'78 FJ40 Blinker Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can any one help me out,

my 78 FJ running completely stock, is not blinking when i flip the switch, running lights work, brake lights, headlights and they do flip over once, just not continuing to blink.

CAN ANYONE HELP?
:censor:

check your grounds....

how are your hazards ?

flasher blown ?

hazards work fine... only the blinkers get stuck or jammed, however you want to put it, the lights gets brighter once, then stays on

got a wiring diagram ?

do hazards and blinkers run to the same flasher ?

have you looked at the switch itself ?

I don't know how it works in later models, but in early models, if the initial contact gets ever so slightly interrupted, they will not flash/blink

have you looked at the switch itself ?

I don't know how it works in later models, but in early models, if the initial contact gets ever so slightly interrupted, they will not flash/blink
haven't checked the switch, and yeah, i have like 6 or 7 manual's that came when i bought the cruiser, i love it but am quite tired of getting tickets for unblinking blinkers

and compliments on your rig, have you thought about the SOA lift?

haven't checked the switch, and yeah, i have like 6 or 7 manual's that came when i bought the cruiser, i love it but am quite tired of getting tickets for unblinking blinkers

and compliments on your rig, have you thought about the SOA lift?

PM answered

and no, SOA is not in my future, the rig has a high enough center of gravity as it were :eek:

new bushings and Bilsteins did wonders for smoothing out my ride :D and it wheels just fine as it sits now :steer:

I've got some heavy plans,

SOA with 14'' travel bilsteins, a two inch SOR lift kit, 35'' BFG A/T's or Micky T's prototype Crawler M/T

forgot to mention swaping the axels as a dana 60 rear and dana 44 front, dual cases 5:19 gears and V-8
convert not sure if im going to do 4-link or keep the leaf springs, but in either way, it will be a street legal modified and bonified rock cruiser.

why would you put axles under your truck that are weaker than the stock cruiser axles :confused:

true story: my husband has Dana 60s under his Blazer; we take the cruiser axles apart for the first time (disk brake conversion) and he goes: "WHOA, those things are BEEFY" :eek: (he has had cruiser envy ever since :grinpimp:)

don't believe all the hype you read on some forum :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

and, by the way, where do you wheel ?

i would obviously beef up the dana's... but mostly adding them for the wider foot print, not a whole lot, but ever bit that i don't have to use spacers i need,

i mostly wheel in local california, wine country creeks and river beds, very little mudding and anywhere i see a spot i can climb over something..

I got a slightly similar problem in that mine jst started doing this same thing recently...but only when my head lights are on and am stopped at idle. If I rev the engine the blinker starts back up again. Obviously they need more power. I have had some luck in the past by cleaning up my fuse contacts a little with a light file. I did install some Silverstar Halogen headlights without putting in a new relay so I am thinking that is where I am running into a problem....but my blinker problem is pretty recent so who knows. Gonna double check that the fuse contact is still clean before I move onto installing a headlight relay. Will let you know.

wiggly contacts.....

I have the same problem too...posted a thread last week without much of a response...let us all know what comes of it....somebody has got to have a solution for this.

if you have the old flasher unit that you can take apart, you will find two coils.

there are a couple sets of points in there. i was able to fiddle with the points and got mine to work. it would blink once, then stay on. also, hazards were totally normal.

it should be on bolted to the left side of the pedal box, up near the fuse block. two 10mm bolts, just loosen them, then sort of twist it out.

if you need more detail, reply, and i'll see if i can help you with it.

--r

Can any one help me out,

my 78 FJ running completely stock, is not blinking when i flip the switch, running lights work, brake lights, headlights and they do flip over once, just not continuing to blink.

CAN ANYONE HELP?
:censor:
I had the same thing on my 78. Take the front turnsignal housings apart and look at all the corrosion on the ground wire. Run a separate ground to your frame on each assembly, works perfect now.

I got a slightly similar problem in that mine jst started doing this same thing recently...but only when my head lights are on and am stopped at idle. If I rev the engine the blinker starts back up again. Obviously they need more power. I have had some luck in the past by cleaning up my fuse contacts a little with a light file. I did install some Silverstar Halogen headlights without putting in a new relay so I am thinking that is where I am running into a problem....but my blinker problem is pretty recent so who knows. Gonna double check that the fuse contact is still clean before I move onto installing a headlight relay. Will let you know.
Yes it sounds like they are not getting enough power, try cleaning the the haz switch contacts and the connection to the haz also along side the turn fuse.
The flasher will flash slower or stop flashing if these contacts are not making good contact to provide good current through the circit. Headlight relays , I don't think it will solve the blinking problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom