6th Gen 4Runner news and rumors (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With that trim of Bronco you will get 35’s, removable top and doors, and a better off roader out of the box, but also less towing, less payload, less interior space, and most likely lesser build quality. I acknowledge none of those things may matter to you.
I suspect that the Bronco will also be significantly noisier inside.

I’m not looking for a rock crawler. Whatever I lease will be to haul bird dogs and snow travel. Oh, and the tax write off is the main reason.
For this use case have you considered the current gen 5 4R? It would be perfect if you can tolerate the old power train and tech.

Fortunately you said you have time on your side which is a luxury. But if my hands were forced to buy now…. Just food for thought.

Or get your Bronco but if you’re not smashing rocks I don’t think I’d bother with the Sasquatch package which would save you some money but you also mentioned leasing so hey, maybe roll the dice on the Bronco. Life is short.

Last edited:
I suspect that the Bronco will also be significantly noisier inside.
They aren’t quiet inside that’s for sure. I’ve test driven a base manual, a wildtrack auto, and ridden shotgun a few times in a buddies outer banks which is supposed to be their “luxury” trim. All of them have high levels of NVH. I’m not knocking them for it, it’s just one of those things you sign up for when driving something like that.

For this use case have you considered the current gen 5 4R? It would be perfect if you can tolerate the old power train and tech.

Fortunately you said you have time on your side which is a luxury. But if my hands were forced to buy now…. Just food for thought.

Or get your Bronco but if you’re not smashing rocks I don’t think I’d bother with the Sasquatch package which would save you some money but you also mentioned leasing so hey, maybe roll the dice on the Bronco. Life is short.

There won’t be any new Gen 5s around in a year. I had a silver 2024 SR5 waiting with my name on it at my dealer, but after the low ball on the Tundra, I would be paying an extra $18k over the term of the next lease. I assured them I didn’t have “idiot” tattooed across my forehead. I will be changing dealers once the Tundra lease is turned in. (It’s a dealer lease, not Toyota, so I can’t trade in early outside their network).

I wouldn’t get a Bronco without the Squatch. They look dumb without it in my eyes. Resale/trade in value will be better with the Sasquatch if we want to do something different. I go off-road a LOT, but it’s mostly hunting and fishing access. There are definitely spots where 35s are an advantage. My Sequoia does fine on its 33s, and the Squatch tires are 315-75s so 34.3” tall. Stock height anything would be dragging on a bunch off access roads.

The takeaway is, if a 1958 is available, and not crazy priced, I would prefer that route. But it will also need a 2” lift and 33s, as would a 6th Gen Frunner. Having a year to wait gives me the luxury of seeing how this plays out. With Tundras having engine failures (I actually know of a local one that kicked the bucket with 12,000 miles on it), I will be watching to see how it goes for the new 250/Taco/6th gens do. We had a Wildtrak on order right at the start, and ended up going to the Tundra because of the issues and waits. I had hoped Toyota could launch these without the same Ford style teething issues, but it seems they are not going to get away without some form of reliability and supply drama.

There won’t be any new Gen 5s around in a year. I had a silver 2024 SR5 waiting with my name on it at my dealer, but after the low ball on the Tundra, I would be paying an extra $18k over the term of the next lease. I assured them I didn’t have “idiot” tattooed across my forehead. I will be changing dealers once the Tundra lease is turned in. (It’s a dealer lease, not Toyota, so I can’t trade in early outside their network).

I wouldn’t get a Bronco without the Squatch. They look dumb without it in my eyes. Resale/trade in value will be better with the Sasquatch if we want to do something different. I do go off-road a LOT, but it’s mostly hunting and fishing access. There are definitely spots where 35s are an advantage. My Sequoia does fine on its 33s, and the Squatch tires are 315-75s so 34.3” tall.

The takeaway is, if a 1958 is available, and not crazy priced, I would prefer that route. But it will also need a 2” lift and 33s, as would a 6th Gen Frunner. Having a year to wait gives me the luxury of seeing how this plays out. With Tundras having engine failures (I actually know of a local one that kicked the bucket with 12,000 miles on it), I will be watching to see how it goes for the new 250/Taco/6th gens do. We had a Wildtrak on order right at the start, and ended up going to the Tundra because of the issues and waits. I had hoped Toyota could launch these without the same Ford style teething issues, but it seems they are not going to get away without some form of reliability and supply drama.
They come with a 32.6" tire in some trims (265/70R18) and should be able to fit a 34 or larger with how the shape of the wheel
opening is and the decreased scrub radius of the TNGFA suspension, assuming one doesn't go crazy with the offset.

They aren’t quiet inside that’s for sure. I’ve test driven a base manual, a wildtrack auto, and ridden shotgun a few times in a buddies outer banks which is supposed to be their “luxury” trim. All of them have high levels of NVH. I’m not knocking them for it, it’s just one of those things you sign up for when driving something like that.
Right. Which is why I’m not a fan of removable roofs. My SUV is my daily driver, not just a weekend toy, and I’ve got a long commute. So NVH is important to me.

NVH? North Vietnamese Hamsters?

None of my trucks are “quiet”. Tundra is 5.7 with TRD in and out, 35” Toyos. Sequoia has 4.7 with Magnaflow exhaust and is my quietest rig. I have daily driven FJ 40s, with most of my trucks being diesels with MTs, so I’m not new to road noise…

NVH? North Vietnamese Hamsters?
Noise, vibration, and harshness.
None of my trucks are “quiet”. Tundra is 5.7 with TRD in and out, 35” Toyos. Sequoia has 4.7 with Magnaflow exhaust and is my quietest rig. I have daily driven FJ 40s, with most of my trucks being diesels with MTs, so I’m not new to road noise…
Noise is tiring, particularly on long trips. 35” tires? No thank you very much. I had 33” K02s on my 200 for a while. Rotating those darn things was a pain in my back.

Noise, vibration, and harshness.

Noise is tiring, particularly on long trips. 35” tires? No thank you very much. I had 33” K02s on my 200 for a while. Rotating those darn things was a pain in my back.
That's why I love my Revos. At least while I am commuting in all conditions. Only 50# with an E Load Range (285/70r17) and while they won't impress you in mud, with Atrac I still get everywhere I want as long as I give it 24 hours after it rains.

I know a lot of places would absolutely murder the Revos but with just different kinds of soils here in Iowa, they do alright.

20240429_153540.jpg

I've got Michelin Defenders now. It's a highway tire, rather than a true A/T like the K02.

I've got Michelin Defenders now. It's a highway tire, rather than a true A/T like the K02.
What's on the 4Runner. Not something I would make a habit of, but I did get out of a muddy situation with those all seasons.

image000000(5).jpg

image000001(1).jpg

Damn… I’ve stumbled into a secret soft-core tire fetish scene…

I live on a country acreage and spend a portion of every single day off pavement. I’m not looking for a commuter vehicle. I’ve driven my manual trans and no AC 60 series diesel on 33” BFG MTs from Canada to Central America a half dozen times.

Those Commie Hamsters don’t frighten me:flipoff2:

Damn… I’ve stumbled into a secret soft-core tire fetish scene…

I live on a country acreage and spend a portion of every single day off pavement. I’m not looking for a commuter vehicle. I’ve driven my manual trans and no AC 60 series diesel on 33” BFG MTs from Canada to Central America a half dozen times.

Those Commie Hamsters don’t frighten me:flipoff2:
Nah, just a bad back from an injury when I was in the Air Force. Discs are apparently important, who knew?

Nah, just a bad back from an injury when I was in the Air Force. Discs are apparently important, who knew?

Probably not too much call for rock crawling and mudding in Des Moines either:rofl:

I missed seeing the first 1958 to be delivered to the big dealer in Spokane by about an hour yesterday. Truck hadn’t arrived yet, and I had places to be. If it weren’t a 2 hour drive each way, I’d go back this morning to see it in person. $59k for it. This is the first of 9 they are getting, and all are sold. No drive available but I could at least sit in one and get a sense of it. Next time…

Probably not too much call for rock crawling and mudding in Des Moines either:rofl:

I missed seeing the first 1958 to be delivered to the big dealer in Spokane by about an hour yesterday. Truck hadn’t arrived yet, and I had places to be. If it weren’t a 2 hour drive each way, I’d go back this morning to see it in person. $59k for it. This is the first of 9 they are getting, and all are sold. No drive available but I could at least sit in one and get a sense of it. Next time…
Lol no, and with how good ATRAC is, as long as I don't go out for about 18 hours after it rains, I won't be pissing off any farmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom