72 FJ40 converted to a 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@olaggie01 if you can remove the crossmembers you should be able to pull the whole assembly at once. I've done it both ways, in and out of a truck... Biggest thing that helped was having enough height on the crane/hoist to lift high enough for the transfer to clear the front frame. Helps if you use as short a chain as possible to lift. I also used a tranny jack underneath to help control the tranny as we moved the assembly forward.

@olaggie01 if you can remove the crossmembers you should be able to pull the whole assembly at once. I've done it both ways, in and out of a truck... Biggest thing that helped was having enough height on the crane/hoist to lift high enough for the transfer to clear the front frame. Helps if you use as short a chain as possible to lift. I also used a tranny jack underneath to help control the tranny as we moved the assembly forward.

Thanks Breck. Makes sense. I'll see how the hoist lines up and if it is easier to disconnect the transmission and t-case or leave together.

There isn't a cross member on this truck

I was referring to the rear bellhousing mounts, but you are correct.

Looking at Dan's gauge pod that he built, anyone see any issues with these pods?

Nothing wrong with those.. I liked westach for gauges because they made gauges with multiple inputs on one gauge body...

@olaggie01 the engine should have a front and rear engine hook where you can hook the chain... I used a load leveler that has two chains hanging and you can feed them through the hooks and use a large bolt and washers to 'tie' the chain...

If you don't have enough height you can hook just a chain through the crane's hook after attaching at the two engine hooks and remove the leveler...

If the engine runs, there are plenty of people that could use it who want to reverse a V8 swap and go back to stock drivetrain... Someone will want it, but it's not worth a ton... I'd say 2 to 3k for the setup running well is fair if you include the accessories and stuff you don't need for the diesel like the coil and igniter...

@olaggie01 the engine should have a front and rear engine hook where you can hook the chain... I used a load leveler that has two chains hanging and you can feed them through the hooks and use a large bolt and washers to 'tie' the chain...

If you don't have enough height you can hook just a chain through the crane's hook after attaching at the two engine hooks and remove the leveler...

If the engine runs, there are plenty of people that could use it who want to reverse a V8 swap and go back to stock drivetrain... Someone will want it, but it's not worth a ton... I'd say 2 to 3k for the setup running well is fair if you include the accessories and stuff you don't need for the diesel like the coil and igniter...

Prices must be way different in California. I couldn't give mine away. Your best bet is to post it up the classifieds. It's a f and 3spd? Or f1.5 4spd? Latter would be more desirable.

I may be off and hang around with more purist leaning guys. 🙃 I just know that there are some rigs that some would love to keep a period correct engine in, and they are getting harder and harder to find... If the OP has room and patience, I think someone would eventually love to have it and not see it go to scrap.

I may be off and hang around with more purist leaning guys. 🙃 I just know that there are some rigs that some would love to keep a period correct engine in, and they are getting harder and harder to find... If the OP has room and patience, I think someone would eventually love to have it and not see it go to scrap.

If I could get anything for it, I'd be happy. I'll post it up on here on the classifieds. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom