'77 FJ40 Seat Back Pressed in Bolts on Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

icorradoi

SILVER Star
Threads
Redoing the upholstery on my front seats in my 40 when I discovered that the left side of the driver's seat mounting point for the seatback has been broken off and I cannot secure the seat back to the slider. This is a square shoulder bolt that press into a square cut out on the slider. The seat back pivots on the round outside part of the bolt and then there is some thread for a washer and bolt on the end.

Anyone know if these pressed in bolts are still available(doubtful) or if there is an aftermarket solution? I'm thinking of going to the hardware store and trying to find a bolt that would work, but I'm not sure how much luck I'll have with that.

Pics included to make up for my poor descriptive skills...

IMG_5339.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg

Well, went to the hardware store and solved this one myself. In case anyone ever runs into this issue, here's what I did:

Used an M10 X 35 (1.50 Pitch) carriage bolt. The square shoulder under the smooth head was a perfect fit into the frames' square cut out. I also picked up a 3/8" I.D. - .500 O.D. 3/4" long steel spacer along with a washer, lock washer and nut for the bolt. I think everything cost me under $4.00 altogether.

Press or pound in the carriage bolt, slide the steel spacer over the bolt thread, install backrest bracket onto the bolt/spacer combo, then tighten the nut onto the washer and lock washer. Voila! Not factory looking, but very functional.

IMG_5352.jpeg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom