73 FJ40 - Random Complete Power Loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since last fall my 40 has been reliable and trouble free - until last weekend. While cruising about 40-mph it suddenly shut down. No sputtering at all, just died. I coasted to the side of the road turned the ignition off, then went to re-start and it fired right back up. I ran it a couple more miles incident free. Motor is stock, but i'm running petronix ignition in stock vac retard distributor. I checked all the obvious wire connection to and from the coil and battery, and all seemed good. Any ideas? Thanks!

When I had the same problem it was a worn out ignition switch. I got a new one from Toyota. Mine is a Feb 1974.

Intermittent electrical failures can be difficult to track down. There are several approaches you can take but I think the first thing I would do is, with it running, wiggle and jiggle the key to see if you can get it to die again. Stop, restart, and repeat several times.

Gremlins suck! I had a similar problem and it bumfuzzled me for a year or so. Finally found out it was the little "magic" box on my Crane elec. ignition system. Went back to points and haven't had a problem since. Also had a friend with similar problem that turned out to be an intermittent problem with the fuseable link. Good luck!

PM me if interested in going with a refurbished vacuum advance distributor. If not, you can at least disconnect the vacuum line to the retard nipple on the distributor.

Since last fall my 40 has been reliable and trouble free - until last weekend. While cruising about 40-mph it suddenly shut down. No sputtering at all, just died. I coasted to the side of the road turned the ignition off, then went to re-start and it fired right back up. I ran it a couple more miles incident free. Motor is stock, but i'm running petronix ignition in stock vac retard distributor. I checked all the obvious wire connection to and from the coil and battery, and all seemed good. Any ideas? Thanks!

1619462927003.png
View attachment 2657229
1619463013840.png

I had a '75 Camaro that had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad module in the distributor. Replaced it and all was right with the world again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom