72 FJ40 Won’t Crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1972 40 series that has had intermittent starting issues, now won’t turn over at all. With the key on accessory and “on” the radio comes on. When I go to turn it over in the “start” position, I get nothing- no clicking , no crank.
Battery is good, I’ve replaced the battery terminal connections and chassis ground to battery.
When I jump the starter direct to battery at the solenoid, the engine turns over, starter works.

Should I be looking at the ignition switch itself and/ or wiring between solenoid and ignition switch ?

1972 40 series that has had intermittent starting issues, now won’t turn over at all. With the key on accessory and “on” the radio comes on. When I go to turn it over in the “start” position, I get nothing- no clicking , no crank.
Battery is good, I’ve replaced the battery terminal connections and chassis ground to battery.
When I jump the starter direct to battery at the solenoid, the engine turns over, starter works.

Should I be looking at the ignition switch itself and/ or wiring between solenoid and ignition switch ?
Could be a bad switch, but might just be the connector.
Check the connector on the steering column for corrosion, or you might try cleaning out the ignition switch.
If you pull the connector and you can hot wire it, then you can show that the rest of the circuit is good.

Could be a bad switch, but might just be the connector.
Check the connector on the steering column for corrosion, or you might try cleaning out the ignition switch.
If you pull the connector and you can hot wire it, then you can show that the rest of the circuit is good.
By hotwire do you mean jump the connector at the “start” position in the connector ?

Yes, use a short wire to flash across between the 12v feed and the starter wire.
On my truck the feed wire is white-blue and the start wire is black white.
As soon as they touch, the solenoid should click and turn the starter.

Yes, use a short wire to flash across between the 12v feed and the starter wire.
On my truck the feed wire is white-blue and the start wire is black white.
As soon as they touch, the solenoid should click and turn the starter.
Got nothing when i jumped the connector

Nevermind...

Where should I be checking grounds that would affect the ignition circuit? I know they’re all tied together on these Toyotas

Got nothing when i jumped the connector
Ok cool. Then you are closing in on your problem.

So you have 12v at the connector but if you bridge it to the start wire pin then nothing happens. Not even a relay click.
Sounds like you have a break in that start wire somewhere between the connector pin and the solenoid.

Check the connector carefully - especially the crimped contacts. A photo of the front and back would be nice.

If that all looks good then my next check would be the solenoid connector.

Are you sure the starter works? A good thick jumper cable from the +battery post right to the post on the starter will test it.

I have taken the solenoid relay apart and dressed the heavy copper contacts on the inside with a file.

Are you sure the starter works? A good thick jumper cable from the +battery post right to the post on the starter will test it.

I have taken the solenoid relay apart and dressed the heavy copper contacts on the inside with a file.
Yeah, I jumped the starter solenoid direct to battery and it cranks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom