. Extremely thorough and fair. Based on his good (hell, great!) work and some phone conversations with him, I have decided this is not the 40 for me.

Can't thank Mike enough. Just a super stand up guy and a heck of a resource to the folks on MUD. Mike, you the man!!!

HUGE shout out and THANK YOU to @78fj40mg (Mike). He did a Mudfax on this rig and I couldn't have asked for anything more. Extremely thorough and fair. Based on his good (hell, great!) work and some phone conversations with him, I have decided this is not the 40 for me.

Can't thank Mike enough. Just a super stand up guy and a heck of a resource to the folks on MUD. Mike, you the man!!!

Thanks Fletch! I appreciate the accolades! Good luck with your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom