75 Series Lift Kits + Custom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MES

Threads
Hey there, now that my troopy looks good, is water resistant, painted, and sealed... Its time for a lift kit.
Its currently on the oem HD suspension. The Toyo m55 255/85R16 tires fit real well, but there is no weight on it yet and its just super bouncy.

Current set up.

Im looking into lifting it about 2 inches to get a little more clearance, but mainly to get a more comfortable ride.
I had plans of Fzj80 Axles with a front 3 link coilover conversion along with longer chevy/ Deaver leafs in the back.... But its just going to cost too much, and for a rare all original vehicle, I just feel bad cutting out all the guts out of it. Everything works, even the stock leafs are in great condition.

So question is... What lift kit would you guys recommend? Ive seen the OME Dakar, EFS, and Terrain Tamer kits. Mainly looking for feedback on the Leaf springs. I will be using tuned Fox shocks once the leafs are on and measured. Is there a better Leaf spring MFG that makes bolt on leafs for a Troopy?

I have also saw that Terrain Tamer has Parabolic rear leafs as well. Not sure if they fit the 75 series. I know the 78 and the 79 have longer leafs, but if they are technically better, I dont mind adapting them to work.

@Willis see that you run the Dobinsons with the reservoir shocks. How do you like them?

Any feedback would be great. Want to get it all done before April for Moab...

Thanks!

Last edited:
On the Terrain Tamer 75 parabolics — I personally have been keenly awaiting for the actual production models of them and threw down a small deposit to ensure I can get them when they are initially released in AUS. But, with COVID, the release is pushed back to May/June. the 78/79 parabolics are just for the rear springs since they have coils up front. So, not an option if you’re trying to get it done by April. Not to mention, they’re always made in small batches and i’m sure there’s a list among Australians already for 78/79 rear parabolics.

I think the Terrain Tamer regular packs, Dobinson’s, and Old Man Emu’s (that are designed for the load in the troopy) are all great options for what you need in the time you need it by, usually available readily in the USA. (which I might just get myself and ditch the parabolics)

Reactions: MES
On the Terrain Tamer 75 parabolics — I personally have been keenly awaiting for the actual production models of them and threw down a small deposit to ensure I can get them when they are initially released in AUS. But, with COVID, the release is pushed back to May/June. the 78/79 parabolics are just for the rear springs since they have coils up front. So, not an option if you’re trying to get it done by April. Not to mention, they’re always made in small batches and i’m sure there’s a list among Australians already for 78/79 rear parabolics.

I think the Terrain Tamer regular packs, Dobinson’s, and Old Man Emu’s (that are designed for the load in the troopy) are all great options for what you need in the time you need it by, usually available readily in the USA. (which I might just get myself and ditch the parabolics)
Thanks for the input!

I have Dobinsons on my ute. I think I got the fronts for with steel bumper and winch. The rear I think was what ever the next up from stock. It rides pretty stiff without any load in the back. I removed two leafs in the back as per Dobinsons instructions but it didn't soften up the ride any. I also used their basic shocks, don't know if the shocks are also to blame? Service from Dobinsons USA is excellent, at least it was to me. You definitely will need to figure out what kind of load you plan on using for daily use, or for expeditions if that is what you plan on using it for.

We're a Dobinsons dealer and have used them on a lot of our customer trucks as well as my personal stuff. My Troopy has them and I couldn't be happier with the ride. It's as smooth and comfortable as anyone could expect from a leaf spring suspension. Heavy front(bar and winch), leaf springs removed in rear per Dobinsons recommendation. I run the standard Dobinsons shocks. Truck works great on the road and off. Have not really loaded that truck down as we have lots of other stuff to use for hauling. Ride height is perfect.

My 79s run MRR shocks and they are magical :) Very very happy I went with them. Lots of adjustments to really dial them in. I'm sure guys have had lots more time with them off-road than I have but from my time with them on some trails, they just soak up the bumps. Like a Lexus. Well not quite but nice....granted the 79s are coil sprung front and rear. Really nice pieces....all the Dobinsons stuff is really nicely made. David at Dobinsons is a tremendous resource.....incredible customer service.

Never thought about the MRRs for the Troopy BUT now I am 🤔 :)

Hello,

Get a Dobinsons kit and do not look back.

Before placing the order, however, make sure you know how much load you are going to carry in your Troopy on a daily basis. If your everyday stuff weighs, say, 100 kg/220 lb, let the supplier know. Same thing if it is heavier or lighter than that. In this way you get the right suspension for your application and there is no need to add or delete leafs, among other things.

It is quite common to get a suspension kit intended for a heavier load; as a result, the ride can be as harsh as it is with the OEM suspension.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom