74 center arm rebuild question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to remove the old center arm to rebuild it but i cant separate the threads on the center shaft from the center linkage arm thing. I think it's been rebuilt before considering the little slot inside the sleeve doesn't line up with the grease zerk fitting pocket. I've used a boat load of penetrant and a ball joint separator tool with a mallet. I will load up photos when I can, but is there a step I'm missing here or do I just need to keep doing this for a few more days? I also cant remove the bracket because of two rusted bolts to the frame that are just spinning in air, but maybe I could get by that if I could remove the arm.

I'm trying to remove the old center arm to rebuild it but i cant separate the threads on the center shaft from the center linkage arm thing. I think it's been rebuilt before considering the little slot inside the sleeve doesn't line up with the grease zerk fitting pocket. I've used a boat load of penetrant and a ball joint separator tool with a mallet. I will load up photos when I can, but is there a step I'm missing here or do I just need to keep doing this for a few more days? I also cant remove the bracket because of two rusted bolts to the frame that are just spinning in air, but maybe I could get by that if I could remove the arm.

It can be horrible. One thing I do is watch it and get someone to work the steering wheel back and forth. If the output shaft does not move I call it good if it won’t come off.

You can also pull the top and pack fresh grease and retighten it all up

There was a lot of play when someone moved the steering wheel, so I thought it was too worn down and wanted to replace it. But I may just have to live with it I guess.

I realize now that the PO completely shot the steering system as I’ve had to replace the rag joint, tie rod ends and now the center arm.

On an old truck such as these are, and the beatings they take, you are wise to do so, for your safety and everyone else. 👍😊

my advice, do what you must to get that unit removed & rebuilt. It will drive so nicely down the road when you do.

There was a lot of play when someone moved the steering wheel, so I thought it was too worn down and wanted to replace it. But I may just have to live with it I guess.

That isn't the Land Cruiser owner spirit of firing up a cutting torch, removing the bolts, and busting it all down and rebuilding it. ;) Find a club or a other FJ40 owner and get after this. Or, post pix here and MUD will give you great ideas on how to get this done.

Treat yourself to tight steering and a learning experience. I rebuilt my center arm in the early 1990s and it's still solid today. I bought the aftermarket (555?) center arm kit from SOR, and other than a grease seal that was grossly the wrong size, I got it all apart and rebuilt (I re-used the original seal). I even added minitruck PS, so now I have tight, power steering. Final note: I adjust my center arm screw tighter than recommended, as I still saw too much play when adjusted to the 'tighten it fully, and back it off 90 degrees' spec.

View media item 89086
View media item 89087
View media item 89088

With that motivation I brought out the big guns and drilled out the bolts holding the bracket to remove it and was able to then take it apart. However in the process it looks like I bent the bottom part of the bracket where the seal goes pretty good. Not sure if I should try to replace the seal and see if it holds well or just get a new bracket.

Nice work! If you can easily get a new bracket, I guess I would, but if it's stupid money or not handy, you likely could clean it up with a file. If you keep the center arm greased, and don't immerse it in mud, weekly, it'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom