70 series newbie...which diesel engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Interested in 70 series diesel. Can anyone tell me which engine is preferable in these trucks? Thanks in advance.

My opinion? 1HZ for parts availability.

Uh-oh. Potential for deadly cross-fire.
I have a 13BT in my BJ74. That made it cheap enough for me to be able to purchase.
No new parts being made for mine.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I've owned a few Land cruisers, but all have been gasoline powered. Thought I'd venture into the diesel side for a change, love the look of the 70 series, but SO many variations on engines.........and being new to diesels, I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the choices.

I only suggested the 1HZ because it is still made by Toyota, yet you can get this engine in 25+ year old Land Cruisers that are imported. As far I know, no other Toyota diesel engine falls in both categories.

I agree.
I am placing faith in the proverbial durability of my 13BT.
And the knowledge that engine swaps are do-able.

I agree.
I am placing faith in the proverbial durability of my 13BT.
And the knowledge that engine swaps are do-able.

Yeah, there are some Toyota diesel engine parts that if they break will turn your cruiser into huge paperweight real quickly as you go searching for a replacement.

I have owned a 1HZ powered HZJ73 and I currently own a bitchin 13B-T powered BJ74. I can say unequivocally that while the 13B-T is fun and I don't dislike it, the 1HZ is a vastly superior motor in every way except for the fact that the 13B-T is a simple tractor motor that I can tinker on with abandon. If you're looking for a reference us American Cruiser heads understand: it's like comparing a 1FZ to a 2F (except for the fact that the 1FZ is way more powerful).

Parts availability of the 1HZ alone gets the vote. My BJ74 is cable locked and in good shape so I wouldn't trade it, but I've already found that lack of parts makes it a bummer when I bought it to daily drive it.

I would search for a 1HZ powered rig. I wouldn't turbo it. I would drive it, change the timing belt when it's due and keep the oil fresh and just enjoy it for the nearly perfect and adequately powered truck motor that it is. That being said, I stumbled across my BJ74 in really, really good shape with low KMs and a price that I couldn't beat. I would do it again despite all of these things, the motor itself will run forever as long as I don't do something stupid and blow it up, and just about everything that wears out can be retrofitted with something else or rebuilt. Same goes for a 3B (as long as you don't need to go fast-ish), 1PZ (same as 1HZ minus a cylinder) and if you want a Prado, 1KZ. Find one in good shape with the options you want you really can't lose.

I have owned a 1HZ powered HZJ73 and I currently own a bitchin 13B-T powered BJ74. I can say unequivocally that while the 13B-T is fun and I don't dislike it, the 1HZ is a vastly superior motor in every way except for the fact that the 13B-T is a simple tractor motor that I can tinker on with abandon. If you're looking for a reference us American Cruiser heads understand: it's like comparing a 1FZ to a 2F (except for the fact that the 1FZ is way more powerful).

Parts availability of the 1HZ alone gets the vote. My BJ74 is cable locked and in good shape so I wouldn't trade it, but I've already found that lack of parts makes it a bummer when I bought it to daily drive it.

I would search for a 1HZ powered rig. I wouldn't turbo it. I would drive it, change the timing belt when it's due and keep the oil fresh and just enjoy it for the nearly perfect and adequately powered truck motor that it is. That being said, I stumbled across my BJ74 in really, really good shape with low KMs and a price that I couldn't beat. I would do it again despite all of these things, the motor itself will run forever as long as I don't do something stupid and blow it up, and just about everything that wears out can be retrofitted with something else or rebuilt. Same goes for a 3B (as long as you don't need to go fast-ish), 1PZ (same as 1HZ minus a cylinder) and if you want a Prado, 1KZ. Find one in good shape with the options you want you really can't lose.
This is great info and exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you.......and now the search begins!

Great advice from @MyCruiserisaHogBeast

I too own a BJ74. I bought mine needing the engine to be rebuilt (300k miles, hose blew on free-way and blew the headgasket) I opted to fully rebuild it.
Down to a bare block rebuild, I was able to get all parts I needed for a full rebuild: pistons, sleeves, gaskets, bearings, seals, etc so it's not quite as scary as you think if you need parts to rebuild.

You however won't find a block/head/camshaft/crank, intake/exhaust, grid heaters lots of things like that new. You can find them used though with some searching but it's nothing like being able to find EVERY part for a 1HZ.

My Vote:
1HZ - again, great engine, parts availability however a bit sluggish in some of the Troopy or heavier models. In HZJ73, it would be fine.

then:
13BT - Excellent little tractor motor, Factory direct injected turbo diesel, (don't confuse these at all with the 2LT/2LTE engines) mine runs excellent, no timing belt, moves fairly quick for a cruiser hoping to not have to worry about it for a long time, SIMPLE SIMPLE to work on, easy to turn up boost/fuel/intercool to get good power.
3B - underpowered, but can be turbo'd, parts availability issues, not as bad as the 13BT though.

I guess my point on the 13BT is, unless you really trash a 13BT/3B they can be rebuilt as basically all parts needed for a full rebuild can be found. If you trash a CAM/Crank/head/block you are going to be searching used. These motors are tough as hell and as long as it's in good shape, I wouldn't be paranoid about it knowing you can rebuild.

Personally I'd look for the 1HZ, but not shy away at all from a BJ74 or 13BT powered rig provided it's taken care of, that 13BT is an excellent engine.

Are you looking for any specific 70 series? Short Wheel base? Medium Wheel base? Soft top? Troopy? Pickup?

Oh an auto vs 5spd makes a pretty big difference in these engines.

Last edited:
13B-T is my all time favourite motor, for all the reasons previously stated. But, for all those same reasons... I own 4 of them. So far, they are all complete and run and drive, but I own many to keep a few alive throughout my lifetime. So far, the accessories are getting scavenged.... A/C components, an Alternator.

1HZ in a heavy duty leaf sprung cruiser or 1KZ in a coil sprung light duty cruiser.

I favor the factory turbo motors and would like a 1HD-FTE. Unfortunately, it didn't come in 78/79 series until 2001 (less than 25 years old), which means it would have to be an engine swap for US folks.

1HZ is a glorified tractor motor too, go for 1HDT or 1HDFT, they are not as scarce as they used to be, you'll regret later if you don't. But most 70 series did not come with those stock, will require a swap, but you could factor that into the purchase strategy, and not be limited to the model based on engine. For instance a troopy with a 2H, will be cheaper or easier to find then one with a 1HZ. Bottom line, it is very unlikely youll find a cruiser that checks all your boxes out of the gate, or it will be mega $$$$. Swapping motors especially if it was already some kind of diesel is not that daunting of a task as it seems. I hated the 1HZ in my 77, swapping it out completely transformed the truck and I love owning/driving it, engine has a lot to do with that.

I have driven the HZ1 , and the HD-T , on the same car ,
no question HD-T all day , much more modern motor , super reliable , and 95% of parts are the same as Hz1 .
no shortage in spare parts .
the problem in Usa I believe is to find an original Toyota turbo diesel .

I feel the 1H series of motors has the most readily available sources for parts, with partsoque, megazip, amayama, I rarely have trouble finding any parts I need. They are all very similar and share most parts, plus there is a lot of aftermarket for them in the AUS.

@renago Yes they are not available in the US like an LS, but i bet there has been at least 10 of them for sale on the classifieds this year alone. Some from other countries, shipping these has gotten pretty simple.

I think it is just a matter of if grandma in her Buick passing you on the freeway pisses you off or not. If it does, then definitely go for the 1HDT.

I have had both cars and trucks that were boosted and I am over it personally. I leave a bit earlier for work and let granny pass me on my way there.

If I lived in an area where there are a lot of mountains, then that is a different story.

Yeah but 1HDT didn't come in 70s and also the 1HZ has zero issues. Doesn't the 1HDT have bottom end issues? I guess if you're doing a rebuild yourself just to make sure you're safe. I have driven a 1HDT powered 80 series and it had some serious shove, I liked it a lot. That being said I'm going for reliability and set it and forget it with my 70 series. If I wanted something custom I had to **** with all the time I would have kept my transmission consuming Cummins powered FJ62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom