Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple of areas to consider when it comes to tight clearances around the motor are the motor mounts and frame twist.

Some mounts are very soft and allow more movement. I've seen an inch or more side to side movement.

The pair of 6BT's I had were fairly smooth on shutdown and had stiff mounts as they were in a boat. My Isuzu 4BD2 (4 cyl) in my 60 shakes about 3/4" side to side on shutdown on stock Isuzu front mounts and stock 60 transmission mount.

Frame twist causes issues also. I maintained stock fan to shroud clearance and have had no issues. You may have also mentioned the use of an exhaust flex joint, or maybe 2 of them. They work great.

Great swap!

A couple of areas to consider when it comes to tight clearances around the motor are the motor mounts and frame twist.

Some mounts are very soft and allow more movement. I've seen an inch or more side to side movement.

The pair of 6BT's I had were fairly smooth on shutdown and had stiff mounts as they were in a boat. My Isuzu 4BD2 (4 cyl) in my 60 shakes about 3/4" side to side on shutdown on stock Isuzu front mounts and stock 60 transmission mount.

Frame twist causes issues also. I maintained stock fan to shroud clearance and have had no issues. You may have also mentioned the use of an exhaust flex joint, or maybe 2 of them. They work great.

Great swap!
The 80 series stock motor mounts hold the engine pretty firm. Of course I will find out what doesn't work when it is all put together. I'm pretty sure I will be doing a lot of fine tuning.
I have one flex joint on down pipe on the 6BT in the 80.

I took a few hours today to work on the last of the cab body mounts. For the front A pillar cab mounts I started a file folder and then copied it onto a piece 3x3 square tubing. Once held in place I realized I wanted more meat on the frame so Monday I will get some 3x6 square. Shouldn’t be that hard to finish this one now. It’s been a thorn in my side as it’s not the fun part of the build. I will also not be the one doing final welding on the final product.
EF9006EC-1AD7-4E7A-ABE0-4A9B904D295C.jpeg

59E9D200-E2BC-4D06-8992-518472040207.jpeg

EA24E7B8-0D6F-4895-8037-8449D1B0C81B.jpeg

Made more progress today. I took the body off to finish the mounts. It’s just too damn hot to put in full days on the weekend so progress is slow. Rear cab mounts are ready to weld once I place the body on one last time for figment. Front cab mounts almost done. I want to slim them down a bit more by cutting off the excess once I finalize where the body mount hole will be.
4D21A98A-E01A-4799-B05D-8186517079ED.jpeg

69364A1C-5FE6-44C2-8E39-B9001C117810.jpeg

DE732DBC-7535-4DD7-B2AF-C925D46DC653.jpeg

21D024D0-6F13-4E44-A41B-8E33972ED317.jpeg

Nice. I know you're ready to get that body mount business behind you but it looks like you made sure it is good quality.

Nice. I know you're ready to get that body mount business behind you but it looks like you made sure it is good quality.
You got that right! I can’t wait to have the full body on as it will give me way more space in the garage. Body parts are literally laying everywhere. I don’t think you can walk around the truck at the moment without hopping over something.

Doing the frame off thing takes the space of a least 3 cars. Chassis, body, and parts. That's if you are neat, which I am not so much

Doing the frame off thing takes the space of a least 3 cars. Chassis, body, and parts. That's if you are neat, which I am not so much
I tried to clean the garage today and I was just repositioning stuff making no new space so I gave up. I remember a time I had the 80 and 40 nicely parked in the garage.

I’m calling it good and plan on burning them in this weekend and will cut off what isn’t needed at that time.
2A3C2EE2-0E2A-470B-86D4-C028E11708D9.jpeg

Almost made the body mount project complete. I moved the body out of the way to drill the front cab mounts and had a few too many marks and was second guessing myself where to drill. I was beat at this point and the wife gave me a look when I asked her to help lift the body the previous time so I didn’t want to ask again. So I painted the rear cab and front fender mounts and called it a day.
6E000077-73B6-465F-8A9B-98DDE65B4D14.jpeg
FDFCEA48-38AE-4C81-AB70-B507BE57C530.jpeg
47AAB3C8-B324-4581-A651-A50A7B167CA6.jpeg

Looking good Cim! It's hard to to get a ton of stuff done in this heat!

Looking good Cim! It's hard to to get a ton of stuff done in this heat!
I think I am used to it now or was on a mission this weekend. The heat didn’t bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom