Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do like the contrast but the cluster piece is another color of gray as well so it’s actually three shades.

I think it looks badass. Nice work. On the light grey? Depends on when you want to be done?, vs do you want to do it later?, vs can you live with it? You'll just roll with the best fit when it hits you.
Nothings ever done with me. I get tired of things and change it up. Once big projects are over I can’t help but fiddle and tinker with things to stay busy.

The colors all compliment each other. Just roll with it.

I dig it like a ditch. Keep it as is. Awesome process Cim.

I dig it like a ditch. Keep it as is. Awesome process Cim.
I get to dig a ditch this weekend due to the rain filling my culvert with my crushed granite driveway. Fun stuff.

You drive a Land Cruiser. Get some bigger rocks instead of that crushed granite that washes away :)

The freshly painted trip hazard is now back inside the house rather than in the cluttered garage. I put the majority of it back together just to get a feel for the color and not loose hardware. The Kubota gray is a pretty damn close match of the pad and handle. Now debating painting the light gray plastic. What everyone think?

If finding a gray shade that you like seems difficult, on the newer (still with the old dash type) 70-series, that section of the dash was just plain black, regardless of whether the dash was oak or gray. I am not exactly sure when Toyota changed it from oak/gray to black, but I think it was sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's.

See attached from a special anniversary edition of the 70-series (FZJ71) that was released in Venezuela in 2007:

Dash 70.jpg

And another photo of a MUD member with a gray dash. I think this is on an HZJ77:

Dash 70-3.jpg

I think black would look great with good contrast, too.

Just a complementary information, the special anniversary editions came with full floating rear axles (5-lug type), Toyota e-lockers front and rear, OEM snorkel, OEM jerry can holder with OEM jerry can, and a Venezuelan made front steel bumper (made by a company called TMT) with a Ramsey winch, all from factory.

Aniversario 1.jpg

Aniversario 3.jpg

Aniversario 4.jpg

Hope this helps,

-Alberto

If finding a gray shade that you like seems difficult, on the newer (still with the old dash type) 70-series, that section of the dash was just plain black, regardless of whether the dash was oak or gray. I am not exactly sure when Toyota changed it from oak/gray to black, but I think it was sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's.

See attached from a special anniversary edition of the 70-series (FZJ71) that was released in Venezuela in 2007:

View attachment 1973984

And another photo of a MUD member with a gray dash. I think this is on an HZJ77:

View attachment 1974004

I think black would look great with good contrast, too.

Just a complementary information, the special anniversary editions came with full floating rear axles (5-lug type), Toyota e-lockers front and rear, OEM snorkel, OEM jerry can holder with OEM jerry can, and a Venezuelan made front steel bumper (made by a company called TMT) with a Ramsey winch, all from factory.

View attachment 1974000

View attachment 1974002

View attachment 1974003

Hope this helps,

-Alberto
The black does look good.

My trans mount was a bit tall making the front of the engine lay onto the steering brace. I ended up cutting 1” out of it and welding it back together making a 2”x3” block. Hopefully it works out.
8424615E-4C3F-470D-B68E-C2931048A3FE.jpeg
3ECBA48C-FF22-4914-AE59-2FA942D0B88E.jpeg
97338409-9676-4EA7-94C3-A53BAC3ADD74.jpeg

I snapped this photo as I was moving the 3B out of the garage to install in the BJ40. The 6BT is a giant compared to it.
63F1D7D6-905C-461D-B755-91B5B259AE93.jpeg

It’s alive! I couldn’t keep it going long because I was only using a cup of diesel and it didn’t last long. I started it a few times but had to re prime it every time due to my cup method and the starter was getting warm so I called it a night.

Next time, run it on a couple of cans of Liquimoly Diesel Purge. Might as well clean the injection system while you're playing around :)

Next time, run it on a couple of cans of Liquimoly Diesel Purge. Might as well clean the injection system while you're playing around :)
Good call. I did put Stanadyne in the fuel filter of the 3B prepping it for start up. I don’t know why I didn’t on the 6BT.

I did lots of cutting and grinding this morning. It's officially not an 80 anymore. The body mounts used for the cab are no more. I still need to hack off the rear ones but I can wait on those. I sucked in enough metal up my nose for one day.
fullsizeoutput_93d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_93f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_93e.jpeg
IMG_1519.JPG

Man was it hot today with no breeze in Austin. I had to call it a day when the sun started creeping into the garage. I really wanted to get the hood on but I my body is not yet trained for this heat this year. Anyway started mocking up body mounts which meant I had to muscle the body back in place. I also cut and placed the inner fenders around the shock towers. I plan on using 80 series body mounts and reusing the cups from the factory mounts. They were easy to remove by drilling out the three spot welds.
71D514A8-5AD8-41B6-91CC-1F9C8C187333.jpeg

C0ED5CE9-20E5-4984-A3DF-6732E4918C06.jpeg

C64681D3-E9FE-4656-B52E-573CC47C0F13.jpeg

FDCD0269-4449-4D54-8A83-F0A6309BF306.jpeg

9F6269CF-83BE-4B53-A4F5-A862E7DCB2D5.jpeg

I got the hood back on today but the damn thing still doesn’t close. It’s close. I really don’t want to go up anymore with the body so I think I will attempt to modify the hood. It hits right on a brace which I think I can cut and figure out a way to modify it without loosing strength.
A343DA7E-2E5B-4D01-8416-62D5B008773F.jpeg
C9731BF7-3542-4187-9908-4F377E8E2B0C.jpeg
09773B67-42F0-4734-AB93-3484B7C5ECE6.jpeg

There aren't any lower profile intake horns?

There aren't any lower profile intake horns?
The stock 12v seems to be the shortest. Probably not a market for it when all the rednecks want big and flashy.
The other option would be grid heater delete but that would mean new injector lines.
I still have time to decide as I don’t plan on working on it this weekend. Hopefully the weather is tolerable to do something fun outside.

Do you really need the grid heater around here? I don't think I ever had starting issues with my old 4bt trucks. No grid heater on any of them. I wonder if @The Phoenician runs one on Big Red?

I hear you on the heat. I decided to power wash the deck instead of working on the truck. At least the water can cool me down while working.

Do you really need the grid heater around here? I don't think I ever had starting issues with my old 4bt trucks. No grid heater on any of them. I wonder if @The Phoenician runs one on Big Red?
Nope, no grid heater. BUT because timing is advanced, once it gets really cold it takes a few cranks to start it. So I use a block heater if I remember to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom