LX470 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pin-7 mod for 100 Series

Actually the 100 Series already has the center diff switch so you can engage it in High. By default when you switch to the Low range the center diff locker is automaticly engaged. The pin-7 mod disables the automatic engagement so you can choose to have an open center diff in the Low range. This let's you use the low range on surfaces with high traction without drivetrain windup. Some people want this for boat docks, etc. I've found that it gives me a nice option to have the extra power and control at slow speed on some rough dirt/rock trails. When I come to any obstacle I can choose to engage the center and rear lockers as needed.

Here is Christo Slee's writeup on the 80 Series version of the mod:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_cdl_pin7mod.htm

The 100 Series has the center diff control box in a different place (behind the glove box), but otherwise the mod is the same.

Here are the steps for the 100 Series (sorry I didn't take pictures):
1) Remove the glove box door (two screws on the bottom)
2) Remove the black plastic trim piece at the top of the glove box opening (3 screws)
3) Remove the three sheetmetal bolts holding the main ECU (big silver box). You don't have to unplug it, just move it out of the way so you can get to the transmission control relay on the right.
4) Find the black transmission control relay and unplug the wiring harness from the bottom. This is kind of tricky. There is a latch on the back and you have to pull down fairly hard. I used pliers to pull down and then pressed the latch with my finger.
5) Remove the pin-7 wire (black with blue tracer). The pin numbers are marked on the plug, but they are very hard to see. The Slee offroad site has good pictures showing how to remove the pin.
6) I used heat shrink to insulate the pin and labeled it so next time I'm in there I know why there is a loose wire!
7) Reassemble.

References:
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_cdl_pin7mod.htm
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=24025&highlight=pin-7
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=10678&highlight=pin-7

Maybe this should be in the FAQ.

My '99 didn't have one either. Called up the local Toyota dealer, and they don't have one listedin the books at all. Ordered one from the website linked above. Weird a corolla has one, but a $50000 vehicle does not.

Also FYI: Now that I have had the filters in for a week or so...the only downside, albeit a small one, is the fan blower now seems to blow less CFM (vent side). We'll see how it does when it gets to summer here and 95+ degree temps...

Is there any less dust?

I checked at Autozone and Napa today, neither of them have the Lexus filter available, FYI.

spressomon said:
Also FYI: Now that I have had the filters in for a week or so...the only downside, albeit a small one, is the fan blower now seems to blow less CFM (vent side). We'll see how it does when it gets to summer here and 95+ degree temps...

You should still be fine even when the heat gets here. I had my dirty filters in last summer with well over 95 temps and it got plenty cool. Much colder discharge temps than my then brand spankin new tacoma could manage. :eek:

Tad

hank14 said:
Is there any less dust?

I checked at Autozone and Napa today, neither of them have the Lexus filter available, FYI.

The filters definitely work! No more dust/pollen/etc. coming through the ventilation system and significantly less smoke and exhaust from cars in front.

tabraha said:
You should still be fine even when the heat gets here. I had my dirty filters in last summer with well over 95 temps and it got plenty cool. Much colder discharge temps than my then brand spankin new tacoma could manage. :eek:

Tad

Good to know Tab...and thanks again for your thread!

I checked for them in my 99 LC and the space was there but no filters. Window sticker lists "auto climate control with air filtration" as std equip.

-Mark

Order 'em up from Cdan and put 'em in...they're great. It is a mistery why Toyota just didn't put them in there to begin with...but grateful they can be easily added!

And AR if your air box is like mine was before the filter install be sure to vaccum out all the leaves, pine needles, debris, etc. from the bottom track otherwise the filters will not fit...

for those that have put filters in, is their room for a filter 1" wide or is the tolerance to tight?

I have an 01 and when I opened it up it looked as if the filter was metal, is that possible?

Is the filter frame metal or the filter media?

They're just regular plastic frame/paper media filters. I ordered mine at sparkplugs.com from a post above- they do fit nice and tight -as intended I'm sure.

PS. the order took a couple weeks to ship.

lhl said:
I have an 01 and when I opened it up it looked as if the filter was metal, is that possible?

You must be looking at the A/C cooler unit on the left side which is made of thin metal mesh, this is where the air is cooled as it goes thru fine chilled mesh. If the paper filters is there, you won't see anything, just the plastic edge of filter.

My 1999 has the same metal mesh on the left side. Clean as a whistle. I think I'll leave it be.

I'm not running a clean room here, and I usually have my roof and rear quarterpanels open as long as it's not actually raining.

LT

I know this is an old thread, but I have a data point to add.

My dad's 2004 100-series Land Cruiser purchased in August of 2004 does not have any provision for the cabin filters as described above. I pulled it all apart, and there is no cover or opening in the black plastic box.

Were the cabin filters perhaps relocated or deemed "lifetime" filters that don't need changing?

Ary

Last edited:
Why would they re-engineer that after 5 years of the same part? See if you can get a pic for us Ary. I'm curious to see what they've done differently. Maybe they are running a charcoal canister now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom