Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi mate I was wondering if you would be able to speak a bit more in depth about your body mount workings as I am doing a coiled 75 aswell and am stumped on how to go about it. Cheers, Trent
I sure there are better people to ask as I didn’t get it perfect. I basically used some leveling stands to hover the body over the frame into the position I liked. Then I figured out where and what type of mounts I needed. I didn’t get it perfect as I had to use three thick washers up front to make things line up after welding in the mounts. In the end it was pretty straight forward.
I also started laying the 75 cab rear mount on top of the 80 series B pillar mount. In my research this is how most others did it as well.

I sure there are better people to ask as I didn’t get it perfect. I basically used some leveling stands to hover the body over the frame into the position I liked. Then I figured out where and what type of mounts I needed. I didn’t get it perfect as I had to use three thick washers up front to make things line up after welding in the mounts. In the end it was pretty straight forward.
I also started laying the 75 cab rear mount on top of the 80 series B pillar mount. In my research this is how most others did it as well.
Okay mate thanks a lot

Dude this build is so awesome. I think the truck is going to be super useful and cool. True to the "form follows function" saying. And it is a sweet form. If we could buy a 79 series diesel here I would commit to the dreaded car loan but since it isn't, this concept is a win.

Dude this build is so awesome. I think the truck is going to be super useful and cool. True to the "form follows function" saying. And it is a sweet form. If we could buy a 79 series diesel here I would commit to the dreaded car loan but since it isn't, this concept is a win.
I use the car payment excuse with the wife all the time. Every now and then when she brings up what I spend on cruisers I use the excuse of my car payment is building the trucks little at a time and your is paying off yours. I too think about if a new 70 was available here if I would go back to a car payment.

I use the car payment excuse with the wife all the time. Every now and then when she brings up what I spend on cruisers I use the excuse of my car payment is building the trucks little at a time and your is paying off yours. I too think about if a new 70 was available here if I would go back to a car payment.

I figure for the most part the cruisers I have and the buy in cost is about equal to a new diesel 4x4 all loaded up. No brainer

Any day of the week this is at least 10 times better then a 79 series mate

Any day of the week this is at least 10 times better then a 79 series mate
At least you would know. The things I see great about this for us in the States at least, is the great 6bt Cummins and its available parts/service. Next would be the simplicity/durability of the truck which I know Cim is after. What else leads you to the comment? Or is that it? Glad to hear the opinion.

I am learning up for my perfect truck btw.

At least you would know. The things I see great about this for us in the States at least, is the great 6bt Cummins and its available parts/service. Next would be the simplicity/durability of the truck which I know Cim is after. What else leads you to the comment? Or is that it? Glad to hear the opinion.
In the 79 series you get a very cheap non reliable 4wd drivetrain with very small diffs and driveshafts, an minimal upgrade on the gearbox and a 75 series dash with one cupholder rather then none, no bluetooth or even aux with the price of half a home loan and nothing to justify except the toyota name

Wiring has begun. It’s kinda nice because I can do some of it inside in AC. I got a ground bus bar and relays for starter, shutdown solenoid, and grid heater mounted. Grid heater wires are way overkill but I had some left over #4 wire laying around. Cummins calls for #6 I believe.
I used some HDPE plastic that I bolted to the fender. I melted in some T nuts on the backside so I can use proper metric hardware. No self tappers or crappy screws will be used except where Toyota calls for them.
I also have plenty of room to work since batteries will be somewhere else besides engine bay.
D80C7EA2-BECA-4CE5-9645-7FFB2481ED40.jpeg
BF6070FC-255F-4062-A5AD-B5B33ACA1946.jpeg
6C3D9871-E0F0-4486-869F-7CCC0E57172E.jpeg
CF371B33-94B5-481F-AA01-F9BADA86D975.jpeg

Nice job, Cim. Looks nice and tidy.

Nice job, Cim. Looks nice and tidy.
I’m trying not to cut corners but that’s easy right now when it’s still months from moving.

CLEAN.

Like what ya doing here @Mr Cimarron. Hitting Jimmy’s barn for a frame swap in a couple of weeks. Hope we can see this monster.

Different series frame or just replacing something better?
It’s for a friend. Replacing a bent frame. With better and the same type.

I also finished up the power steering cooler last night. I would have kept the factory unit but when I tried to bend one end I went to far and kinked it. This one is a Derale unit that is a popular swap for 80 series. I was able to reuse one of the mounts that bolts into the crossmember and ended up welding a piece on for the other side. Slimmed down the factory clamp a bit and it fit right in.
F212665C-EE14-4546-B062-90A561A45A8C.jpeg
0260C172-A711-4856-9A9A-30B7830D8156.jpeg

Finished up fan shroud today. I kinda went backward for a day due to not moving the radiator far enough forward so I had to redo that first. I used some M5 riv nuts to mount the fan. Now only need to get some shorter M5 screws to cross this project off the list.
5068B33D-4E08-4B40-B1D4-98A0377EAD59.jpeg
8FC4F534-6995-453B-B282-F11D1214C9D6.jpeg
A9B4346C-F48E-4258-8F33-76B2A9DC3125.jpeg
5D543A06-E12B-44A1-8CEB-9F2D6B81A938.jpeg

Added some more wiring. Fuse and relay panel to run the headlights, fan and such. Also found some matching wire from the LX harness to extend the four ignition switch wires needed. The switch was from a 22R so it had double the wires to run EFI from what I could tell. Don’t need that! I’ll add a connector on it this weekend along with mounting the voltage regulator.
Next week will be research for the fuse panel for the inside and how to run always hot vs ACC correctly. Im trying not to get too far ahead on this electrical. Need to finish one thing at a time so my head doesn’t explode. Really wishing the weather would cool down so I can be in the garage longer than 30 minutes at a time.
C83AC856-86DB-40E2-9E9F-5834500439CA.jpeg
31BE3C1A-75D7-42A0-A6B6-AC279262CCE1.jpeg
814E7D9E-0F02-4474-B356-0B2CB77DA1A5.jpeg
6F8040B9-9D2D-4374-9C64-AD3294C43921.jpeg
A56E590C-39B3-4FA9-AE5D-71D66D0074DF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom