7 pin mod - 1999 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done the cdl mod. Now the question is this, does the 7 pin mod need to be done on the '99 100 series?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

UZJ100

Last edited:
Does the cdl mod let you disengage the center diff in low gear? If this is correct, what does the 7 pin mod do?

-Matt

That is what I am trying to figure out. I read somewhere it retained your low range transmission gearing however I feel no difference in gearing if I am in low range with cdl locked or unlocked.

Someone please help me straighten this out. ???

uzj100

Last edited:
>> low range transmission gearing <<

Shift points, not gearing.
-B-

"Pin 7" refers to the 80 series CDL modification whereby you eliminate automatic locking of the center diff when the vehicle is shifted into low range. The 100 series also has a center diff lock control relay. It too has black wire with a blue tracer in pin 7. I personally have not tried it on a 100. I am staring at the EWD for a 99 and the overall layout is different.

Now I understand. I have kind of done the 7 pin mod however I used the old fashion way of actually unplugging the wire harness from the top of my transfer case that made this happen. I can run low range with the cd locked or unlocked.

I thought the 7 pin mod was something else.

Thank you for clearing that up.

uzj100

Last edited:
Unplugging that connecter gives you the ability to lock/unlock the t-case in lo range, HOWEVER when unlocked in lo the tranny shiftpoints will be for the hi range set and not the lo range set. The pin 7 mod gives you the selectability of the connector with The proper transmission shift set.

This because besides interupting the signal to pin7 you are also interupting the signal to tell the tranny that you are in lo range which will then adjust the shift set.

Has anybody actually disconnected "pin 7" on a 100 series? As I told Augie on another thread, I'm not sure that I can get my fingers into there. :-\

LT
8)

>> Now I understand. <<

Andrew,
Rick's post above explains the purpose of the Pin-7 mod. As several have said, this is a FZJ80 modification that should be done in conjunction with installation of the CDL switch for full driver control of the center diff locking and retaining proper shift points in low range and in high range.

-B-

[quote author=LT link=board=2;threadid=11028;start=msg99416#msg99416 date=1075948781]
Has anybody actually disconnected "pin 7" on a 100 series? As I told Augie on another thread, I'm not sure that I can get my fingers into there. :-\

LT
8)
[/quote]

Use your finger to reach to the right side of the connector and push the locking tab. At the same time use your left hand from under the dash to pull the wiring harness slightly. Once unhooked you would be able to pull it out thru the glove box opening and do your modification.

FYI: My hands are not that small either :)

Thanks guys. Can someone instruct me on how to perform the mod to the 100 or point me to thread with the instructions?

uzj100

Last edited:
All on you UZJ100. My remarks was based on an 80 and wanted to make sure you understood what we're doing and why. Dan states there is a similar wire at the same location on a 100. I'd take a shot at it and see what happens, you might get lucky ;).

the freezing rain has started, and we're supposed to get storms through Saturday. If it dries out a little on Sunday, I might give it a whirl.

LT
8)

Guys,

I know this post is old however I got all the way to the 7 pin and could not get the wire out of the connector. Does anyone have a trick for this?

Thanks,

uzj100

uzj100 said:
Guys,

I know this post is old however I got all the way to the 7 pin and could not get the wire out of the connector. Does anyone have a trick for this?

Thanks,

uzj100

Cut the wire...dicking around with pulling the connector out is just a waste of time. I dont see myself ever reconnecting it, even if I sell it.

LandCruiserPhil said:
Cut the wire...dicking around with pulling the connector out is just a waste of time. I dont see myself ever reconnecting it, even if I sell it.

I agree. Just cut and tape it up. If you ever need to reconnect, just solder it back together.

I need to go home and try out the truck in Lo range. For some reason I was under the impression that the T-case was fully selectable, in either Hi or Lo, from the factory.

...err, I guess I don't wheel it enough (read: at all)...

Its very easy to take it off.
Use small eye glasses flat screwdriver. find which side of the pin have the hook. Slip the screwdriver in between the plastic connector and the hook (from connector side). Give it a slight tug from wire side and it should come off.

I am done. I got it out without cutting however that is a quite a biatch. I only cut myself once in the process.

thanks for the info,

uzj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom